1440p, 144hz, 400EUR, 31-32" monitor choice

TMobile
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
53 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

wow, this is a really detailed response, thanks for making it this clear!

I run a rtx 2070, but If amd were to release a decent priced 5800xt or something in that area, I might buy it.

(I do use the gsync for freesync panels option.) so having freesync would be nice.

this basically leaves two options at this point, the lg, which I'd buy for 380 (because of retailer preference (customer support and stuff)).

or the samsung 56, which would cost, 399.

both have hdmi 2.0 and dp 1.2, and both have freesync and all the other stuff i wanted.

however the main difference afai can tell is that the samsung is curved, I personally don't think i'd care about this, or would it be usefull?

Which one would you go for?

I have another question, I'm planning to use a monitorstand, to put my 29" uw above the 'new' monitor, would it be okay to go for a monitor mount that supports two 27" monitors?

The LG and the Samsung 56 look quite similar, so I would look up some reviews that mention:

- Ghosting (or lack of)

- Color quality

This Tweakers.net forum thread mentions both monitors and one user notes seeing some ghosting on the LG panel, which (in his opinion) would not be that annoying.

I can't find any more mentions of the Samsung panel.

Here is a review of the LG: https://www.techspot.com/review/1845-lg-32gk650f/

Looks like it doesn't do half bad in terms of input lag and response time.

Hi,

I've been thinking about buying a new monitor to have below my current 29" uw.

For me its between the following monitors: (with links to tweakers.net (a dutch pricelisting site))

Acer ED323QURA (link)

LG UltraGear 32GK650F (link)

Samsung C32JG52QQU (link)

Samsung LC32JG50QQU (link)

Samsung C32JG56QQU (link)

I'm looking at a max budget of 400EUR, 144hz, 1440p and around 31-32" with a vesa mount.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know!

Thanks in advance!

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

LG 32GK650F-B?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

3 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

LG 32GK650F-B?

this is the second one i linked right? Could you tell me why I'd choose it over the others?

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

because its the first one that i chose on pcpartpicker

thats it

also samsung monitors are poop for gaming

not going to back it up 

and this is in your price point

with decent rating 

rHZnavK.png

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

* threads merged *

thanks, I feel like the replies are really decreasing :,(

3 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

also samsung monitors are poop for gaming

not going to back it up 

and this is in your price point

with decent rating 

rHZnavK.png

I absolutely intrigued by your opinion, could you please go out of your way to explain in what way or why samsung monitors are 'poop'?

because theyre poop, thats the extent of it

i said the lg one dude, wait for more replys as a vote or just get it

2 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

because theyre poop, thats the extent of it

i said the lg one dude, wait for more replys as a vote or just get it

whatever, not really the kind of answer i was hoping for, especially on this forum, where most people actually try to explain their opinion

i have no opinion on 32" monitors i think anything above 24" is horrid 

1440p is nasty i prefer 1080p, thats pretty much my whole opinion on it

also the budget is awful for what you want so the lg one looks like the best youll realistically get. I just know that samsung isnt good for gaming monitors, i dont have like a data sheet on it or any specific things i dont like about them this gen but i dont plan on ever considering them unless they make some drastic changes in their focuses. I mean they prolly have like 10ms g2g. They dont even show up on partpicker. No interest.

anyone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I wouldn't go for an Acer VA 144Hz, or even a TN from them; all the 144Hz Aver panels I have seen had quite a bit of ghosting.

Samsung VA monitors have been quite hit-or-miss for me in terms of colors. LG has been quite solid, so that would be my main consideration.

That is just kind of basic brand experience, which might not be very accurate, but should give an idea of what to look for in the reviews of these panels.

When you're buying a monitor, you should really get it from a place where you can either:

a. see the monitor's in person (if you're buying from a physical store

or

b. return the monitor should it not be to your liking

On 10/4/2019 at 10:45 PM, RelativeMono said:

i have no opinion on 32" monitors i think anything above 24" is horrid 

1440p is nasty i prefer 1080p, thats pretty much my whole opinion on it

Monitor size will be entirely dependent on your desk size (depth) and preferred resolution is based on monitor size, when using Windows. I wouldn't recommend a 24" 1440p, but would for 27"..

Personally I - the psychopath that I am :P - am quite happy with my 27", but my desk allows me to push it far enough away to make it a nice experience.

