could you recommend good quality headphones for me?

Kun Akos

Hello guys :)

i have watched Linus's videos on youtube for a while now and i saw his coverage of headphones and im interested in trying out what the "top but value" ones sound like 

i usually just listen to music and sound from earbuds (the ones that just come with samsung phones)

the best quality soundmaking device i ever had and still have is the hyperx cloud 2 so i would like something thats better than that xP

i have an asus maximus viii hero mobo it can handle 32-600 ohm (if i remember correctly)

i will not buy separate "amp" or "dec" things 

i dont need loud ones the hyperx is way overkill on the loudness (i always just keep it on low volume)

i WILL take it on the go with me thats 100%

it doesnt have to sound as good from a phone as from a pc im fine with that

and I LIVE NEAR AND AIRPORT so ambient noise is something i must consider

i have about 170 000 huf that is almost 600$

that can get me a:

sennheiser 650 -660s (and maybe even a 700 but thats really uncomfortable price) 

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO

sony wh1000xm3

bose noisecanceling 700

the sony and the hd650 are REALLY CHEAP compared to the others

i dont know if "active noisecancelling" or "open back" is something i would like (even thou i know what they mean)

i would prefer if it sounds best with pc but can work with a phone

and not made for a phone and i prefer wired to wireless (i dont like changing batteries)

Thank you for reading my post :)

and extra thank you if you could provide a helpfull insight ;)

I recently bought bose qc25 for myself for 140EUR. Good sound and active noise cancellation and removable AAA-type battery (So i carry one (ir more) supplementary rechargeable AAA-battery with me, even during long-travesl there is no needs to recharge theme :P )

For my ears, they are comfortable and have a nice fit.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

thank you for your information :)

sadly the availability of the qc25 is really scarse here :(

i can only find the apple version (i have only android) and even that is not from a reputable shop :/

I bought apple version, at least with redmi 3 pro miui android version it work well, including sound buttons, but I cannot confirm if it is true for every android phone.

The difference is in detachable cable's, as i understood.

Yes, first qc25 i bought from ebay was a fake one (can be verified trough bose website), I found legit version on amazon.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

how about the qc35 or the noisecancelling 700 also from boise?

thoes are from reputable sellers and surely work with all android

Firstly i wished to go for qc35, but finally opted for qc25 just because of removable battery.

If you want a nice open back that can work with your phone as well as your PC the 660 might be up your ally or the Fidelio x2

i dont mind not removable battery but the sony wh1000xm3 is cheaper here and based on reviews doesnt seem to be any worse than bose ;)

sadly neither the sennheiser hd 660 nor the philips fidelio x2-s are available here :(

but the sennheiser hd 660s is

is there any consedarable difference between the s and the non s?

How about the dt 1990 pro? 

For non professional usage 

And with a maximus viii hero

No separate amp or dec

I really like this one but im not too sure if i can just "run" them with no extra equipment

Strongly influenced by my own sonic preferences and based ONLY on sound:

DT1990 (Dekoni Pads)=HD650=HD600=HD660S>DT1990>>>Bose 700=WH-1000XM3>>HyperX Cloud

If prices work out with the HD650 and XM3 being much cheaper, those are the two I'd consider. The HD650 definitely sounds much better, but the XM3 has good noise cancelling and portability, both of which sound like important requirements for you.

pads influence how a headphone sounds? o.O

i never thought of that

so the hd650 sounds better (or at least very comparable) to the dt1990 for far cheaper?

i would like to try open back now :D

the xm3 might just be too similar to the hyperx cloud :/

the cloud already closes out all the sound i want and a give pretty amazing sound quality (imo) but my honor 10 just refuses to drive them... (its not sensing any device connecting while working with every other audio option and the cloud working perfectly with my pc and tablet)

is the hd 650 fairly portable in your experience?

i mean how about listening to them on a train (a very loud train)

and now im very interested do you know what is the difference between the sennheiser hd 660 s and the non s?

thank you for all your information 

Edit:

something i think i forgot to mention is that my taste in music is a bit...strange

i only like to listen to vocals

mostly musical tracks (from movies or broadway like i love the songs in Wicked)

and i dont listen to anything where there are no singers and i dont listen to rap

42 minutes ago, Kun Akos said:

pads influence how a headphone sounds? o.O

i never thought of that

so the hd650 sounds better (or at least very comparable) to the dt1990 for far cheaper?

