What 4th gen core i7 should I bye and how much?

Hello guys I want to bye a new cpu for my desktop I bought a gtx 1060 3GB two years ago and now I can't buy new motherboard and ram for it so im stock with a gigabyte h97 gaming 3 motherboard and 8gb of ram 

Should I bye a new cpu for it? If yes what cpu (considering LGA1150 and h97 chip) I first wanted to bye a used i7-4790 but when I saw prices (some around 120$ and some around 40$) I thought that I should ask professionals first 

Thanks 

Buy the cheapest you can find... that's pretty much it.

As is right now used Intel hardware from 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th gens all doesn't make sense when you can get Ryzen processors for the same if not even cheaper prices.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Arian_amg said:

Hello guys I want to bye a new cpu for my desktop I bought a gtx 1060 3GB two years ago and now I can't buy new motherboard and ram for it so im stock with a gigabyte h97 gaming 3 motherboard and 8gb of ram 

Should I bye a new cpu for it? If yes what cpu (considering LGA1150 and h97 chip) I first wanted to bye a used i7-4790 but when I saw prices (some around 120$ and some around 40$) I thought that I should ask professionals first 

Thanks 

i7-4790, i7-4770 or Xeon E3-1231V3.

Hell, if you're bound to Haswell, even the 4790K, E3-1241V3 and 4770K aren't terrible ideas if the price is right.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

Buy the cheapest you can find... that's pretty much it.

As is right now used Intel hardware from 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th gens all doesn't make sense when you can get Ryzen processors for the same if not even cheaper prices.

So you say a 40$ 4790 is trustable?

4 hours ago, Arian_amg said:

So you say a 40$ 4790 is trustable?

It really depends on the seller and not so much the price.

That's pretty cheap though. Where are you shopping? 

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory. The Guides and Tutorials subforum is for posting guides / tutorials and not asking for advice / help. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, Arian_amg said:

Thanks 

Well considering that you have a 1060 I would recommend nothing less than an i7 of that era, I would get the best 4th gen i7 from a reputable seller that you are comfortabe paying the price for. Basically the cheapest 4770 or 4790 you can find in a working condition.

4790k is king of 4th gen, but as you are limited in overcooking any version of the 4790 you can get as cheap as possible is the correct answer. 

If you can get a cheap mobo for a 4790 it would be decent with a gtx1060,otherwise Ryzen is a much better deal even the APU's as you can upgrade the platform.

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It really depends on the seller and not so much the price.

That's pretty cheap though. Where are you shopping? 

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory. The Guides and Tutorials subforum is for posting guides / tutorials and not asking for advice / help. 

From ebay... A used one about 44$

Just now, Arian_amg said:

From ebay... A used one about 44$

Make sure that the seller is reputable. A high feedback score is good. Look at the seller location and any other listed items and make sure what's being sold makes sense. Check the descriptions and see if it's described as working. 

As long as the item is described as a working 4790, you can get a refund if what you get isn't what's listed. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, Arian_amg said:

I first wanted to bye a used i7-4790 but when I saw prices (some around 120$ and some around 40$) I thought that I should ask professionals first 

Thanks 

Are you sure you're not confusing Buy It Now prices with current bids? $40 is insanely low for a 4790. It sounds like you looked at eBay and forgot to filter out the auctions.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440