But of course everyone is open to having their own opinion, I just wanted to share my opinion on the multiple statements you made (in your member title and post), to give some more perspective.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Personally I wouldn't go for an Acer VA 144Hz, or even a TN from them; all the 144Hz Aver panels I have seen had quite a bit of ghosting.

Samsung VA monitors have been quite hit-or-miss for me in terms of colors. LG has been quite solid, so that would be my main consideration.

That is just kind of basic brand experience, which might not be very accurate, but should give an idea of what to look for in the reviews of these panels.

When you're buying a monitor, you should really get it from a place where you can either:

a. see the monitor's in person (if you're buying from a physical store

or

b. return the monitor should it not be to your liking

Monitor size will be entirely dependent on your desk size (depth) and preferred resolution is based on monitor size, when using Windows. I wouldn't recommend a 24" 1440p, but would for 27"..

Personally I - the psychopath that I am :P - am quite happy with my 27", but my desk allows me to push it far enough away to make it a nice experience.

But of course everyone is open to having their own opinion, I just wanted to share my opinion on the multiple statements you made (in your member title and post), to give some more perspective.

thank you for your comment, at least you said why I should go for LG instead of samsung or acer xD.

In the netherlands we have a 30 day return policy, (or 14 day with amazon and some other companies) so i'll probably try the lg or samsung.

Do you happen to know what the difference might be between the three (linked) samsung monitors?

1 minute ago, TheThymo said:

thank you for your comment, at least you said why I should go for LG instead of samsung or acer xD.

In the netherlands we have a 30 day return policy, (or 14 day with amazon and some other companies) so i'll probably try the lg or samsung.

Do you happen to know what the difference might be between the three (linked) samsung monitors?

(In the post I will abbreviate the monitor names. C32JG50QQU = 50. C32JG52QQU = 52. LC32JG56QQUXEN = 56).

These monitor seems quite similar:

image.png.09619807aa9e79d7df23e4c51d85cdb6.png

Obviously better stuff is green, red is worse. Light gray is the same and blue is incomplete data.

Especially the 50 and 52 are quite similar, almost being the same. The main takeaway between these monitor will be the connection.

The 56 has an HDMI 2.0 connection, while the 50 and 52 only have HDMI 1.4. HDMI 1.4 will not allow for the monitor to work to it's fullest potential. Thankfully all these monitors have Displayport 1.2 as that will allow for 2560x1440@144Hz.

The 50 comes with a HDMI cable though, so factor in the price of an Displayport cable in your purchasing decision. The 52 and 56 come with the correct cable for plugging it into your PC (assuming you have HDMI 2.0+ or Displayport 1.2+ respectively, on your PC).

It's always easiest to say 'the most expensive is the best', but just looking at the specs it is. Especially the HDMI 2.0 and Freesync make it the better option, between the three.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

27 minutes ago, minibois said:

-snip-

I run a rtx 2070, but If amd were to release a decent priced 5800xt or something in that area, I might buy it.

(I do use the gsync for freesync panels option.) so having freesync would be nice.

this basically leaves two options at this point, the lg, which I'd buy for 380 (because of retailer preference (customer support and stuff)).

both have hdmi 2.0 and dp 1.2, and both have freesync and all the other stuff i wanted.

however the main difference afai can tell is that the samsung is curved, I personally don't think i'd care about this, or would it be usefull?

I have another question, I'm planning to use a monitorstand, to put my 29" uw above the 'new' monitor, would it be okay to go for a monitor mount that supports two 27" monitors?

53 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

The LG and the Samsung 56 look quite similar, so I would look up some reviews that mention:

- Ghosting (or lack of)

- Color quality

This Tweakers.net forum thread mentions both monitors and one user notes seeing some ghosting on the LG panel, which (in his opinion) would not be that annoying.

27 minutes ago, minibois said:

- Ghosting (or lack of)

- Color quality

I've been looking at reviews for both and there are barely any negative ones xD. it a difficult choice now. I'm sure sure if I need the curvature, however I read that it is nice, however I feel like I wouldn't notice.

(like I asked in my previous reply, are you 'known' in the monitor stand stuff? otherwise I'll make a new thread)

I could get the LG 'second hand' for 326, or the samsung for 344. Do you have any advice on this?

according to the website: 

In new condition, returned product in opened original packaging, complete with undamaged accessory/parts

18 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

I've been looking at reviews for both and there are barely any negative ones xD. it a difficult choice now. I'm sure sure if I need the curvature, however I read that it is nice, however I feel like I wouldn't notice.

