Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tolrag

A good android phone under 6" for 200 to 250 euros (that is not Huawei)?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello,

I'm looking for a phone for someone who wants to switch from iOS to Android. Requirements:

-Having a decent battery life

-Having an OK+ camera, good enough to take pictures while visiting places without it looking too bad

-Being "small", under 6" (I know nowadays it's not easy to find...)

What she does on the phone:

-Sending messages

-Reading and sending mails

-Taking (non-professional) pictures

It does not need to be a fresh new model, however, because of the shenanigans related to Huawei, I think it could be safer for her not to get one. She is not tech savy in the slightest, and i'd rather have her not worrying to much about it.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Tolrag said:

Hello,

Thanks!

Anything that's a generation or 2 older is great. Especially if you can find a flagship. Even Huawei devices. If you can find the Mate 10 Pro for this price, you'll have a top of the line phone with a normal working Android system. The limitations are beginning with the new mate 30 series released these days. Not trying to convince, just clarifying.

Other than that, I'd also check for a Galaxy S8, Lg whichever flagship was the previous one since their prices tend to drop like brick but are otherwise great devices...something along those lines. If she's searching for absolutely latest gen devices, then she's gonna have a bad time, since mid range devices are just above that range, especially in the EU. You could also wait for black Friday sale. That should drop prices significantly

Tl;dr: look for previous gen flagships, they'll do wonders for the money. I'm sure there's some deals to be found. Also, wait for a black friday sale and then buy. In the mean time check out GSM arena and familiarize yourself with the market. Shouldn't take long.

Be patient.

Just because a new product has come out, it doesn't mean that your thing is suddenly performing worse than it was when you bought it.

Thanks a lot, your post is incredibly helpful. I think you're right about old gens. I personally have an Honor 9 and just changed its battery rather than switching, because it's awesome for me. 

The reason why I did not really consider older gens is that I am worried about battery life. Even if she bought it new, the battery surely would have taken a hit by staying in a shelf for 2 or 3 years, wouldn't it? That coupled with the fact that I'm not too sure about this phone's future... 

But I should probably consider older devices from other Android phone builders. I will check that, and the galaxy 8.

Again, my thanks. 

3 hours ago, Tolrag said:

-Being "small", under 6" (I know nowadays it's not easy to find...)

Please tell us the absolute device size, or refer to something of the size that she does not want to exceed. It is no longer practical to determine total device size by the screen's diagonal measure because phones are dropping their standard aspect ratio and going bezel-less.

An office printer has a smaller screen than your desk monitor. That does not mean that an office printer is the smaller device...

-Having a decent battery life

What is 'decent'?

Please give us an objectional measure. Maybe you can tell us what is not 'decent', how long it lasts on a charge, and how long she wants the new phone to last a charge.

-Having an OK+ camera, good enough to take pictures while visiting places without it looking too bad

What is 'ok'? What is 'looking bad'?

What is she currently using, and does she consider it to be good or bad?

Being super ambiguous with your request is only going to open it up to anyone's interpretation. And then they will start recommending things that do not meet your actual objective.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Under 6" is an absolute size, I mean, i do not have any very precise size in mind other than that. Above 6" is too big, and the closer it is to 5", the better, if you will.

A decent battery life is hard to determine, I set this requirement to exclude devices that are very well known for having a battery that is considerably worst than others. It needs to not die for 10 hours while being used moderately to not very much. Again, this kind of things is extrely hard to evaluate with precision for me.

About the camera, she is using an iPhone, i believe it is the 4th but it could be one generation higher. Something slightly better than a Huawei P20 lite or a Honor 9 would be great. Something that is sharp and accurate... "enough". I don't have precise measurements for that either. I would take any recommandation, and then check the devices and make a choice. It's ok if some recommandation do not match my actual requirements, it still gives me ideas.

Sorry for not being specific enough, I can't really be for things that are at least partially subjectives, and because I wont be the user of the phone. But thanks anyway though :)

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Please tell us the absolute device size, or refer to something of the size that she does not want to exceed. It is no longer practical to determine total device size by the screen's diagonal measure because phones are dropping their standard aspect ratio and going bezel-less.

An office printer has a smaller screen than your desk monitor. That does not mean that an office printer is the smaller device...

You're very picky. You know what he meant 

29 minutes ago, Tolrag said:

Sorry for not being specific enough, I can't really be for things that are at least partially subjectives, and because I wont be the user of the phone. But thanks anyway though :)

Ok. Where in Europe are you? Can you provide a link to;

• The store you intend to buy from

Or

• One or more stores that you find to have a good selection and will consider buying from

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Yes sorry, I should have been more precise about my location. I live in France. The store that is the most convenient is www.amazon.fr , there is also www.cdiscount.com , www.boulanger.com . But anything goes I guess...

Thanks for the time you are investing in this, really appreciate that. I wish I had kept up with smartphones for all these years... 

7 hours ago, Tolrag said:

Yes sorry, I should have been more precise about my location. I live in France. The store that is the most convenient is www.amazon.fr , there is also www.cdiscount.com , www.boulanger.com . But anything goes I guess...

Thanks for the time you are investing in this, really appreciate that. I wish I had kept up with smartphones for all these years... 

The Galaxy A40 if you are really particular about having a small phone. Unfortunately, this desire is in direct conflict with having a large battery. 3,100mAh is not too bad considering it has an efficient 1080p oled display. The device is only slightly larger than an iPhone 6/7 despite the screen measuring in at 5.9" Its 16MP dual camera is not bad but not remarkable either.

If you want a FAR more capable device, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro has come at a very opportune time and price for your market. Sporting a more powerful chipset, 6GB of RAM, copious 4,500mAh battery, and wayyy superior 64MP quad camera arrangement. But then its much bigger than the A40 or standard iPhone.

If you want a splendid Android phone that is also really small, there is the Galaxy S10e. But its out of your budget.

Your call.

Thanks for all the advices! I checked the specs and prices of all the phones you mentioned, and I think the Galacy s8 is the prime candidate the A40 being a second, cheaper choice. I'll be waiting for the upcoming sales and will keep my eyes opened. Thanks again :)

16 minutes ago, Tolrag said:

Thanks for all the advices! I checked the specs and prices of all the phones you mentioned, and I think the Galacy s8 is the prime candidate the A40 being a second, cheaper choice. I'll be waiting for the upcoming sales and will keep my eyes opened. Thanks again :)

The S8 is about the same size as the A40 and has great performance and good camera (as any flagship would) However the battery life is subpar. It has to drive a more power hungry chipset, and the GPU to operate its 1440p screen, and the battery is only 3000mAh to begin with.

If you get it used, I imagine the battery would be even worse. I hate to recommend devices with small battery, let alone a used one. Because it is my intention to help people find something that suits their desires AND CAN ACTUALLY LAST TO BE WORTH A DAMN. In your case the only reason I am not absolutely slamming the A40 and S8, is because you asked specifically for a small device.

Hopefully you can pass on the message to your friend the fact that its really fucking impossible to get great battery life and specs from a dinky little phone in this price segment.

I will, thank you. I will tell her that if she wants a small form factor, she'll have to accept having a bad battery life. Thanks for the precision. I kinda always assumed that because the screen was smaller, the battery consumption was also proportionally lower, but i guess it is not a linear thing.

9 hours ago, Tolrag said:

I kinda always assumed that because the screen was smaller, the battery consumption was also proportionally lower, but i guess it is not a linear thing.

Smaller screen takes less power to run, yes. But the screen is not the only component that needs to be powered. This is unavoidable.

If the purchase is not urgent, I suggest you spend time with her to find out in greater detail what she wants or doesn't want in a phone. Also why she is ditching iPhone for Android.