Apple credit card fraud found.. that was quick

GoodBytes
On 10/11/2019 at 9:35 AM, mr moose said:

1 pound is about $2 (give or take).  Our wealth is higher than the US so it's not quite as bad as it looks.

£1 is like $1.20 are you okay?

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Tastes better if you make it yourself.

Now that I can agree with!

The only problem is half the load is already gone within an hour of it coming out of the oven because theres nothing better than fresh, warm bread!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 10/11/2019 at 2:54 PM, corsairian said:

No pin. No chip. That's insane to have on any debit or credit card. Apple is too funny.

My credit card had a chip and I think it has a pin.  I havent used it in a year. 

Why do people keep claiming the physical card doesn't have a chip?  It's as plain as daylight.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, wafflehaus said:

Wait-- The Apple Credit cards are still using Magstripes? In 2019? Bloody hell,  as an Australian this blows my mind. We've been on chip-and-pin for years.

What do you mean? Our cards have both, just like the Apple card.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:28 PM, mr moose said:

Average loaf of bread is about $2.50 and marmite is $4-5 depending on bottle size.  But we also have higher average general wealth.

Woolworths and Coles both sell a load of bread for as little as $1.

9 hours ago, Gealach said:

£1 is like $1.20 are you okay?

It's actual 1.86 (gone down since I last looked) I'm in Australia.

6 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Woolworths and Coles both sell a load of bread for as little as $1.

That's why I said the average was about $2.5   woolworths cheapest is a $1 and coles cheapest is/was $1.25,  while the branded bread is usually $3.30-$3.70 depending on brand and the wanky bread is all over $4.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/10/2019 at 11:55 PM, Blademaster91 said:

Well, you're digging a hole here, there isn't any defending Apple over this because they claimed their CC was more secure than any other CC.

Have a look at the claims they make in bold like "Apple completely rethinks everything about the credit card". Apple uses misleading marketing to claim their card has better security and privacy than any other card,and it can only be used by you.

Except their card is the same as any other card, and isn't any more un-hackable than any other physical card.

Yes, it is more secure than others. That is a fact. But only idiots extrapolate to think that it's unhackable (because nothing is, unless a compute programs itself or something). You're forgetting the fucking fact that card skimming isn't as widespread as it is rather compared to a shady dude with a camera recording you taking out your card. So it is more secure. Period.

Other cards a susceptible to the camera thing, Apple Card isn't. Also Apple gives you financial incentive to always pay with your phone, psychologically forcing 99.99% (maybe you fall into 0.01%) of the users, hence making it even more secure than everything else on the market (like literally giving you double to triple the cashback for using your iPhone instead of the card, so stop digging the hole you just made for yourself)

Take out your hate on Apple at some boxing club or something. Maybe you'll make a name for yourself there.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:42 AM, mr moose said:

This is just another case of a company overstating the benefits of a product.    I say the same thine about all companies.   It's just I don't remember my bank telling me my CC was only able to be used by me, or that it was more secure for any reason.   

And you don't reply anything relevant to my previous reply. Apple talks about all that with Apple Pay on iPhone and Apple Watch, not the card. The card is more of an art piece than anything. For the backward places in US who refuse to let go of magnetic or non contactless terminals, because US loves to still live in 2000's these days

EDIT: and to add,  my bank actually told me to never let my card go out of sight and be mindful of skimmers and modified ATM's to prevent unauthorized use.  Pretty much the poplar opposite of Apples marketing.  

That's fucking obvious. Do you really need a company to state every single thing for you to follow it? The stupid comments I have to read here as justification to hate apple is extremely childish at this point

On 10/13/2019 at 4:03 AM, Gealach said:

Once in my life have I used the magnetic strip on my card, any guesses which country that was in?

I've not used cash in 3 months. Contactless/Apple Pay (identical in my country, anywhere that supports contactless supports Apple Pay) every single day of my life.

