PC Upgrade (maybe Downgrade)

Rocksta
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
19 minutes ago, Rocksta said:

So Intel really doesnt have any edge anymore?

Thats sad.

If you compare Intel vs AMD at the same pricepoint, Intel has a very very slight edge in single-threaded performance in the mainstream desktop space due to much higher clockspeeds, but this is lost as you move up in core count since Intel has to run their all core speeds lower than AMD due to poorer efficiency.  In multi-threaded, AMD is winning massively across the board.  Also keep in mind that most comparisons (aka anything above 9900k on the Intel side) ends up comparing Intel's HEDT to AMD's mainstream because that's how badly Intel is failing to keep up.  If you look at AMD's high end desktop (threadripper), it's completely in another league.

A quick overview of the market:

• Same price: 3900x vs 9900k
    • 9900k leads 5% in single-threaded
    • 3900x leads over 40% in multi-threaded
  • Same performance: 3900x vs 9920x
    • 3900x: $500
    • 9920x: $1200

Hy Guys

Ive a small question..

ATM ive pretty powerfull rig which i want to updgrade or even downgrade.

Current components:

i9-7980xe

Prime Deluxe X299 

32GB of DDR4 4000MHZ Ram

and since some months only one GTX 1080Ti

Well now im pretty sure i want to upgrade to two 2080tis and i also want to do a motherboard upgrade.

Now my question is should i keep to CPU or should i buy an i9-9900k.

I mostly use my pc for programming, Gaming and video Edition with premiere pro.

Now an other point is that i want to make an server for me( own website hosting for test websites and so on).

So for the server i could use my rig which ive now.

What do you guys think. 

Should i keep my rig and just upgrade motherboard and gpus or should i make a totally new one?

Thanks and Greetings

Joel

Edit: For those which say i should look into ryzen, I like to overclock my cpus. Ive heard that ryzen had some problem overclocking so please just keep that in mind.

Given that you listed other things aside from gaming, the 3900x would be a better choice than the 9900k, and if you're ok with the budget and wait, the 3950x should be coming soon that's even faster.  Rendering and compiling will both be much faster, and you'll have a more modern platform you can, for example, use PCIe 4.0 drives on for greater performance while video editing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thats sad.

But ok i can still wait a moment and budget isnt very important.

Thanks for your info :)

Edit:

@Ryan_Vickers "If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom" -> Thank you for that XD. Was searching for a dark mode

Edited by Rocksta

19 minutes ago, Rocksta said:

Thats sad.

If you compare Intel vs AMD at the same pricepoint, Intel has a very very slight edge in single-threaded performance in the mainstream desktop space due to much higher clockspeeds, but this is lost as you move up in core count since Intel has to run their all core speeds lower than AMD due to poorer efficiency.  In multi-threaded, AMD is winning massively across the board.  Also keep in mind that most comparisons (aka anything above 9900k on the Intel side) ends up comparing Intel's HEDT to AMD's mainstream because that's how badly Intel is failing to keep up.  If you look at AMD's high end desktop (threadripper), it's completely in another league.

A quick overview of the market:

• Same price: 3900x vs 9900k
    • 9900k leads 5% in single-threaded
    • 3900x leads over 40% in multi-threaded
  • Same performance: 3900x vs 9920x
    • 3900x: $500
    • 9920x: $1200

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Uff ok.

Yea i think that concludes. I will make a sick AMD build with NVIDIA GPUs.

Thanks for that short and informative post. :)