TUTORIAL FREE PPD Cloud GPU Tesla P100/V100 F@H! FINAL edition V2

@Metallus97 Thank you a lot for sharing this info with everyone and thank you for such a thorough guide.

Tho, I have a few questions. 

1. My P100 keeps sitting between 79-95%, is that normal or should I disable CPU folding (as usually it is not profitable on normal PC's, however, IDK what they use here and how it affects GPU's performance if it is pegged to 100%)

2. When I type "top", it gives me some sort of task manager, but how do I leave it? (Never mind, found it in help, it is "q" if anyone has this problem too)

3. Has anyone made calculation which one is better: 1 GPU and one cheaper CPU as you recommend or more GPUs and a better CPU? Also do you know PPD of K80?

4. Would you consider writing a guide for IBM Cloud? I seem a bit lost there...

5. Do these other providers(Amazon, Ms Azure, Oracle Cloud) have free credit?  

6. How do I stop folding when I hit 300$ free limit? Do I just delete whole VM instance?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

4 hours ago, Favebook said:

@Metallus97 Thank you a lot for sharing this info with everyone and thank you for such a thorough guide.

Tho, I have a few questions. 

1. My P100 keeps sitting between 79-95%, is that normal or should I disable CPU folding (as usually it is not profitable on normal PC's, however, IDK what they use here and how it affects GPU's performance if it is pegged to 100%)

2. When I type "top", it gives me some sort of task manager, but how do I leave it? (Never mind, found it in help, it is "q" if anyone has this problem too)

3. Has anyone made calculation which one is better: 1 GPU and one cheaper CPU as you recommend or more GPUs and a better CPU? Also do you know PPD of K80?

4. Would you consider writing a guide for IBM Cloud? I seem a bit lost there...

5. Do these other providers(Amazon, Ms Azure, Oracle Cloud) have free credit?  

6. How do I stop folding when I hit 300$ free limit? Do I just delete whole VM instance?

1. Thats what mine does to. Normal behavior. My cards in my home rig do this to. They sometimes dip to a little bit lower usage. When you do smi exactly then it will show this But like 98% of the time its near 100% usage.

2. or to exit every terminal program "Ctrl+C"

3. Haven't tried K80 but don't think it will produce much. Usually a 2core high perf+2xP100 is the most effective option: I was not throttled by the CPU but made sure to disable CPU folding.

4. I think we have some problems with IBM. I updated the Guide accordingly. Myself and a few others got banned. I think they detect what where up to and are not allowing this. Though I dont understand. Free credits are free credits and you should be allowed to calculate what ever you want.

5. Yes but less than google. ON amazon not sure if there are GPUs available for free credit use.

6. Yes delete the instance! Even when the instance is idling it will be the same cost. So simply delete it all together

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

18 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

1. Thats what mine does to. Normal behavior. My cards in my home rig do this to. They sometimes dip to a little bit lower usage. When you do smi exactly then it will show this But like 98% of the time its near 100% usage.

2. or to exit every terminal program "Ctrl+C"

3. Haven't tried K80 but don't think it will produce much. Usually a 2core high perf+2xP100 is the most effective option: I was not throttled by the CPU but made sure to disable CPU folding.

4. I think we have some problems with IBM. I updated the Guide accordingly. Myself and a few others got banned. I think they detect what where up to and are not allowing this. Though I dont understand. Free credits are free credits and you should be allowed to calculate what ever you want.

5. Yes but less than google. ON amazon not sure if there are GPUs available for free credit use.

6. Yes delete the instance! Even when the instance is idling it will be the same cost. So simply delete it all together

Once again, thank you for providing useful info.

Tho, if IBM is out of picture, what about Azure/Oracle/Amazon?

IBM was not user friendly anyway for begginers. Azure is a little bit easier than IBM but I cannot seem to be able to ssh/rdp into the VM I made there.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

2 hours ago, Favebook said:

Once again, thank you for providing useful info.

Tho, if IBM is out of picture, what about Azure/Oracle/Amazon?

IBM was not user friendly anyway for begginers. Azure is a little bit easier than IBM but I cannot seem to be able to ssh/rdp into the VM I made there.

I had success with Azure but on free you "only" get a M60 card. Maybe Ill have time next weekend to do a guide for an other service, but I am not sure how good they are or well If and when we we might get blocked like some have been on IBM.

I haven't tried this but I looks about right: https://medium.com/@joelatwar/how-to-ssh-to-your-azure-linux-vms-with-username-and-password-from-windows-linux-or-mac-df7d07ea3be1

Had to turn off Google one because run out of free credits. I will try to maybe look in to Oracle next possibly.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 10/10/2019 at 4:42 PM, Metallus97 said:

Watch out to create a PERSONAL account!!

amazingly enough (not at all), google doesn't allow citizens of my country to use personal accounts. Only business payment profiles.

Sometimes I hate google.

4 hours ago, sanya567xxx said:

amazingly enough (not at all), google doesn't allow citizens of my country to use personal accounts. Only business payment profiles.

Sometimes I hate google.