Both stock pads on the DT1990 produce terrible ringing resonances. Overall the DT1990 is a very good performer aside from that poor treble performance, which the pad change fixes the worst of. With a bit of additional EQ'ing down in the treble on top of that, it's even better. The bass performance overall is exceptional for an open back dynamic driver headphone.

The HD650 is different – it's somewhat lacking in bass and soundstage but exemplary in most other aspects. At reasonable listening levels, EQ fixes much of the first issue without too much distortion. The two headphones sound very different, and I personally prefer the HD650. Others may disagree.

If you get a chance, definitely try both of them out before deciding. Neither is strictly better than the other; each has different things that it excels at. I feel that aside from the issues above, the HD650 still manages to edge out the DT1990 more of the technicalities, while EQ can take care of tuning if needed – but again, that's just my opinion.

57 minutes ago, Kun Akos said:

is the hd 650 fairly portable in your experience?

i mean how about listening to them on a train (a very loud train)

No, not at all. They are bulky, do not fold, are not made to be worn around the neck at all, have a long heavy cable, and block almost no ambient sound. Listening to any open-back in a loud environment tends to be a bad idea; it's very easy to try raising the volume to dangerously high levels to drown out the noise.

The WH-1000XM3 isn't bad-sounding. If you require portable use, it's a top option. I use the HD650 at home and the 1000XM3 on the go; each has its own role.

1 hour ago, Kun Akos said:

and now im very interested do you know what is the difference between the sennheiser hd 660 s and the non s?

The 660S is essentially an HD700 driver tuned to sound similar to the HD650. Slightly lower distortion and better bass performance, but slightly worse damping. Personally I feel that the damping is more audible than the other differences after EQ'ing the bass levels back to normal, so I slightly prefer the 650. Again, very much a personal preference thing.

Again, I think that given the pricing the HD650 and 1000XM3 are by far the best options. It depends on which set of requirements (pure sound performance vs. convenience) is more important for you, and there's no right answer.

3 hours ago, Nimrodor said:

Both stock pads on the DT1990 produce terrible ringing resonances. Overall the DT1990 is a very good performer aside from that poor treble performance, which the pad change fixes the worst of. With a bit of additional EQ'ing down in the treble on top of that, it's even better. The bass performance overall is exceptional for an open back dynamic driver headphone.

The HD650 is different – it's somewhat lacking in bass and soundstage but exemplary in most other aspects. At reasonable listening levels, EQ fixes much of the first issue without too much distortion. The two headphones sound very different, and I personally prefer the HD650. Others may disagree.

If you get a chance, definitely try both of them out before deciding. Neither is strictly better than the other; each has different things that it excels at. I feel that aside from the issues above, the HD650 still manages to edge out the DT1990 more of the technicalities, while EQ can take care of tuning if needed – but again, that's just my opinion.

No, not at all. They are bulky, do not fold, are not made to be worn around the neck at all, have a long heavy cable, and block almost no ambient sound. Listening to any open-back in a loud environment tends to be a bad idea; it's very easy to try raising the volume to dangerously high levels to drown out the noise.

The WH-1000XM3 isn't bad-sounding. If you require portable use, it's a top option. I use the HD650 at home and the 1000XM3 on the go; each has its own role.

The 660S is essentially an HD700 driver tuned to sound similar to the HD650. Slightly lower distortion and better bass performance, but slightly worse damping. Personally I feel that the damping is more audible than the other differences after EQ'ing the bass levels back to normal, so I slightly prefer the 650. Again, very much a personal preference thing.

Again, I think that given the pricing the HD650 and 1000XM3 are by far the best options. It depends on which set of requirements (pure sound performance vs. convenience) is more important for you, and there's no right answer.

