Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sweg4lyf69

GBT or MBR

I think the standard these days is to just use GPT.  I don't think one is more susceptible to data corruption vs the other, so not sure where that idea came from.  In any case, it sounds like you would get some good value out of a UPS.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My friend had a problem with my hard drive that when windows gets corrupted from power outage it asks me to delete everything since its GBT , i just bought an ssd and i dont want that to happen , should i use gbt or mbr if i dont want that to happen?

 

also side question : its a 240gb ssd , i will make 2 paritions one for windows and one for games/ appilcations , how many gbs do u recommend the windows one to be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure GPT has nothing to do with power outages erasing your data.

GPT is better and newer though, so go for it

 

I wouldn't make separate partitions for OS and games on the same disk; it only complicates things


Ryzen 5 1500X (2.8GHz@0.8875V) === ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/AC === 24GB DDR4 === Sapphire RX 570 4GB === Optane 800P 58GB === Patriot Burst 240GB === Toshiba Q300 240GB === beQuiet SFX Power 2 400W === Silverstone ML08B

Spoiler

OK, i'm not even gonna build this, but is this a good workstation?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($168.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: Samsung 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($256.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2130WX ATX Full Tower Case  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1745.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 12:48 EST-0500

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm pretty sure GPT has nothing to do with power outages erasing your data.

GPT is better and newer though, so go for it

 

I wouldn't make separate partitions for OS and games on the same disk; it only complicates things

i do it like this so when my windows gets corrupted , i can format the windows partition without losing my data 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer

I think the standard these days is to just use GPT.  I don't think one is more susceptible to data corruption vs the other, so not sure where that idea came from.  In any case, it sounds like you would get some good value out of a UPS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

i do it like this so when my windows gets corrupted , i can format the windows partition without losing my data 

SSD-s aren't hard drives, there's no point on creating partitions on an SSD. On the SSD the data is stored "randomly" in flash memory while on a HDD the data is written sequentially. On the HDD the space allocated to a partition is sequential, one partition after the other, and thus you can format a single partition. On the other hand, on an SSD the partitions are "virtual".

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

SSD-s aren't hard drives, there's no point on creating partitions on an SSD. On the SSD the data is stored "randomly" in flash memory while on a HDD the data is written sequentially. On the HDD the space allocated to a partition is sequential, one partition after the other, and thus you can format a single partition. On the other hand, on an SSD the partitions are "virtual".

so lets say windows got corrupted on parition X , and i have another partition Y for games , would it force me to format both X and Y for windows installation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

so lets say windows got corrupted on parition X , and i have another partition Y for games , would it force me to format both X and Y for windows installation?

Probably not, but formating only the "X" partition would result in performance issues or drive longevity issues. Not to mention the performance issues from the start (SSD-s don't really know what to do with "partitions"). If you need to have two SSD partitions, get two SSD-s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, 191x7 said:

Probably not, but formating only the "X" partition would result in performance issues or drive longevity issues. Not to mention the performance issues from the start (SSD-s don't really know what to do with "partitions"). If you need to have two SSD partitions, get two SSD-s.

power outages happen alot in my country and i dont think i can afford losing data for more performance , also 40gb ssds sadly dont exist

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

power outages happen alot in my country and i dont think i can afford losing data for more performance , also 40gb ssds sadly dont exist

UPS devices do exist. In every country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

power outages happen alot in my country and i dont think i can afford losing data for more performance , also 40gb ssds sadly dont exist

40GB is really small for windows, with updates and such a bare system can take up like 60GB. Why not get a 128GB SSD for windows and the 240GB for programs? Both sizes aren't worth the premium though. 512GB ssds are much more price efficient.


GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

power outages happen alot in my country and i dont think i can afford losing data for more performance , also 40gb ssds sadly dont exist

Hence why I recommend a UPS.  There are a lot of people coming to this forum asking for help to pick one that I would bet get a lot less use out of it than you will, judging by how common an issue this seems to be for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 191x7 said:

Probably not, but formating only the "X" partition would result in performance issues or drive longevity issues. Not to mention the performance issues from the start (SSD-s don't really know what to do with "partitions").

What? Where have you heard this kind of rubbish?! This is entirely untrue from the get-go. Partitions are OS-level stuff, it's the BIOS's and OS's job to care about them -- the SSD doesn't care what data you have stored on it, it only manages where and how often data is stored or shuffled around and manages wear-leveling. It doesn't know what partitions are and it has no reason to, either!


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×