Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sweg4lyf69

GBT or MBR

I think the standard these days is to just use GPT.  I don't think one is more susceptible to data corruption vs the other, so not sure where that idea came from.  In any case, it sounds like you would get some good value out of a UPS.

Posted · Original PosterOP

My friend had a problem with my hard drive that when windows gets corrupted from power outage it asks me to delete everything since its GBT , i just bought an ssd and i dont want that to happen , should i use gbt or mbr if i dont want that to happen?

also side question : its a 240gb ssd , i will make 2 paritions one for windows and one for games/ appilcations , how many gbs do u recommend the windows one to be?

I'm pretty sure GPT has nothing to do with power outages erasing your data.

GPT is better and newer though, so go for it

I wouldn't make separate partitions for OS and games on the same disk; it only complicates things

Ryzen 5 1500X (2.8GHz@0.8875V) === ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/AC === 24GB DDR4 === Sapphire RX 570 4GB === Optane 800P 58GB === Patriot Burst 240GB === Toshiba Q300 240GB === beQuiet SFX Power 2 400W === Silverstone ML08B

Spoiler

OK, i'm not even gonna build this, but is this a good workstation?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($168.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: Samsung 32GB (1 x 32GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($256.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar He8 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($479.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($179.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Lian-Li PC-V2130WX ATX Full Tower Case  ($499.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($23.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1745.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 12:48 EST-0500

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

I'm pretty sure GPT has nothing to do with power outages erasing your data.

GPT is better and newer though, so go for it

I wouldn't make separate partitions for OS and games on the same disk; it only complicates things

i do it like this so when my windows gets corrupted , i can format the windows partition without losing my data 

Posted · Best Answer

I think the standard these days is to just use GPT.  I don't think one is more susceptible to data corruption vs the other, so not sure where that idea came from.  In any case, it sounds like you would get some good value out of a UPS.

10 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

i do it like this so when my windows gets corrupted , i can format the windows partition without losing my data 

SSD-s aren't hard drives, there's no point on creating partitions on an SSD. On the SSD the data is stored "randomly" in flash memory while on a HDD the data is written sequentially. On the HDD the space allocated to a partition is sequential, one partition after the other, and thus you can format a single partition. On the other hand, on an SSD the partitions are "virtual".

5 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

SSD-s aren't hard drives, there's no point on creating partitions on an SSD. On the SSD the data is stored "randomly" in flash memory while on a HDD the data is written sequentially. On the HDD the space allocated to a partition is sequential, one partition after the other, and thus you can format a single partition. On the other hand, on an SSD the partitions are "virtual".

so lets say windows got corrupted on parition X , and i have another partition Y for games , would it force me to format both X and Y for windows installation?

1 minute ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

so lets say windows got corrupted on parition X , and i have another partition Y for games , would it force me to format both X and Y for windows installation?

Probably not, but formating only the "X" partition would result in performance issues or drive longevity issues. Not to mention the performance issues from the start (SSD-s don't really know what to do with "partitions"). If you need to have two SSD partitions, get two SSD-s.

1 minute ago, 191x7 said:

Probably not, but formating only the "X" partition would result in performance issues or drive longevity issues. Not to mention the performance issues from the start (SSD-s don't really know what to do with "partitions"). If you need to have two SSD partitions, get two SSD-s.

power outages happen alot in my country and i dont think i can afford losing data for more performance , also 40gb ssds sadly dont exist

23 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

power outages happen alot in my country and i dont think i can afford losing data for more performance , also 40gb ssds sadly dont exist

UPS devices do exist. In every country.

22 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

40GB is really small for windows, with updates and such a bare system can take up like 60GB. Why not get a 128GB SSD for windows and the 240GB for programs? Both sizes aren't worth the premium though. 512GB ssds are much more price efficient.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

38 minutes ago, sweg4lyf69 said:

Hence why I recommend a UPS.  There are a lot of people coming to this forum asking for help to pick one that I would bet get a lot less use out of it than you will, judging by how common an issue this seems to be for you.

2 hours ago, 191x7 said:

Probably not, but formating only the "X" partition would result in performance issues or drive longevity issues. Not to mention the performance issues from the start (SSD-s don't really know what to do with "partitions").

What? Where have you heard this kind of rubbish?! This is entirely untrue from the get-go. Partitions are OS-level stuff, it's the BIOS's and OS's job to care about them -- the SSD doesn't care what data you have stored on it, it only manages where and how often data is stored or shuffled around and manages wear-leveling. It doesn't know what partitions are and it has no reason to, either!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.