Dying Hard drive?

I have an older Seagate "white label" Barracuda hard drive and recently I've been having super long booting times and some BSOD's and post errors on startup. A day or two ago task manager was showing response times in the 1000ms+ range on the drive and it wouldn't even show up in task manager about an hour ago (It does now after a little bit of tinkering). Now this drive has gone through many many hardware changes, it has had about 2 different graphics cards and an entire motherboard/CPU/Ram swap without a reinstall of Windows(Yes I know). Now this drive is about 6 years old if I recall correctly and I am not sure as to the prior use of this drive, it was given to me used. I went ahead an ordered a 128GB SSD from PNY knowing I would have to reinstall Windows because of the hardware changes. My question is, do you think the drive would be safe to use as a secondary mass storage drive, after all its about half full as is and a 128gb SSD is no where near half the capacity of the 1TB drive. I would wipe the drive completely and install Windows on the SSD and get any necessary applications installed first then I'll see if I actually need the drive or not. Thanks!

You can use crystal disk info to check the health of the drive, how old it is and such and look for bad sectors.

Why not? I think you can use. Just check for bad sectors for sure

4 hours ago, MrGrim07s said:

Why not? I think you can use. Just check for bad sectors for sure

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too. I have a few large games like GTA V, world of tanks, PayDay2 etc, I would fill that SSD in no time.