Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sowon

Cryp-No Currency - Visa, Mastercard, eBay, & Others Exit Facebook's Cryptocurrency Campaign

Posted · Original PosterOP

Source: The Verge

Major investors (can we even call them that anymore?) Visa, Mastercard, eBay, Stripe, & Mercado Pago have withdrawn from Facebook's Libra cryoptocurrency association. This comes after eBay started the exits last week.

Visa, Mastercard, eBay, Stripe, and Mercado Pago have all withdrawn from the Libra Association, dealing a major blow to Facebook’s plans for a distributed, global cryptocurrency. The withdrawals were first reported by the Financial Times and Bloomberg.

A Visa spokesperson told The Verge. “Visa has decided not to join the Libra Association at this time,” the spokesperson said. “We will continue to evaluate and our ultimate decision will be determined by a number of factors, including the Association’s ability to fully satisfy all requisite regulatory expectations.”

The withdrawals leave Libra with no major US payment processor, a serious issue for the fledgling project. They also come just one week after PayPal (eBay’s former subsidiary) withdrew from the association.

eBay & Stripe gave statements on their stance on the Facebook Libra Association:

“We highly respect the vision of the Libra Association,” eBay said in a statement. “However, eBay has made the decision to not move forward as a founding member. At this time, we are focused on rolling out eBay’s managed payments experience for our customers.”

Stripe gave a similar explanation for its withdrawal. “Stripe is supportive of projects that aim to make online commerce more accessible for people around the world,” the company said. “Libra has this potential. We will follow its progress closely and remain open to working with the Libra Association at a later stage.” Mastercard did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Libra's Dante Disparte then responded to the exits by shedding light upon the situation and giving a final word on the association.

“We are focused on moving forward and continuing to build a strong association of some of the world’s leading enterprises, social impact organizations and other stakeholders,” Disparte said. “We look forward to the inaugural Libra Association Council meeting in just 3 days and announcing the initial members of the Libra Association.”

I don't follow cryptocurrencies at all, but the fact tha eBay, Visa, & Mastercard have all pulled out probably says something about what could come out of Facebook's new cryptocurrency campaign. The backers behind Libra still seem ambitious about the campaign so I'm interested to see how it all pans out. It's Facebook though, so don't hold your breath.

Mechanical Keyboards Enthusiast

Switch Reviews

KBDfans 5 Degree

67g Zealios V2 lubed with Tribosys 3204

Zeal stabilizers lubed with dielectric grease & Krtox 205g0

Brass plate

Always lube your linear switches!

I think they realized regulations would come the moment a problem occured and that a problem WOULD occur.

the original idea for crypto was for it to be de-centralized. A credit/financial corporation can deploy crypto internally for integreity and auditing purposes, but to sell it to the wider population when they already have centralized money in the form of legal tender? Na, I won't be using Libra fake zuckerbucks.

anigif_enhanced-24738-1424823921-15.gif

Zuck bout to retaliate.

Build Logs: Cotton Candy Threads | ZEN CLARITY + | Just NCASE mITX | Noc Noc | NUC | Storage Log

Cotton Candy Threads - CPU AMD Threadripper 2950X | GPU EVGA FTW3 RTX 2080 Ti | MOBO Asus ROG Zenith Extreme | MEMORY 128GB (8x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 | STORAGE 3x Samsung 960 Evo SSD + 4x Crucial P1 1TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB 7.2k HDDs | PSU Corsair HX1200i w/ Cablemod Pro Extensions | COOLING Cooler Master TR4 ML360 | CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black | LIGHTING 2x Corsair HD120 Fans, 4x Corsair Addressable RGB Strips, 2x Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

ZEN CLARITY + - CPU AMD Ryzen 2700X | GPU Radeon VII | MOBO Crosshair VII Hero | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Pro SSD + 2x SanDisk Ultra II SSDs | PSU Corsair RM1000i | COOLING Corsair H150i Pro | CASE Crystal 570X | LIGHTING 6x Corsair SP120 Fans, Cablemod Addressable RGB Strip, Corsair Commander Pro | PCPP

Just NCASE mITX - CPU Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz | GPU EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC | MOBO Asus Z370-I Gaming | MEMORY 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Triden-Z RGB 3000 | STORAGE Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD + Corsair MX500 1TB M.2 SSD | PSU Corsair SF600 | COOLING Noctua NH-U9S w/ Redux Push/Pull Fans | CASE NCase M1v5 | LIGHTING 2x Cablemod Addressable RGB Strips | PCPP

Noc Noc, Who's There? - CPU AMD Threadripper 1950X | GPU ASUS RTX 2080 Ti OC | MOBO ASRock X399M Taichi | MEMORY 32GB (4x 8GB) GSkill Trident-Z 3200 | STORAGE Samsung 970 Evo SSD | PSU Corsair HX1000i w/ Cablemod Pro B&W Kit | COOLING Noctua U9 TR4 w/ 2x Redux 92mm | CASE Corsair 280X White | FANS 6x Noctua 140mm Redux | PCPP

Hopefully this project wi crash, burn and be remembered as a dumpster fire for all of history :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally)...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

As secure as the services I use for crypto...just the thought of anything FB related would push me away completely.

To access my crypto wallet you have to have the 27 word passphrase...FB would just leave that in a text file somewhere waiting to be found lol.

Major companies not participating is typically political, as they don't care as long as its profitable.  

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiator, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, 2x Gigabyte HD 7850 2gb GPUs in crossfire, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, PCCOOLING 160w TDP air cooler, 60gb Patriot SSD Win 10 boot drive, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, Roku 55" 4k TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, M.2 Intel Wifi/Bluetooth

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

On 10/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, lewdicrous said:

The other companies probably waited for someone else to exit before they too can leave the sinking ship of a project.

Eh, no.

These companies all smelled the regulation coming and don't want to be be part of the manure pile Facebook jumped face first into. They initially backed it because they didn't want it to be the next Apple Pay and not benefit from it again.

The "cryptocoin" tech is fairly sound, but the potential for it to be misused is astronomical. There is no way a legitimate company would want to be involved in creating any kind of cryptocoin that might undermine the domestic banking system. 

Bitcoin, Etherium, and so forth are all rubbish, they are Ponzi schemes, and once a true answer to a global currency arrives, these will have no value. Till then, they're today's penny-stock pump-and-dump, and used primarily by people laundering money.

What it will take is a global agreement (which will likely not happen without Mastercard's Cirrus network blessing) for this currency to be available on all banking networks, otherwise it would be relegated to an app that may end up banned or regulated in some countries, narrowing or eliminating it's potential. See how we have problems with data privacy already with multinationals like Google and Facebook already.

Another problem is that money laundering will always find a way, so things that enable it, will always be regulated out of existance. It's currently popular to launder money through online games by converting game card time into money, and that's something that still goes unregulated. It will take a crackdown on "micro -transactions" for that to end.

Much to the ire of many people who don't understand economies beyond pocket money -  master card, visa etc have always been cautious about interacting with currencies that lack conventional regulation.  Mastercard CEO doesn't like them at all, and Visa CEO says they engage if the global market embraces blockchain currencies.  But neither are concerned about their existence right now.   I think what people tend to forget is that it is not the currencies that dictate if they are regulated and how, but economic forces that underpin whole economies is what controls the value of any one currency. 

just my 2c.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.