VM lag assistance.

Hi, 

I've been a huge fan of the show, specially when it comes to servers and vm's.   

Currently i'm running a dedicated server for esxi 6.7, specs are on my build log: 

Looking back, now i'm worried I started that on the wrong thread considering how that's going.  

Well the problem i'm having, one of the vm's running win 10, updated vm tools, and wtih a setup for 2cpu at 4v-cores each. 

I'm trying to use this vm, so that me and wifey can use 1 vm for our business which i hope to save $$ buy just buying 1 license for applications that we may need further down. 

My current situation is that no matter how much I allocate in terms of phisical power cpu, ram. 

The machine has this savage lag, regardless if i'm going in through the vmware workstation, or rdp to the vm.  

The server is currently running cat 7@10gb on the cable, but i'm afraid that my problem could be that the sever can't handle the amount of data being sent out some how? 

I'm a complete noob self teaching, and with massive add my biggest learning attribute has been do it break it, learn do it again.  

But the stakes are getting higher, and I can't keep just nuking the machine like before.  

My current troubleshooting bouncing ball is leading me, to opening the pipe on the server by installing an actual 10gb card, and then running the line to sfp port converter on the ubnt switch. 

I could be really really wrong.   

Hope someone could nudge me in the righ direction, if the network isn't a possible culprit.  

Thank you in advace. 

The NICS are 1gb each on the back of the server, and i was lucky enough to get the extra vm switch to work and get iscsi to work.   

Can you show the lag in a video? RDP in a vm should be pretty smooth, but not as good as a local system.

I don't think its your network, rdp can fell very smooth on 100m so 10gb is more than engouh, unless there is a high ping.

What os is the vm running?

Does ssh or powershell remoting seem low latency?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show the lag in a video? RDP in a vm should be pretty smooth, but not as good as a local system.

I don't think its your network, rdp can fell very smooth on 100m so 10gb is more than engouh, unless there is a high ping.

What os is the vm running?

Does ssh or powershell remoting seem low latency?

For the vid, i can try gonna take some time to get one recorded but i'll do what I can.   

Ping response was really good.  

image.png.b9c1ad8770816a6c27db27a15476d00f.png

The vm is running on a 6.7 esxi host, and the vm it self is win10.  

Teminal base remoting doesn't seem slow at all.  

Most of the lag I witness was using application such as Adobe illustrator or others in the same suite. 

One of my goals is to use the vm for video editing as well, but that was a really check when I attempted to scrub live. 

BTW!

Thank you for responding! 

27 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

Most of the lag I witness was using application such as Adobe illustrator or others in the same suite. 

Thats gonna have lag cause that wants gpu power and Im guessing you don't have something like vgpu setup.

For video editing and that work you really need a gpu for the vm, and something like vmware horizon.

22 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats gonna have lag cause that wants gpu power and Im guessing you don't have something like vgpu setup.

For video editing and that work you really need a gpu for the vm, and something like vmware horizon.

You rule!!, let me look up vmware horizon.  Check to see if I can also get an approved esxi compatible gpu to drop in it.  Currently running just one gpu, that being shared among's all the machine running atm.  

I just got the R2 up last night, i'm trying to learn now setting up a vpn on it.   

image.png.ee3388708576fd26e486e01d00cef79b.png

Ty so much for the nudge, on the troubleshooting direction. 

Most appreciated.  

53 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

You rule!!, let me look up vmware horizon.  Check to see if I can also get an approved esxi compatible gpu to drop in it.  Currently running just one gpu, that being shared among's all the machine running atm.  

What gpu do you have now? By default esxi won't use a gpu at all

54 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

I just got the R2 up last night, i'm trying to learn now setting up a vpn on it.   

Why 2012r2? Go 2019 if you going windows server. What are you trying to do with a vpn?

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why 2012r2? Go 2019 if you going windows server. What are you trying to do with a vpn?

2012 was compatible with other servers services such as plex, and a few more for what i read.

The key was cheaper. 

As to the vpn i'm currently running a project with a few buds, and i'm building an attack lab for us to learn with.  

2 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

2012 was compatible with other servers such as plex, and a few more for what i read.

The key was cheaper. 

As to the vpn i'm currently running a project with a few buds, and i'm building an attack lab for us to learn with.  

That should all work on 2019 aswell.

Where are you buying keys, they should be about the same cost for offical keys, and if its for a home lab, id just use the 3 year trial then reinstall..

Are you running a vpn server? If so id look at wireguard.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That should all work on 2019 aswell.

Where are you buying keys, they should be about the same cost for offical keys, and if its for a home lab, id just use the 3 year trial then reinstall..

Are you running a vpn server? If so id look at wireguard.

I get that it would work, but I already purchased the license.  So i'm not really about to go shoot for another atm if mines is holding me down pretty good so far.  I will look towards purchasing one soon, as you said they are cheap.  I pick them them up from urcdkey.  

Note: atm they don't have for 2019.  

As to running a vpn server, i was going too.  

But a few mins ago I learned, I don't have to bother server for that as my ubnt gateway is able to run it for me with the built in Radius server and all.   

I'll take a look at wireguard, always want to learn more about whats out there. 

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why are you asking me the same question on 2 differnt threads lol lets just stay where we were pls? 

Just now, kilcmd said:

Why are you asking me the same question on 2 differnt threads lol lets just stay where we were pls? 

NVM i'm wrong this thing is bugging out sending me notifications. 

4 minutes ago, kilcmd said:

get that it would work, but I already purchased the license.  So i'm not really about to go shoot for another atm if mines is holding me down pretty good so far.  I will look towards purchasing one soon, as you said they are cheap.  I pick them them up from urcdkey.  

Dont buy keys from resellers like that, just use the trial if its for your home, those aren't legit keys

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Dont buy keys from resellers like that, just use the trial if its for your home, those aren't legit keys

It was legit enough to register, and update just fine lol. 

Also as to the GPU thing, that something i wasn't aware that by default ESXI wouldn't allocate the gpu that's sitting in the machine right now. 

I currently have a cheap gpu, since I was trying to make sure I allocated the flow towards my cpu and ram.  

For the gpu i went with something cheap - Graphics Cards: NVIDIA 2GB GeForce GT 1030

Just now, kilcmd said:

Also as to the GPU thing, that something i wasn't aware that by default ESXI wouldn't allocate the gpu that's sitting in the machine right now. 

I currently have a cheap gpu, since I was trying to make sure I allocated the flow towards my cpu and ram.  

For the gpu i went with something cheap - Graphics Cards: NVIDIA 2GB GeForce GT 1030

Just in case: 

Case : Rackmount 4U Chassis
    Processors: Intel Xeon W-2175 14-Core 2.5GHz (4.3GHz TurboBoost)
    Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SRA
    Memory: 64GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC REGISTERED (2x32GB)
    System Cooling: ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 360 Sealed Liquid Cooling System
    Case Fans: Corsair RGB Premium Fans
    Graphics Cards: NVIDIA 2GB GeForce GT 1030
    Operating System: No OS (Installation not supported by Origin PC)
    Hard Drive Cage: 5 Bay Hot-Swap Cage
    System Drive: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2
    RAID : No RAID
    Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung 860 QVO Series
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 750X RMX SERIES PLUS GOLD 
    Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio
    Networking: Onboard Network Port - 2x 1GB
    Optical Drive: 16X Blu-ray Burner
    Media Card Reader: 40-in-1 Media Card Reader