Visiting the US makes me feel like I've gone back in time. Using cash like a neanderthal...

In Canada, the only time I ever need to use cash is the Girl Guide Cookies and similar ad-hoc kiosks when kids are trying to sell things. They certainly aren't going to have a way to pay by card unless their parents are involved.

Occasionally there's like Asian Grocery stores that make it hard to use the card because they keep all the card stuff out of sight. But in general the only time cash gets used outside of the above is at conventions. But this needs further explanation.

In Canada, you end up accepting cash more often at conventions because the mobile phone networks ultra-suck near them, so you can't get an internet connection to do chip+pin with. So if you have a Square reader you end up having to do off-line magstripe, and that's dangerous.

In the US, you rarely have to accept cash, as everyone will readily hand you their mag-stripe card and sign for it. This is still stupidly dangerous. But unlike in Canada, the US mobile networks have had "unmetered" bandwidth for several years, and there's actually more than two carriers serving any square mile. Unfortunately, convention centers are again oversubscribed, and trying to use Square inside WSCC ends up being a pain in the ass, so you end up switching to offline mode, and have to accept the liability.

Is contactless any good? It's actually more secure than the chip in the chip cards in theory (since your PIN won't be entered.) The reason is that the nonce changes with every transaction so there's no way to "skim" a NFC card. YET, there are theoretical ways of relaying a transaction to a contactless card that are impractical in all but high traffic locations. So in those situations the mobile phone contactless payment ends up being better because you have to initiate the NFC transaction on the device. With chip+pin, someone can still skim the card number from a mag stripe and record your pin on a security camera and then just replay the mag stripe using samsung's mag stripe transmitter, in theory.

All it takes to skim a mag stripe card is something "listening" when the mag stripe is run against the reader. You can't hear it, but I assure you other devices can.

43 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Yes, it is more secure than others. That is a fact. But only idiots extrapolate to think that it's unhackable (because nothing is, unless a compute programs itself or something). You're forgetting the fucking fact that card skimming isn't as widespread as it is rather compared to a shady dude with a camera recording you taking out your card. So it is more secure. Period.

Other cards a susceptible to the camera thing, Apple Card isn't. Also Apple gives you financial incentive to always pay with your phone, psychologically forcing 99.99% (maybe you fall into 0.01%) of the users, hence making it even more secure than everything else on the market (like literally giving you double to triple the cashback for using your iPhone instead of the card, so stop digging the hole you just made for yourself)

Take out your hate on Apple at some boxing club or something. Maybe you'll make a name for yourself there.

No hate here, just facts which you still seem to ignore.

Except Apple with the usual marketing nonsense insists their card protects you more no matter what, but that clearly isn't the case here, and paying with your phone has nothing to do with the card, you can do that with any other ordinary plastic card for poor people.

20 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

you can do that with any other ordinary plastic card for poor people.

If you've got your hands on an iPhone that runs iOS 12 or newer (it may be supported in older versions? IDK) signing up is free and ordering the card is free and they ship it to you for free, so teeechnically (especially given how cheaply you can get an iPhone 6S) the Apple Card would be a card for poor people? Just made of nice, scratchably finished titanium. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

And you don't reply anything relevant to my previous reply. Apple talks about all that with Apple Pay on iPhone and Apple Watch, not the card. The card is more of an art piece than anything. For the backward places in US who refuse to let go of magnetic or non contactless terminals, because US loves to still live in 2000's these days

Doing your best to ignore the facts I see.   I don't care about apples other technology, if they claim their card is more secure and it isn't then that is shit.  Period.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/10/2019 at 11:24 AM, yolosnail said:

In the UK, there is literally nowhere you can go that doesn't accept contactless payments. I can't remember the last time I took my card out my wallet, or paid with cash. I just use Google Pay for everything. 

In fact, when I go shopping I even use my phone to scan the shopping then just pay on the way out with Google pay. 

Except B&Q 

For some

Inexplicable

Reason