Nvme configuration isnt showing up in bios

Lindstrom
Go to solution Solved by Lindstrom,
14 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Ah I misread.

still, bcdboot C:\windows (letter of the windows install drive)

after removing or disabling SATA SSD might help.

If that doesn't help maybe someone else has a better idea.

My NVMe drive only shows up under peripherals -> NVMe configuration. Only info about SSD name and size.

i just gave up after trying a bunch of things of forums and did a clean install. Thanks for trying to help

So i bought a samsung m.2 ssd that i installed in slot 1 on my mb and it doesent show up in bios just in boot priority menu. Ive cloned my windows files onto that new ssd from my already existing ssd and i want to boot off the m.2 ssd instead of the standard ssd. Ive got a Asus tuf gaming x470 motherboard and the ssd is Samsung 970 EVO Plus. Appreciate all the help i can get.

If your old SSD is SATA I don't think cloning it will work on an NVME drive. You may need to reinstall windows to get it to work properly.

I don't know the technical details but booting works a little differently between SATA and NVME drives. I have never been able to get work.

Yeah its sata but shouldnt nvme configuration show up in my bios either way?

5 minutes ago, Lindstrom said:

Yeah its sata but shouldnt nvme configuration show up in my bios either way?

To be honest I don't understand how to new UEFI bios/boot works to give you a proper answer. So just be aware that I could be giving you inaccurate information.

But I think if the UEFI boot menu doesn't see a proper boot partition it doesn't show up as an option in the BIOS.

33 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

To be honest I don't understand how to new UEFI bios/boot works to give you a proper answer. So just be aware that I could be giving you inaccurate information.

But I think if the UEFI boot menu doesn't see a proper boot partition it doesn't show up as an option in the BIOS.

Yeah, I've had problems booting to a cloned SSD-s myself. One option that usually has helped is to go to command line, booting from instance from Windows installation media.

And then typed:

bcdboot C:\windows

and reboot and it might appear in boot menu.

Also regular boot needs to have CSM option enabled iirc.

Might be useless advice though, as the booting mechanisms seem strange on my motherboard at least.

P.S. I assume OP cloned all the partitions from old drive since PC needs em for booting (uefi). If you cloned only windows partition you might have problems.

I edit my posts more often than not

16 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yeah, I've had problems booting to a cloned SSD-s myself. One option that usually has helped is to go to command line, booting from instance from Windows installation media.

And then typed:

bcdboot C:\windows

and reboot and it might appear in boot menu.

Also regular boot needs to have CSM option enabled iirc.

Might be useless advice though, as the booting mechanisms seem strange on my motherboard at least.

P.S. I assume OP cloned all the partitions from old drive since PC needs em for booting (uefi). If you cloned only windows partition you might have problems.

It does show up in boot menu. But im unable to boot from it. Ive tried disabling and enabling diffrent features and tried booting from it several times but it just boots from my sata ssd its either becasue i have to unplug my sata sdd or because the nvme windows clone install isnt working.

18 minutes ago, Lindstrom said:

It does show up in boot menu. But im unable to boot from it. Ive tried disabling and enabling diffrent features and tried booting from it several times but it just boots from my sata ssd its either becasue i have to unplug my sata sdd or because the nvme windows clone install isnt working.

Ah I misread.

My NVMe drive only shows up under peripherals -> NVMe configuration. Only info about SSD name and size.

I edit my posts more often than not

14 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Ah I misread.

i just gave up after trying a bunch of things of forums and did a clean install. Thanks for trying to help