(like I asked in my previous reply, are you 'known' in the monitor stand stuff? otherwise I'll make a new thread)

I could get the LG 'second hand' for 326, or the samsung for 344. Do you have any advice on this?

according to the website: 

In new condition, returned product in opened original packaging, complete with undamaged accessory/parts

Oh sorry, missed that question.

A 29" ultrawide is about as wide as a 27" 16:9 monitor, so a 27" monitor stand will work fine with it. Just check if it supports the weight.

You might also want to look at a stand that allows for you to change the height of the monitor individually.

And on the curve thing.. I don't really care about curved monitor at all, especially not curved 16:9.

12 minutes ago, minibois said:

Oh sorry, missed that question.

A 29" ultrawide is about as wide as a 27" 16:9 monitor, so a 27" monitor stand will work fine with it. Just check if it supports the weight.

You might also want to look at a stand that allows for you to change the height of the monitor individually.

And on the curve thing.. I don't really care about curved monitor at all, especially not curved 16:9.

Won't the 32" cause a problem with the height? And i thought a 29" had the height of a 24" but the +/- width of 1 1/3 24"?

I'll have to think about what I want to do, but thanks for your help however!

8 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

Won't the 32" cause a problem with the height? And i thought a 29" had the height of a 24" but the +/- width of 1 1/3 24"?

I'll have to think about what I want to do, but thanks for your help however!

Wait, I think I am confusing some stuff.

You want to use a dual 27" mount for a 32" and 29" UW? I don't think that will work, too much width.

I could bust out some Pythagoras to calculate the width and height of a 29" 21:9, 27" 16:9 and 32" 16:9, but it's easier to just find a monitor of that size.. So just looking at some LG monitors, the width*height ( in cm ) would be:

24" 16:9: 54,9 * 33

29" 21:9: 70,4 * 32,8

27" 16:9: 61,5 * 36,5

32" 16:9: 72,6 * 42,9

So I guess a 29" Ultrawide is kind of like a 24" 16:9 in terms of height and more like a 32" 16:9 in terms of width. 

Or a 24" + 30% also makes sense.

43 minutes ago, minibois said:

Wait, I think I am confusing some stuff.

You want to use a dual 27" mount for a 32" and 29" UW? I don't think that will work, too much width.

I could bust out some Pythagoras to calculate the width and height of a 29" 21:9, 27" 16:9 and 32" 16:9, but it's easier to just find a monitor of that size.. So just looking at some LG monitors, the width*height ( in cm ) would be:

24" 16:9: 54,9 * 33

29" 21:9: 70,4 * 32,8

27" 16:9: 61,5 * 36,5

32" 16:9: 72,6 * 42,9

So I guess a 29" Ultrawide is kind of like a 24" 16:9 in terms of height and more like a 32" 16:9 in terms of width. 

Or a 24" + 30% also makes sense.

I want the 29" above the 32"

edit: like this

spacer.png

using something like this: i like using this for links, idk why

1 hour ago, TheThymo said:

I want the 29" above the 32"

edit: like this

using something like this: i like using this for links, idk why

Looks like the top monitor stand piece can move up and down, so that should be possible..

image.png.4bac6be4fbd7b88a9213e25517b4b656.png

Just keep in mind the tilt you need for the top monitor and thus at the same time how much it should push forward, to not hang behind the main monitor.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Looks like the top monitor stand piece can move up and down, so that should be possible..

image.png.4bac6be4fbd7b88a9213e25517b4b656.png

Just keep in mind the tilt you need for the top monitor and thus at the same time how much it should push forward, to not hang behind the main monitor.

agreed, it does also look like the top and bottom "mounts" are the same so they are both adjustable.

I'm just a bit worried that the height of the 29" uw + the 32" normal screen is too much.

8 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

agreed, it does also look like the top and bottom "mounts" are the same so they are both adjustable.

I'm just a bit worried that the height of the 29" uw + the 32" normal screen is too much.

You will deal with looking up quite a bit, unless you can take enough distance away from the 32" (at which point, you probably are too far away from the 29"..)

I would honestly be worried about the overhang when tilting the top monitor:

image.png.61c43101ab8ba8d43d47acd8545cf435.png

You would need to tilt the top monitor a lot and it's gonna be quite out of the way.

Too bad you don't have a 24" 16:9 (or maybe even 23"), so you could vertically mount it next to your 32" 

At some point it might even be better to mount the 29" below the 32".. So it's kind of a below monitor.. 

Or just place it next to your 32" in landscape mode, like a boring person ;) (like me).