Project Scorpion

SIA Tech Mods

Hi guys, it's been awhile since my last build but I finally have another in the works, This one I call project Scorpion

Going with the Thermaltake Core P5 V2 for the case, here it is with my great Sketchup skills that don't catch any details but I guess you'll see those as I add them along the build process.
aGX2uAR.png

Along with with the Thermaltake M360 Plus water cooling kit!
yNV4hYW.jpg

... and of course the Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 ARGB 850w PSU!
eCuVVp3.jpg

I've not got everything I need for this build yet so this will be an ongoing project, however, that said, I've made a start where I can.
KrAXveN.jpg
vScfmJ1.jpg
pOWvFxQ.jpg

When the build is going to stagger in places it is bound to leave me time to think about things that I can change to improve my design, I decided to try the Cablemod Vertical GPU mount, it looks amazing on this case and that's even with the weird 8600GT I used! :D
gKtnX1R.jpg

Very nice. I haven't gotten into custom paining myself but I think it looks great so far. Keep us updated.

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Very nice. I haven't gotten into custom paining myself but I think it looks great so far. Keep us updated.

This has been the toughest in my opinion. I've never had to account for factory paint being in certain places, like the front IO panel. To get a flush, surface wasn't easy, it took time and a light hand, I used 2500grit wet to sand down the edges where I painted the green to blend with the factory paint, the main reason I did this was to avoid any paint chipping in the future.

3 minutes ago, Techtu said:

This has been the toughest in my opinion. I've never had to account for factory paint being in certain places, like the front IO panel. To get a flush, surface wasn't easy, it took time and a light hand, I used 2500grit wet to sand down the edges where I painted the green to blend with the factory paint, the main reason I did this was to avoid any paint chipping in the future.

Paint chipping and even coating after sanding is my largest concern as to why I haven't gone into doing it myself. My desktop right now isn't in a chassis so I can't really go into painting it. Some day in the future maybe.

9 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Paint chipping and even coating after sanding is my largest concern as to why I haven't gone into doing it myself. My desktop right now isn't in a chassis so I can't really go into painting it. Some day in the future maybe.

There's plenty of videos nowadays that can assist you, my biggest tip would be don't worry about the process, as long as you use the right tools and take your time it will go right, even if things go wrong, which they have for me before, I just sand back using a lower and lower grit if needed until the error is fixed, as long as your not applying too much paint and sanding in between it's easier than it looks, albeit I'm still learning but that's where the fun is for me. :)

looks awesome!

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core  Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming RAM G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC ULTRA Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 2 ATX Full Tower Case Storage Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive & Samsung EVO 850 500gb x 2 in RAID  PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2  Display LG 34UM95-P IPS 34" Ultra Wide monitor 3440x1440 & Samsung C32HG70 31.5" 2560x1440 144 Hz Cooling CUSTOM RIGID TUBE WATER LOOP 

• 2 months later...

A little update!

It's been rather long since I had chance to do much since my kids take up most of my time and then a little hiccup with a wrong package I recieved but we are now getting there! There is just 2 things on the way but I plan to start building the loop tomorrow anyway.

Which actually brings us to the fittings I'll be using, they are beautiful to say the least! Looking forward to using these. :D
EQzTel2.jpg

Firstly I needed some aluminium!
2QMU3ED.jpg

That was easy enough but then I wanted to get it engraved but as you see below that didn't turn out so great and was rather hard to see under normal conditions.
rTTfI8z.jpg
rbnFqmd.jpg

After the failure with the engraving I decided that I'll try somewhere else for my engraving, that is yet to be done but in the mean time I was able to get the finish I wanted on the panels. A brushed finish on the outside and a rough mirror finsh on the inside (No power tools and shoulder injury makes this kind of work extremely difficult) and I'm quite happy with the look, I didn't want a 100% smooth mirror finish, or at least even now I don't think so anyway, it gives it a bit of a rough look which suits the overall look I'll be going for
Iohw04F.jpg
q3zW8or.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to have this build finished soon now! :D

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 1:49 PM, Techtu said:

A little update!

It's been rather long since I had chance to do much since my kids take up most of my time and then a little hiccup with a wrong package I recieved but we are now getting there! There is just 2 things on the way but I plan to start building the loop tomorrow anyway.

Which actually brings us to the fittings I'll be using, they are beautiful to say the least! Looking forward to using these. :D
EQzTel2.jpg

Firstly I needed some aluminium!
2QMU3ED.jpg

That was easy enough but then I wanted to get it engraved but as you see below that didn't turn out so great and was rather hard to see under normal conditions.
rTTfI8z.jpg
rbnFqmd.jpg

After the failure with the engraving I decided that I'll try somewhere else for my engraving, that is yet to be done but in the mean time I was able to get the finish I wanted on the panels. A brushed finish on the outside and a rough mirror finsh on the inside (No power tools and shoulder injury makes this kind of work extremely difficult) and I'm quite happy with the look, I didn't want a 100% smooth mirror finish, or at least even now I don't think so anyway, it gives it a bit of a rough look which suits the overall look I'll be going for
Iohw04F.jpg
q3zW8or.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to have this build finished soon now! :D

Hey how do you like the PSU?

I read a few things that got me afraid to use the one I just bought for my new rig.

I heard two things, have you seen or have any other feeback about the PSU.

1. It fried a few peoples motherboards/cpu/gpu either right after plugging it in, or a few days later after a loud pop.

2. It cannot handle two GPU builds.

Thanks.