Apple credit card fraud found.. that was quick

GoodBytes
51 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Just pointing out that you can't use tech limitations to excuse poor marketing.

Just pointing out that you can't extrapolate marketing terms to things that fundamentally can't be true.

It's secure-re, compared to pretty much every other card. And that's only what Apple said.

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

magnetic strip

fun fact: here in Australia, banks no longer use this method due to it's security issues...

*C L A P*

*C L A P*

*C L A P*

*C L A P*

oh good, my slow clap processor made it into this thing...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Just pointing out that you can't extrapolate marketing terms to things that fundamentally can't be true.

It's secure-re, compared to pretty much every other card. And that's only what Apple said.

Fraudulent marketing is fraudulent marketing:

from their website:

Apple Card is designed to make sure you’re the only one who can use it.

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/

Please stop defending shit company practices.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

seriously, when is the magstripe going to die ._. (also when will ATMs accept Google and Apple pay ._.)

Actually here in Southeast Asia, adoption of EMV readers are fast even on small stores. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Actually here in Southeast Asia, adoption of EMV readers are fast even on small stores. 

In the UK, there is literally nowhere you can go that doesn't accept contactless payments. I can't remember the last time I took my card out my wallet, or paid with cash. I just use Google Pay for everything. 

In fact, when I go shopping I even use my phone to scan the shopping then just pay on the way out with Google pay. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

13 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

actually i wasn't aware, when the switch happened. i think i remember being around the EMV system more than the pure magstripe system throughout my life? o_o

like when i had my first bank card it already had the EMV chip on it.

so yeah I'm not sure "how painless it was" for the merchants ,_, but thank whoever for magstripes not being used for transactions here (well, except for activating the card eater on ATMs. seriously that's another thing that needs updating.

I don't even think they use the magstripe for ATMs here, I have magstripe ATMs blocked on one of my cards and have never had an issue

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

i only know of this because i had a card with a peeling magstripe and the machine didn't detect the card when it folded back as i inserted it ._. (basically the door didn't go up)

not sure if it actually uses the number in the magstripe for account identification, but yeah

I know the block definitely works on my card because I intentionally tried it on a magstripe only ATM and it said there was an error with the card. 

I see very little reason for the magstripe to still exist, it's more 'secure' than contactless because of the £30 limit but less convenient, chip and pin is also faster because you don't have to sign.

For the people I know with shops it didn't cost them anything to get a reader that accepts contactless (or even chip and pin back in the day), most of the card machines are rented/leased anyway so they can just have them replaced, and it was just a drop in replacement anyway so they didn't have to change anything

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Card skimmers added on gas station machines doesn't affect the merchant.

It does when the merchant is involved. Like I said, in some cases owners or employees allowed the skimmers to be put in place. It does affect them when the police show up with warrants and the news shows up with cameras. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Apple rep, when asked about the issue said it was a "very rare" occurance.

Yeah because the damn thing is brand new, not like everyone's got one

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

last time I was in the US I was baffled that everything used strip swipers instead of chips. In Canada its VERY rare that someone needs to swipe my card and when they do Mastercard/Visa calls me asking whats happening. But everywhere I went in the US they swiped the card and its very easy to skim a cards number from swiping it. Most places in Canada have touch now and thats just as easy to skim numbers from. I use my wallet that doesn't allow people to walk up and tap for card information. 

3 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

last time I was in the US I was baffled that everything used strip swipers instead of chips. In Canada its VERY rare that someone needs to swipe my card and when they do Mastercard/Visa calls me asking whats happening. But everywhere I went in the US they swiped the card and its very easy to skim a cards number from swiping it. Most places in Canada have touch now and thats just as easy to skim numbers from. I use my wallet that doesn't allow people to walk up and tap for card information. 

Tap is not the same number and is limited l, for most cards to 50 or 100$. Considering that, when you use a credit card it is the bank money, not yours like debit cards, they easily revert the charges.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Fraudulent marketing is fraudulent marketing:

from their website:

https://www.apple.com/apple-card/

Please stop defending shit company practices.

What the fuck? Which credit card companies says otherwise? Stop digging your own hole deeper than it is. And did you even try looking at the context (I presume you jumped with excitement, to even read the next line). Thy talk about touch ID and face ID, clearly implying that one statement is meant for Apple Pay through device, as anyone can indeed still take your Apple Card and make NFC transactions due to the way contactless payments have been designed for convenience at the cost of security.

Apple Card is designed to make sure you’re the only one who can use it. All the advanced security technologies of Apple Pay — Face ID, Touch ID, unique transaction codes — are built right in. And the physical card has no numbers. Not on the front. Not on the back. Which gives you a whole new level of security.

And the physical card , is where they go back talking about the card. Is basic comprehension? And even in the said line, it in no way implies that the card in unhackable or you can never be frauded

Your data is safe with us, until of course someone hacks and cause a massive data breach, like facebook, google, and million other internet based companies

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

They'll hold onto it as long as they can, just like Imperial measurement.

I've always assumed they haven't switched over to a chip system because, in some way, fraud has some twisted advantage for the large companies.

Don't quote me on this but I've heard from some video (I don't remember which one) that the Chipotle restaurant chain specifically is against Chip and Pin cos making people put in their pin is "too slow" compared to just doing a signature or just inserting/swiping with no signature -_- .

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

snip

This does feel like kind of "water is wet" news. This was already expected. It happens with every type of debit and credit card.

Especially in the US because most US credit cards are either A) Chip + Signature with no pin OR B) straight up swiping cos some US merchants still don't support Chip for some reason.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

What the fuck? Which credit card companies says otherwise? Stop digging your own hole deeper than it is. And did you even try looking at the context (I presume you jumped with excitement, to even read the next line). Thy talk about touch ID and face ID, clearly implying that one statement is meant for Apple Pay through device, as anyone can indeed still take your Apple Card and make NFC transactions due to the way contactless payments have been designed for convenience at the cost of security.

And the physical card , is where they go back talking about the card. Is basic comprehension? And even in the said line, it in no way implies that the card in unhackable or you can never be frauded

Your data is safe with us, until of course someone hacks and cause a massive data breach, like facebook, google, and million other internet based companies

Well, you're digging a hole here, there isn't any defending Apple over this because they claimed their CC was more secure than any other CC.

Have a look at the claims they make in bold like "Apple completely rethinks everything about the credit card". Apple uses misleading marketing to claim their card has better security and privacy than any other card,and it can only be used by you.

Except their card is the same as any other card, and isn't any more un-hackable than any other physical card.

17 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

it still has a magnetic strip... so it's very easy to steal. just go rig up a gas pump

Also this brings to mind a topic... WHY THE HECK ARE LIKE ALL GAS STATIONS IN THE US STILL USING MAGNETIC STRIPS?!

chip and pin is almost everywhere... except at the pump. which is literally the easiest thing to rig up a skimmer to... Like seriously?

Really? Any station I've used around my area has always used the chip on my card, never the stripe.

17 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Because new readers would cost money. Simple. 

We've had chip for at least 20 years here. Don't tell me anyone is using 20 year old terminals today... aka if they had started replacing broken terminals with chip-compatible ones back then they'd all support chip by now.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Yeah because the damn thing is brand new, not like everyone's got one

In Apple land ANY issue only affects "a small percentage" or "a very small number" of people. Even the keyboards, bendgate and other things that warrant extended repair programs. So we know the trust level of those announcements is somewhere below 0...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

18 hours ago, wafflehaus said:

Wait-- The Apple Credit cards are still using Magstripes? In 2019? Bloody hell,  as an Australian this blows my mind. We've been on chip-and-pin for years.

Apple is not in a position to offer a card in the US without one.

Really, if you want to see the end of the mag stripe, Euro-Mastercard/Visa have to drop the magstripe first. It persists because the United States has all the money and can thus dictate how sloppy/convenient they want their payments.

This is why everyone should be using the tap-to-pay feature of their cell phone, even if the stores you shop at say they don't support it. Bring out the phone, look for the tap-to-pay sensor. When you don't see it, then pull out the card and try tapping the card, or inserting the card into the card slot. Don't use the mag-stripe if any other option works. 

I go about my day never having to deal with cash, every place I shop will take the Amex or the Mastercard tap-to-pay, and the only place I shop at that doesn't have tap-to-pay is Walmart, which I insert the Amex card into the card slot. None of these use the mag-stripe reader. The most likely thing I use that uses the mag stripe is probably the transit pass vending machines. 

The person in question probably had their card skimmed if they used it to pay for gas or a third-party ATM, as people aren't particularly careful about looking for skimmers (always pull on the card slot before inserting a card to see if it's loose or comes off, always cover the pin-pad even if you don't see anyone around.)

8 hours ago, yolosnail said:

I know the block definitely works on my card because I intentionally tried it on a magstripe only ATM and it said there was an error with the card. 

I see very little reason for the magstripe to still exist, it's more 'secure' than contactless because of the £30 limit but less convenient, chip and pin is also faster because you don't have to sign.

For the people I know with shops it didn't cost them anything to get a reader that accepts contactless (or even chip and pin back in the day), most of the card machines are rented/leased anyway so they can just have them replaced, and it was just a drop in replacement anyway so they didn't have to change anything

My sister runs her own health and fitness business... even she's got a contactless card reader that she takes to all of her classes. In fact, I think she said that she has zero cash payers any more and almost half of her clients have even switched over to direct debits.

I rarely carry cash any more... but it's nice to keep some on you for when it's needed. I probably only withdraw £20-30 a month from an ATM... it's more handy for when you just want to pick up a pint of milk at the local shop... especially those who refuse to take card payments unless it's over £10... Because in Jan 2018 they made it illegal to charge for using a card. My local shop still tried to charge me after that date... so I told them off, left what I was buying on the counter and refuse to shop there ever again... 18 months later, they've still lost me as a customer. I'd rather drive 2 miles to the supermarket than support greedy fuckers like that.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

When will people stop reading Marketing verbiage without realizing an entire division is employed to put out words in such a manner that causes people to think its more than it is.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

This is just another case of a company overstating the benefits of a product.    I say the same thine about all companies.   It's just I don't remember my bank telling me my CC was only able to be used by me, or that it was more secure for any reason.   

EDIT: and to add,  my bank actually told me to never let my card go out of sight and be mindful of skimmers and modified ATM's to prevent unauthorized use.  Pretty much the poplar opposite of Apples marketing.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

seriously, when is the magstripe going to die ._. (also when will ATMs accept Google and Apple pay ._.)

Apple with magstripe: "It's secure"

Rest of the planet: [Laughs in civilisation]

49 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

When will people stop reading Marketing verbiage without realizing an entire division is employed to put out words in such a manner that causes people to think its more than it is.  

When will people stop reading Marketing verbiage without realizing an entire division is employed to put out words in such a manner that causes people to think its less than it is?  

F@H

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

When will people stop reading Marketing verbiage without realizing an entire division is employed to put out words in such a manner that causes people to think its less than it is?  

Are you seriously asking for people to be more naive and gullible?

The exact opposite. People all believe Apple's "holy words" but they're precisely nothing but a whole marketing team downplaying issues. Just as much of a problem as people blowing up issues out of proportion.

F@H

GPD Win 2