Low FPS on GTA V? - i5 8300h, GTX 1060 6GB

whitZ
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
3 hours ago, whitZ said:

If you guys can spare me a moment to give me some advice, I would highly appreciate this. I just want to have the same experience as everyone else.

Set your graphic settings to these and watch your fps soar without losing any visual fidelity...

gtacustgraphset.thumb.png.325eb2740ec526763513122a34f99470.png

Your hard drive is fine. Don't worry about it one bit. Expect random fps drops while playing GTA Online. Completely common and occurs because of other people in the lobby and everything they are doing in the game.

Hello there,

Well, I bought my laptop from a company selling on eBay 5 days ago for a STEAL price. However, I am not having the best experience with GTA V. I am averaging 30-40, maybe 50 FPS, but then after a few seconds, it just drops and goes back up again. Here is the link to my laptop (not bought from Acer directly, but this is the product page for it: https://fr-store.acer.com/aspire-7-ordinateur-portable-a717-72g-noir)

So as you can see, my specifications are:

-1920x1080 (Full HD)

- Intel Core i5 processor, 8th generation (i5-8300H)

- 8GB of DDR4 RAM

- 1TB HDD, 5400rpm (disgusting in 2019, I know)

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB memory

Here is the video I have followed to match the settings. I am using exactly what he is using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqd81Vt81CA

I have tried many things. I have set the GPU to "Performance" on the NVIDIA control panel, high performance mode on Windows, installed all Windows updates, used the Internet and YouTube for help.. but with no avail. I believe the average person plays with a GPU higher than a GTX 1060. I feel left out.

If you guys can spare me a moment to give me some advice, I would highly appreciate this. I just want to have the same experience as everyone else.

Best Regards,

Whitz

20 minutes ago, whitZ said:

Hello there,

Well, I bought my laptop from a company selling on eBay 5 days ago for a STEAL price. However, I am not having the best experience with GTA V. I am averaging 30-40, maybe 50 FPS, but then after a few seconds, it just drops and goes back up again. Here is the link to my laptop (not bought from Acer directly, but this is the product page for it: https://fr-store.acer.com/aspire-7-ordinateur-portable-a717-72g-noir)

So as you can see, my specifications are:

-1920x1080 (Full HD)

- Intel Core i5 processor, 8th generation (i5-8300H)

- 8GB of DDR4 RAM

- 1TB HDD, 5400rpm (disgusting in 2019, I know)

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB memory

Here is the video I have followed to match the settings. I am using exactly what he is using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqd81Vt81CA

I have tried many things. I have set the GPU to "Performance" on the NVIDIA control panel, high performance mode on Windows, installed all Windows updates, used the Internet and YouTube for help.. but with no avail. I believe the average person plays with a GPU higher than a GTX 1060. I feel left out.

Best Regards,

Whitz

Drops back to 30-40 FPS?

9 minutes ago, Likwid said:

HDD too slow so It lags because can't load textures might be it.

Run userbenchmark tool and you will see https://www.userbenchmark.com/

What?!,What is this nonsense,

The GPU loads the textures not the HDD.

And userbenchmark is garbage.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Drops back to 30-40 FPS?

And userbenchmark is garbage.

That's exactly what I was thinking, my HDD is kinda irrelevant but not too sure. It drops very low, like 20, 10, 5 for a couple seconds then happens again after 1 minute or so... you know, the real freeze. But in general, its just low FPS

1 minute ago, whitZ said:

That's exactly what I was thinking, my HDD is kinda irrelevant but not too sure. It drops very low, like 20, 10, 5 for a couple seconds then happens again after 1 minute or so... you know, the real freeze. But in general, its just low FPS

How are the temperatures?,Do you close every program that is open before gaming?

We can check if the GPU and the CPU are OK with software.

Prime95 for CPU and GPUPI 3.3.3 for GPU

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

26 minutes ago, Likwid said:

HDD too slow so It lags because can't load textures might be it.

Run userbenchmark tool and you will see https://www.userbenchmark.com/

HDD does affect performance on loading in stuff, because it has to spin to find all the stuff. It would lead to stutters and holds, but not FPS.

