Replacement of all internals running two Windows OSes

tinpanalley

Basically I've updated my build with new hardware (mobo, ram, CPU, even PSU). In my current system I'm running one SSD with Windows 10 and another Windows 7. I'd like to continue using both in the new system as they are and of course I own both. What kind of issues am I going to come across trying to plug both into the new system? Will either of them reauthenticate themselves or do I need to go digging for product keys? And one question further for safety is, if I don't find the keys, I seem to recall being able to get them with some piece of software?

Thank you!

What new hardware? Windows 7 won't run on most new hardware.

Windows 10 will tie the key to the hardware and need to have the key retyped in if you change all the hardware. How is your system activated?

38 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What new hardware? Windows 7 won't run on most new hardware.

Windows 10 will tie the key to the hardware and need to have the key retyped in if you change all the hardware. How is your system activated?

Well, Windows 7 has been running fine on my current build but that is an i5-2400. So on an AMD B450 running a Ryzen 3600 you're saying Windows 7 won't boot?

My system was activated online. Is that what you mean?

10 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Well, Windows 7 has been running fine on my current build but that is an i5-2400. So on an AMD B450 running a Ryzen 3600 you're saying Windows 7 won't boot?

My system was activated online. Is that what you mean?

ryzen doesn't support windows 7, and you really shouldn't be using windows 7 these days anyways. Why do you need windows 7?

Did you type a key in or is the activation tied to your microsoft account?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ryzen doesn't support windows 7, and you really shouldn't be using windows 7 these days anyways. Why do you need windows 7?

Did you type a key in or is the activation tied to your microsoft account?

I don't use it as an operating system, I only keep it completely offline to run several games from roughly 20 years ago that only run on a Windows 7 system. I know, I know, there are virtual systems and I've had the discussion several times with people who thought they were going to crack the code and make these games run on virtual emulation and they never work always leaving the people who try completely stumped. It's just a known thing, these particular games don't run correctly unless you're on old systems. Let's just accept that I need the Windows 7 drive.

So, the current motherboard is ATX and therefore too big to keep just for occasional use. Would it be possible to pop the CPU out and put it in some (now, years later) very cheap microboard only for these games to run? I don't mind keeping something the size of a console, but another ATX tower starts getting silly.

The Windows Activation I simply don't recall. This is one that once was a Windows 7 activation and has kept getting upgraded over the years.

1 minute ago, tinpanalley said:

I don't use it as an operating system, I only keep it completely offline to run several games from roughly 20 years ago that only run on a Windows 7 system. I know, I know, there are virtual systems and I've had the discussion several times with people who thought they were going to crack the code and make these games run on virtual emulation and they never work always leaving the people who try completely stumped. It's just a known thing, these particular games don't run correctly unless you're on old systems. Let's just accept that I need the Windows 7 drive.

Then Id keep that drive with the old system, as windows 7 isn't going to work on that new hardware

Id just get a samll tower atx case, there really not that big.

1 minute ago, tinpanalley said:

The Windows Activation I simply don't recall. This is one that once was a Windows 7 activation and has kept getting upgraded over the years.

Is windows 10 signed into a microsoft account? what does the activation page say?

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get a samll tower atx case, there really not that big.

Is windows 10 signed into a microsoft account? what does the activation page say?

Windows 10 is signed into my Live account, yes.

It says Windows is activated and the Product Key shows up.

But is it possible to get an ATX case that's small? ATX is still a large board. Is it not possible to remove the CPU and place it in another micro board? Probably get one dirt cheap now that would run the CPU and RAM.

Ryzen and win7 works fine. You can even download drivers for win7 from manufacturer's website. I made perfectly working win7 for my friend who need it (switch from core2duo to Ryzen).

Win 7 should boot the same good as win10 on new hardware. If not - you can use Paragon Adaptive Restore 2010 bootable usb and use "adjust os" option. After few seconds your win7 will be bootable again.

You may need ps2 mouse and/or keyboard to install drivers.

What is true is that configuring drivers for win7 and Ryzen may be pain in the chip. :) And win10 will work better.

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2019 at 3:40 PM, homeap5 said:

Ryzen and win7 works fine. You can even download drivers for win7  

I am installing it on a strix x370-f board (ryzen) right now and it seems to be installing....I hope it works though I did have to get a pcie to PS2 card from Amazon as my board had no PS2 ports 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07RLFPDNZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the card if anyone needs to get one btw there are many others also I just haven't tested them (I'm not sponsored/endorsed by them to say anything about it)

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ?