Lifetime iPhone User, Switching to Android

jdalphin92

Aside from the original Motorola Droid X and X2 as well as the LG V20, I've been a lifetime iPhone user with my most recent the XS Max.  I absolutely love it.  However, I'm contemplating switching providers and the one I'm considering switching to would pay off my current phone and allow me to bring it over.  That's a plus as it would allow me to give my wife the XS Max and ditch her cracked X.  With that being said, I have watched hours of phone reviews and comparisons.  My brain is fried trying to decide.  Unfortunately, with the US ban of Huawei, I have to write off those options.  I've narrowed down to the S10+ and the Note 10+...but choosing between the two is where I'm stuck.  Hands on in a store is about damn near useless...so I'm coming to the community to decide.  What is the community's thoughts between the two when switching from iOS as a new permanent daily driver?

The note 9 is superior to either of those imo. If its between those exact two the S10+ would be my pick

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Simple. Do you want the stylus or headphone jack?

If that's the main deciding factor, headphone jack...lol.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The note 9 is superior to either of those imo. If its between those exact two the note would be my pick

The reasoning that the 9 is superior?

Just now, jdalphin92 said:

Note 9 is pretty much a note 10 without the strange hole punch and with a headphone jack.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Buy the s10+ if headphone jack matters or get the Asus Zenfone 5 if you wanna save some money

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, huilun02 said:

I mean, why dont you have the deciding factor already in your head?

Why do we have to try to sell the phone to you? They both run pretty much the same software. The reason the Note exists is kind of obvious.

If you want to really appreciate an Android device, you have to take charge and say what you want. So you can actually get what you want. Not what someone else wants or what they want you to buy.

Not knowing any of the 9999 different options out there is not a reason to just give up. You have already used multiple phones and have an opinion or observation of what you liked and disliked about them. We can work on that information to narrow down on the ideal candidate. Things like device size, ergonomics, design, material, battery life, functionality, performance aspect, whatever you liked and wish to have on your next device, or disliked and wish was gone or improved. The more information you can provide, the better the odds of me finding your ideal new phone.

The biggest selling points on a phone these days for me are the the screen, camera, and battery life.  That's basically all flagships these days, and most service providers and big box stores have such limited demo's that narrowing down something is hard.  I dislike most android interfaces as they become clunky and bloated with their own crap (e.g. LG with their entire lineup and Google with the Pixel) and I could give a crap about any kind of gimmicky waving over the screen or even a pen.  So long as the interface is streamlined, records awesome video, can last all day without having to hover around an outlet with a charger, takes gorgeous pictures, has a vibrant and bright screen, and can survive my work environment (although it'll live in a rugged case), I'm sold.  

On 10/9/2019 at 9:06 PM, jdalphin92 said:

Then get the S10+. That is the only difference between S10+ and Note10+. S10+ has a headphone jack without a pen. Note10+ has a pen without the headphone jack. Other factors are basically the same.

OnePlus 7 pro beats Samsung. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

OnePlus 7 pro beats Samsung. 

Does it though?

7 minutes ago, jdalphin92 said:

Does it though?

Well yeah. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

21 hours ago, jdalphin92 said:

The biggest selling points on a phone these days for me are the the screen, camera, and battery life.  That's basically all flagships these days, and most service providers and big box stores have such limited demo's that narrowing down something is hard.  I dislike most android interfaces as they become clunky and bloated with their own crap (e.g. LG with their entire lineup and Google with the Pixel) and I could give a crap about any kind of gimmicky waving over the screen or even a pen.  So long as the interface is streamlined, records awesome video, can last all day without having to hover around an outlet with a charger, takes gorgeous pictures, has a vibrant and bright screen, and can survive my work environment (although it'll live in a rugged case), I'm sold.  

I'd wait for a second generation 5G device. The first generation stuff will have poor battery life because the modems will be in separate chips instead of in the SoC.

Most Android devices are just rubbish to begin with so if you don't like what you're seeing in the store, just scratch that entire brand off your shortlist. My opinion is that no Android device is worth the price tag, but I'm not going to try and convince someone not to buy one if that's what they have their heart set on one.

1 hour ago, jdalphin92 said:

Does it though?

Yes and no.  Samsung has the better camera quality and ecosystem (smartwatches, earbuds and the like).  However, OnePlus has a killer display, better raw UI performance and, importantly, a faster turnaround for OS updates.  If you just want a fast phone with a good screen, the OP7 Pro is your jam.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:01 AM, jdalphin92 said:

I dislike most android interfaces as they become clunky and bloated with their own crap (e.g. LG with their entire lineup and Google with the Pixel)

Wow! That's the first time I have heard about Pixel phones getting bloated by Google. I mean, Pixels are probably the cleanest Android phones that you can find.

And also, you are considering Samsung phones, even though you dislike clunky interfaces? Have you tried a Samsung before?

2 hours ago, SpiderGuy said:

Wow! That's the first time I have heard about Pixel phones getting bloated by Google. I mean, Pixels are probably the cleanest Android phones that you can find.

And also, you are considering Samsung phones, even though you dislike clunky interfaces? Have you tried a Samsung before?

The cleanest phone would be one without Google play store or services, or any underlying drivers for cameras, bluetooth, and such. These are the true vanilla Android open source project. However, not very usable....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, wasab said:

The cleanest phone would be one without Google play store or services, or any underlying drivers for cameras, bluetooth, and such. These are the true vanilla Android open source project. However, not very usable....

Yeah. Sure. But I meant that from a UI and installed apps perspective.

OP specifically mentioned hating the interface on Pixel devices because of being bloated while wanting to own a Samsung device which are known for their clunky UI and multiple apps for same purpose, one from Google and other from Samsung.

23 hours ago, wasab said:

better is subjective, Note 10,9, s10, 9 are miles better IMO

7 pro/ 7 has 

- less features and shitty update schedule

s8 still gets monthly patches - https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G950U1/XAA/doc.html

s9 gets monthly patches- https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G965U1/XAA/doc.html

- no wireless charging 

- buggy software

- shitty camera 

21 hours ago, SpiderGuy said:

OP specifically mentioned hating the interface on Pixel devices because of being bloated while wanting to own a Samsung device which are known for their clunky UI and multiple apps for same purpose, one from Google and other from Samsung.

Even the PIxel is not pure stock, due to google adding features and custom therms. One ui is not the same as the Touchwiz they had in 2012, it evolved into something much better( better than the pixel). OP probably like the look of One UI.