Same here...

Tho, @Metallus97 why not business account?

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

1 hour ago, Favebook said:

Same here...

Tho, @Metallus97 why not business account?

6 hours ago, sanya567xxx said:

Sometimes I hate google.

Because I my country this cloud get you in serious trouble. Faking a busies and such. I am not familiar with your regulations though... so if that's fine for you: Do it! You might even get more free credits :D.

Plz let me know how it goes. Depending on that ill add it to the guide!

2 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Because I my country this cloud get you in serious trouble. Faking a busies and such. I am not familiar with your regulations though... so if that's fine for you: Do it! You might even get more free credits :D.

Plz let me know how it goes. Depending on that ill add it to the guide!

Well, I do not know if we can get in trouble in our country. But if we can... I am in big trouble ?.

I'll try to contact them and see if we as business (I did not fake a business as I already have one and all the information I gave was correct) can actually use their GPU's computing services as a way to donate to folding at home.

However, it might not be a problem as long as I pay for it. But using multiple accounts and only using free credit is probably not allowed...

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

Well, I do not know if we can get in trouble in our country. But if we can... I am in big trouble ?.

I'll try to contact them and see if we as business (I did not fake a business as I already have one and all the information I gave was correct) can actually use their GPU's computing services as a way to donate to folding at home.

However, it might not be a problem as long as I pay for it. But using multiple accounts and only using free credit is probably not allowed...

Yeh that sound right!

Although a super nice idea to donate some of your business money!

How do you work out how much credit you have used in GCP?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Btw I have not really come anywhere with trying Oracle yet.

To me if I have not missed something you have to upgrade from a free to pay as you go account to get anything else than 2 cpu cores for the free credits, I have done that but have not been accepted yet.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

goddammit why cant they take paypal as payment method or anything else?? my credit card doesnt work :/

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

18 hours ago, Nicnac said:

goddammit why cant they take paypal as payment method or anything else?? my credit card doesnt work :/

privacy.com xD

On 10/19/2019 at 7:40 PM, shaz2sxy said:

How do you work out how much credit you have used in GCP?

on the main menu at the top right there is a payment button. There it will display how much of the free credits is left over.

24 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

on the main menu at the top right there is a payment button. There it will display how much of the free credits is left over.

Thank you found it 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

@Metallus97 Does it automaticly stop taking money on when the GCP credit stops or will i have to stop it?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

6 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

@Metallus97 Does it automaticly stop taking money on when the GCP credit stops or will i have to stop it?

You have to stop it. Delete the machines; this makes sure you won’t be charged.

to be honest I missed it on one of my instances and now I have to pay 5 Bucks, but still worth it :D 

Just now, Metallus97 said:

You have to stop it. Delete the machines; this makes sure you won’t be charged.

to be honest I missed it on one of my instances and now I have to pay 5 Bucks, but still worth it :D 

i've got £23.95p so that should be around half a day?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

Just now, shaz2sxy said:

i've got £23.95p so that should be around half a day?

Probably. Just do a quick calculation and set yourself a timer on your phone like one hour before the credits end. That way you should be save 

Thanks, @Metallus97! Got it working really easily with your instructions.

I also got remote control (using FAHControl) working.

I added a firewall rule under VPC Network>Firewall Rules>Create Firewall rule

I set the network to default, target to "All instances on this network", Source Ip ranges to 0.0.0.0/0 [This matches all IPs], protocols and ports to tcp port 36331 [Nonstandard port to try to prevent portscanning bots from easily guessing that FAH is running]. 

In the VM, I edited the FAH config.xml to include

<allow v='127.0.0.1 My.Public.ip.Address.at.home'/>
<command-port v='36331'/>
<password v='My_Super_Secret_Password'/>

Do note that the password is sent in plaintext, so don't use anything that you particularly care about. This is again just to mainly keep out bots.

Then restart FAH with this command (no need to reboot the machine):

sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient restart

After this add the client to FAHControl as you normally would, making sure to use the external IP address of the VM (shown on the compute engine homepage) as the IP and also making sure to set the port to 36331 (or whatever it was that you set it to). Also make sure to enter your password. If everything went well you should see the slots show up in FAHControl just as if FAH were running on your local system.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

@Metallus97

image.png.9588e138ae1664d5d91c65c8275aaf6a.png

That was close lol

managed to finish CPU & GPU WU lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

3 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

@Metallus97

image.png.9588e138ae1664d5d91c65c8275aaf6a.png

That was close lol

managed to finish CPU & GPU WU lol

I usually let it hit the 0, not gonna lose much money anyway. Tho @shaz2sxy, watch my PPD for tomorrow and day after. It's gonna be NOISE.

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

I usually let it hit the 0, not gonna lose much money anyway. Tho @shaz2sxy, watch my PPD for tomorrow and day after. It's gonna be NOISE.

image.png.d1f7a97ede6f041ce557b57f1e975f49.pngJust refreshed it and it has settled at 13p lol

I've just had 1 VM finish

currently have 3 running

and 1 i'm starting now

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC