A good android phone under 6" for 200 to 250 euros (that is not Huawei)?

Tolrag

Hello,

I'm looking for a phone for someone who wants to switch from iOS to Android. Requirements:

-Having a decent battery life

-Having an OK+ camera, good enough to take pictures while visiting places without it looking too bad

-Being "small", under 6" (I know nowadays it's not easy to find...)

What she does on the phone:

-Sending messages

-Reading and sending mails

-Taking (non-professional) pictures

It does not need to be a fresh new model, however, because of the shenanigans related to Huawei, I think it could be safer for her not to get one. She is not tech savy in the slightest, and i'd rather have her not worrying to much about it.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot, your post is incredibly helpful. I think you're right about old gens. I personally have an Honor 9 and just changed its battery rather than switching, because it's awesome for me. 

The reason why I did not really consider older gens is that I am worried about battery life. Even if she bought it new, the battery surely would have taken a hit by staying in a shelf for 2 or 3 years, wouldn't it? That coupled with the fact that I'm not too sure about this phone's future... 

But I should probably consider older devices from other Android phone builders. I will check that, and the galaxy 8.

Again, my thanks. 

Under 6" is an absolute size, I mean, i do not have any very precise size in mind other than that. Above 6" is too big, and the closer it is to 5", the better, if you will.

A decent battery life is hard to determine, I set this requirement to exclude devices that are very well known for having a battery that is considerably worst than others. It needs to not die for 10 hours while being used moderately to not very much. Again, this kind of things is extrely hard to evaluate with precision for me.

About the camera, she is using an iPhone, i believe it is the 4th but it could be one generation higher. Something slightly better than a Huawei P20 lite or a Honor 9 would be great. Something that is sharp and accurate... "enough". I don't have precise measurements for that either. I would take any recommandation, and then check the devices and make a choice. It's ok if some recommandation do not match my actual requirements, it still gives me ideas.

Sorry for not being specific enough, I can't really be for things that are at least partially subjectives, and because I wont be the user of the phone. But thanks anyway though :)

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Please tell us the absolute device size, or refer to something of the size that she does not want to exceed. It is no longer practical to determine total device size by the screen's diagonal measure because phones are dropping their standard aspect ratio and going bezel-less.

An office printer has a smaller screen than your desk monitor. That does not mean that an office printer is the smaller device...

You're very picky. You know what he meant 

Yes sorry, I should have been more precise about my location. I live in France. The store that is the most convenient is www.amazon.fr , there is also www.cdiscount.com , www.boulanger.com . But anything goes I guess...

Thanks for the time you are investing in this, really appreciate that. I wish I had kept up with smartphones for all these years... 

Thanks for all the advices! I checked the specs and prices of all the phones you mentioned, and I think the Galacy s8 is the prime candidate the A40 being a second, cheaper choice. I'll be waiting for the upcoming sales and will keep my eyes opened. Thanks again :)

I will, thank you. I will tell her that if she wants a small form factor, she'll have to accept having a bad battery life. Thanks for the precision. I kinda always assumed that because the screen was smaller, the battery consumption was also proportionally lower, but i guess it is not a linear thing.