9 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I remember having HDD-related issues with a highly modded GTA:SA.  On HDD it was a mess of missing objects, low-res textures etc, on SSD it ran just fine.  If the object's data can't be read from the storage device fast enough, the GPU can't render it.

That being said, I don't think that's the problem here. 

@whitZ : open the task manager before launching the game and go to the "Performance" tab.  You'll see a histogram of the CPU usage there.  
Keep the task manager open and launch the game.  Play a bit, and when you notice an FPS drop quickly alt-tab and look at the histogram.  I'm suspecting that you're hitting 100% CPU usage most of the time, which would be a textbook case of a bottleneck.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I remember having HDD-related issues with a highly modded GTA:SA.  On HDD it was a mess of missing objects, low-res textures etc, on SSD it ran just fine.  If the object's data can't be read from the storage device fast enough, the GPU can't render it.

That being said, I don't think that's the problem here. 

@whitZ : open the task manager before launching the game and go to the "Performance" tab.  You'll see a histogram of the CPU usage there.  
Keep the task manager open and launch the game.  Play a bit, and when you notice an FPS drop quickly alt-tab and look at the histogram.  I'm suspecting that you're hitting 100% CPU usage most of the time, which would be a textbook case of a bottleneck.

I think that is probably the case and also I checked once, the disk usage was 100%

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

It's probably the mod loading the textures from the HDD during gameplay instead of loading it when the game itself loads or during the loading screen (The loading screen is for loading the game world from storage to RAM and VRAM which are significantly faster than a SSD or a HDD).

1 minute ago, whitZ said:

I think that is probably the case and also I checked once, the disk usage was 100%

Disk usage of 100% is not suppose to happen during gaming,I have a HDD too and i game on it no problems.

You can see what processes use the HDD in: Task Manager>Performance>Resource Monitor>Disk Tab

under Total (B/Sec)

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Disk usage of 100% is not suppose to happen during gaming,I have a HDD too and i game on it no problems.

You can see what processes use the HDD in: Task Manager>Performance>Resource Monitor>Disk Tab

under Total (B/Sec)

So what am I supposed to do now to fix the FPS/gameplay problem?

3 minutes ago, whitZ said:

So what am I supposed to do now to fix the FPS/gameplay problem?

You close the programs use the HDD the most.

I don't have ANYTHING open, other than:

1. GTA V

2. Fraps (To measure the FPS)

3. Rockstar Launcher

Also what is the HDD usage right now?

I'm at work, so I don't have my laptop with me.

2 minutes ago, whitZ said:

I don't have ANYTHING open, other than:

1. GTA V

2. Fraps (To measure the FPS)

3. Rockstar Launcher

There are background processes you can't normally see,you can see them in Task Manager and Resource Manager.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

There are background processes you can't normally see,you can see them in Task Manager and Resource Manager.

Ah, ok.. this is complex as I thought

Just now, whitZ said:

Ah, ok.. this is complex as I thought

We are here to help

We are here to help

Thank you. So now, you would like to see photos of Task Manager and Resource Manager?

Just now, whitZ said:

Thank you. So now, you would like to see photos of Task Manager and Resource Manager?

Yep

Yep

Alright, thank you. I will be home in another 5-6 hours, so I will send you photos then. Are you in the Discord group?

Just now, whitZ said:

Alright, thank you. I will be home in another 5-6 hours, so I will send you photos then. Are you on the Discord?

No discord,I am on the forums,and it's Resource Monitor not "Resource Manager",sorry for the mistake :D

Just now, Vishera said:

No discord,I am on the forums,and it's Resource Monitor not "Resource Manager",sorry for the mistake :D

Ah alright, I will post photos of both Task Manager and Resource Monitor of 10 minutes into the game, when I get home in 5-6 hours.

One culprit for high HDD usage is "SuperFetch" although its named something else now, I cannot remember what. Disable that!

3 hours ago, whitZ said:

Set your graphic settings to these and watch your fps soar without losing any visual fidelity...

gtacustgraphset.thumb.png.325eb2740ec526763513122a34f99470.png

Your hard drive is fine. Don't worry about it one bit. Expect random fps drops while playing GTA Online. Completely common and occurs because of other people in the lobby and everything they are doing in the game.