Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schnoz

A Cuphead Knockoff!

Posted · Original PosterOP

Cuphead was an amazing game. All the visuals were hand-painted and the creators composed their own music. They even remortaged their house to bring it to life.

Now, one of the most shameless knockoffs, Enchanted Portals, has been announced.

The graphics are noticeably worse than Cuphead, but considering that the developer studio, Xixo, consists of only two people, it's still of acceptable quality. The Kickstarter campaign starts on October 24th.

The Schnoz

imitation is flattery

CPU: Intel 6700k 4.6GHz_____Motherboard: Gigabyte z170x gaming 3_____Cooler: Corsair H105_____RAM: Corsair LPX 4X4GB(16)_____GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Aero SC

PSU: EVGA 650w SUPERNOVA_____CASE: NZXT S340 blue_____Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse: Razer deathadder Chroma_____Headphones: Bose QC25

Microphone: Blue Yeti Black_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Razer blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Honestly there are some concepts that I think could have even been from cuphead, like the three headed dog that burst out of the doghouse. This game is so similar I feel like it would be impossible for them to try to get away with it without people saying "wow this is just like cuphead" so do they acknowledge that it resembles it, or are they just acting like this idea and style is totally original?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Cuphead was little more than a mix of The Shadow Of Colossus’s boss only gameplay philosophy, Kingdom Hearts 2’s Timeless River, and the generic SHMUP/side scroller genres. So the idea of the game overall isn’t really a super unique concept out the gate, and we don’t know how long they’ve been working on the idea, so calling it a ripoff is a little premature.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Honestly don't give two sh#ts. A game is a game. Copying an art style or method is only bad if it's a poor and lazy attempt. If this game stands on its own, it's a fine game to me. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, Acid Panda said:

imitation is flattery

to a point, you can go too far...

the art style is deffently a rip off but we don't know much else about the game, until then it's still going to be called a cuphead ripoff and probably be branded that forever...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ2cQV

5U The Waifu (my new in-progress server): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1130931-5u-the-waifu-my-new-server/

24 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

It's not like you can copyright an art style.

^ This.

I have no issue with this game using that art style as it comes from the 1930s cartoons.

Just a nutty gal that abuse hardware with F@H and BOINC.

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 4690K Delid, E5-2670V3, 1900X, 1950X, 5960X J Batch

My GPU Army:960 FTW at 1551MHz, 1080Ti FTW3, 1080Ti SC, 1070 Hybrid, 2x Titan XP

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad 9.7" (2018 model), Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Imagine backing a ripoff and they don't deliver

Lolololol

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

19 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

It's not like you can copyright an art style.

Not just the art style, the game itself is extremely similar. It's clearly an exact reskin of cuphead

20 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Cuphead was little more than a mix of The Shadow Of Colossus’s boss only gameplay philosophy, Kingdom Hearts 2’s Timeless River, and the generic SHMUP/side scroller genres. So the idea of the game overall isn’t really a super unique concept out the gate, and we don’t know how long they’ve been working on the idea, so calling it a ripoff is a little premature.

The creators have already admitted to being "inspired" by Cuphead

If every 20s style cartoon game is a ripoff then Disney or Warner Brothers could have sued Studio MHDR.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

holy shit I did not expect it to be that much of a clone, its like all the shitty candy crush knock offs

current pc

i7-8086k (@stock)

evga clc 280 aio

gigabyte aorus z390 pro

oloy warhawk 3000mhz rgb (light blue colorway)

evga gtx 1070 ti ftw

t force delta rgb 250gb ssd

western digital caviar blue 1tb hdd

fractal design meshify c black (w/ blue front panel)

seasonic m12ii evo 620w (gross)

asus mg248qr 1080p 144hz

dell 1905fp 1024p 60hz 

corsair k55 wired keyboard

logitech g305 wireless mouse

cosair void pro rgb wireless headset

On 10/11/2019 at 6:38 PM, floofer said:

Huawei is a really flattering company

Samsung: *nervous look*

I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

7 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

the game itself is extremely similar. It's clearly an exact reskin of cuphead

And Cuphead is clearly a 1930's Cartoon reskin of your typical side scrolling SHMUP boss fights.

7 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

The creators have already admitted to being "inspired" by Cuphead

And? Unless you've already played the game and/or have been a part of the development cycle from early on, you don't know what type of inspiration Cuphead actually was.

For all we know, the developers gave up at some point thinking that the 1930's artstyle would be a turn off, until Cuphead came out. Or, the inspiration might have just lead to 1930's art style. It's possible that the game is a ripoff, but we don't have nearly enough information to say that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And Cuphead is clearly a 1930's Cartoon reskin of your typical side scrolling SHMUP boss fights.

And? Unless you've already played the game and/or have been a part of the development cycle from early on, you don't know what type of inspiration Cuphead actually was.

For all we know, the developers gave up at some point thinking that the 1930's artstyle would be a turn off, until Cuphead came out. Or, the inspiration might have just lead to 1930's art style. It's possible that the game is a ripoff, but we don't have nearly enough information to say that.

What the fuck? Just watch the fucking trailer with the gameplay dude it's a 1:1 rip. Cuphead takes elements from other games but is a wholly unique package.

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

Just watch the fucking trailer with the gameplay dude it's a 1:1 rip.

A trailer is not nearly indicative of the entire product. Something most people are aware of. Until the game is actually out, we can't say anything with any real certainty.

1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

Cuphead takes elements from other games but is a wholly unique package.

Not really. Cuphead is a generic side scroller SHMUP with a generic (albeit old) art style.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

34 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

A trailer is not nearly indicative of the entire product. Something most people are aware of. Until the game is actually out, we can't say anything with any real certainty.

Not really. Cuphead is a generic side scroller SHMUP with a generic (albeit old) art style.

Your arguments to defend the game are rather weak and pathetic. If you really want to defend it why not talk about how even with it being a knockoff there is still a lot of work that has to go into making the game look like that with good animations?

11 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Your arguments to defend the game are rather weak and pathetic. If you really want to defend it

I'm not defending it. I'm also not going to condemn it prematurely either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:48 PM, Fasauceome said:

Honestly there are some concepts that I think could have even been from cuphead, like the three headed dog that burst out of the doghouse. This game is so similar I feel like it would be impossible for them to try to get away with it without people saying "wow this is just like cuphead" so do they acknowledge that it resembles it, or are they just acting like this idea and style is totally original?

The developers stated that Cuphead was an inspiration.

The art style and music have to be given a pass, since Cuphead was inspired by the same source material (1930's rubber hose animation)

The SHUMP stuff we'll have to wait and see. If it feels like a reskin of an existing game, the backlash will be earned. If it's simply inspired by exactly the same things, then it's of course going to have a feel to it that is familar. The same way that every FPS game after Wolfenstein were "Doom" clones, before the FPS became it's own category and utterly edged out half the game business.

Having cartoony artwork, in of it's own is not an original idea. 

18 hours ago, Drak3 said:

A trailer with multiple bosses and levels that all look exactly like Cuphead.

I see you think adding the word generic wins the argument. If you think that's what that word means, you should call every game and every art style generic.