1440p, 144hz, 400EUR, 31-32" monitor choice

TMobile
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
53 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

wow, this is a really detailed response, thanks for making it this clear!

I run a rtx 2070, but If amd were to release a decent priced 5800xt or something in that area, I might buy it.

(I do use the gsync for freesync panels option.) so having freesync would be nice.

this basically leaves two options at this point, the lg, which I'd buy for 380 (because of retailer preference (customer support and stuff)).

or the samsung 56, which would cost, 399.

both have hdmi 2.0 and dp 1.2, and both have freesync and all the other stuff i wanted.

however the main difference afai can tell is that the samsung is curved, I personally don't think i'd care about this, or would it be usefull?

Which one would you go for?

I have another question, I'm planning to use a monitorstand, to put my 29" uw above the 'new' monitor, would it be okay to go for a monitor mount that supports two 27" monitors?

The LG and the Samsung 56 look quite similar, so I would look up some reviews that mention:

- Ghosting (or lack of)

- Color quality

This Tweakers.net forum thread mentions both monitors and one user notes seeing some ghosting on the LG panel, which (in his opinion) would not be that annoying.

I can't find any more mentions of the Samsung panel.

Here is a review of the LG: https://www.techspot.com/review/1845-lg-32gk650f/

Looks like it doesn't do half bad in terms of input lag and response time.

19 minutes ago, minibois said:

You will deal with looking up quite a bit, unless you can take enough distance away from the 32" (at which point, you probably are too far away from the 29"..)

I would honestly be worried about the overhang when tilting the top monitor:

image.png.61c43101ab8ba8d43d47acd8545cf435.png

You would need to tilt the top monitor a lot and it's gonna be quite out of the way.

Too bad you don't have a 24" 16:9 (or maybe even 23"), so you could vertically mount it next to your 32" 

At some point it might even be better to mount the 29" below the 32".. So it's kind of a below monitor.. 

Or just place it next to your 32" in landscape mode, like a boring person ;) (like me).

I don't really care if the bezel of the 29" would be (partially) behind the other one, I'll probably order soon and just find out xD. the reason for wanting an new monitor is the screen size (I find myself leaning forward to look at details too often (in both games and work xD)). also the 32" would be quite low and angled up, with the 29" being angled down (somewhat) so I'm not worried about things fitting.

And either way, the 29" will be my second monitor, for more 'background' tasks, So im not worried.

Tomorrow I'll have a look at size and wether i can fit (heightwise) a 29" and a 32" above each other in a 2x 27" space.

About not having a 24", I originally wanted to stick to only one monitor, and have so for quite a while, but the time has come that I just need more screenspace. If I could have chosen again, I'd have still gone uw, but a 34" 1440 panel.

But then I'd need a different desk and stuff as well xD

Thank you again for your help and insight!

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:05 AM, minibois said:

-snip-

wow, I'm happy I couldn't decide between the samsung or the lg, the samsung is for sale atm. for 339 EUR :D

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:24 AM, TheThymo said:

-snip-

IMG_20191022_211027.jpg