Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pyzi

V-RAM Amount Increase for a Mobile GPU in my Laptop

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an 8GB RAM stick to replace a 4GB one. My laptop has now a total of 12GB of RAM (yes that's strange) : 4GB soldered and 8GB unsoldered.

However this is a laptop equipped with a GTX 950m and its 2GB of dedicated V-RAM.

I launched GPU-Z to see if the type of V-RAM is the same as the normal RAM and guess what ?! It is [I joined screenshots of GPU-Z concerning my GPU and of CPU-Z concerning my RAM].

So here's my question :

My laptop has a grand total of 14GB (4+8+2) of RAM and V-RAM [in the same DDR3 (Hynix) format], can I increase the amount of dedicated V-RAM for my Nvidia GTX 950m from 2 to 3 or 4GB ?

Hope I was clear.

950m_2.PNG

ram_2.PNG

ram_1.PNG

950m_1.PNG

no

Spoiler

Behesda PC:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

motorbored: ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero

Graphics: PNY XLR8 gaming GTX 1060 3GB

Memeory-Rams: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200

SSD’s: 256GB 860 EVO, 2TB WD Blue SATA m.2

PheadHones: SteelSeries Arctis 5’s (in white!)

MacroPwn: Blue yeti nano

Keybored: Logitech G413 Carbon

Moose: Logitech G502 Hero

Monitor: 1600x900 21.5 " Gateway monitor

PSU: Corsair RM 650X

Spoiler

CrumpleBox:

CPU: i5-6400

Mobo:

Memory:

HDD:

GPU: GTX 770 with an Original titan cooler

PSU:

Cooling:

Spoiler

T.R. (ThirdRig)

CPU:i5-6400

Motherboard:MSI b150m mortar

Memory: 8GB DDR4 2133

HDD: Hitatchi 320GB

GPU: GTX 770

PSU:TT 700W RGB

Case: TT V 21

2 minutes ago, Pyzi said:

My laptop has a grand total of 14GB (4+8+2) of RAM and V-RAM [in the same DDR3 (Hynix) format], can I increase the amount of dedicated V-RAM for my Nvidia GTX 950m from 2 to 3 or 4GB ?

unfortunately no, graphics ram isn't the same as CPU memory in its implementation. It's attached to the graphics card.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

unfortunately no, graphics ram isn't the same as CPU memory in its implementation. It's attached to the graphics card.

Even if it is soldered to the motherboard next to the CPU ???

Just now, Pyzi said:

Even if it is soldered to the motherboard next to the CPU ???

unless you see a ram slot for more video memory, it can't be done. Also the BIOS of a graphics card tells it how much ram it has, so unless you make a custom BIOS for a 950m and then solder more memory in, it's impossible.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

unless you see a ram slot for more video memory, it can't be done. Also the BIOS of a graphics card tells it how much ram it has, so unless you make a custom BIOS for a 950m and then solder more memory in, it's impossible.

ok thanks