I do think the 669 sounds better then the 650 or the 700s in a overall enjoyment level. But out of the stuff mentioned so far I'm partial to the 1990

Hmmm... 

Thank you very much

Just one last question:

Does my specific taste in music and sounds make a difference? 

That i mostly like listening to singing

So vocals and speaking (for story heavy games) would be my main focus

And im not a fan of much of the instruments except piano

I like drum sounds and electric guitar the least so i will not be listening to too much of that

3 hours ago, Kun Akos said:

Hmmm... 

Thank you very much

Just one last question:

That i mostly like listening to singing

So vocals and speaking (for story heavy games) would be my main focus

And im not a fan of much of the instruments except piano

I like drum sounds and electric guitar the least so i will not be listening to too much of that

Something that is midcentric would be up you alley  like a Sennheiser HD  660 should be perfect imo

Are you willing to spend the $600 total on multiple items? Because if you spend $600 on one headphone, whether it be a closed or open back, you will most likely be fucked in the end if the product gets damaged or broken. Do you have an idea of where you want to buy the headphone from? In store, or online? 

4 hours ago, Kun Akos said:

The HD650 is fairly well-regarded as having one of the best, if not the best, timbres of any headphone at any price. If your listening experience is going to be heavily mid-centric, that would make it a strong choice. The 660S is comparable (slightly better or worse depending on the person), but not worth paying significantly more for.

The sennheiser hd650 (the one that seems to be the best option right now) 

Costs less than 185 000 huf or 600$ more like 109 000 huf or 350$ so i can spend on something else too if thats needed for it

But i dont know what do you mean by this i think i can drive them fairly easily with an asus maximus viii hero

Yes i already picked the shop

Maybe... 

There is warranty on it but yeah that usually involves a long processing period

I guess i will try to not break them xP

3 hours ago, Kun Akos said:

The sennheiser hd650 (the one that seems to be the best option right now) 

Costs less than 185 000 huf or 600$ more like 109 000 huf or 350$ so i can spend on something else too thats needed for it

But i dont know what do you mean by this i think i can drive them fairly easily with an asus maximus viii hero

Yes i already picked the shop

Maybe there is warranty on it but yeah that usually involves a long processing period

I guess i will try to not break them xP

If you are taking it on the go I would not reccomend an open back.

Is there a closed back that sounds as good? 

I dont expect it to be ideal and i dont mean im buying it for the "on the go" experience

Rather that i will take it on long travels

On 10/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, Kun Akos said:

Hello guys :)

i have watched Linus's videos on youtube for a while now and i saw his coverage of headphones and im interested in trying out what the "top but value" ones sound like 

i usually just listen to music and sound from earbuds (the ones that just come with samsung phones)

the best quality soundmaking device i ever had and still have is the hyperx cloud 2 so i would like something thats better than that xP

i have an asus maximus viii hero mobo it can handle 32-600 ohm (if i remember correctly)

i will not buy separate "amp" or "dec" things 

i dont need loud ones the hyperx is way overkill on the loudness (i always just keep it on low volume)

i WILL take it on the go with me thats 100%

it doesnt have to sound as good from a phone as from a pc im fine with that

and I LIVE NEAR AND AIRPORT so ambient noise is something i must consider

i have about 170 000 huf that is almost 600$

that can get me a:

sennheiser 650 -660s (and maybe even a 700 but thats really uncomfortable price) 

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO

sony wh1000xm3

bose noisecanceling 700

the sony and the hd650 are REALLY CHEAP compared to the others

i dont know if "active noisecancelling" or "open back" is something i would like (even thou i know what they mean)

i would prefer if it sounds best with pc but can work with a phone

and not made for a phone and i prefer wired to wireless (i dont like changing batteries)

Thank you for reading my post :)

and extra thank you if you could provide a helpfull insight ;)

If you leave near an airport and im hoping  that you live alone, I would  recommend ANC gaming  headphones, Check Beyerdynamics website and click on the outlet page, Im sure you can get something. 

(⌐■_■) 

sadly massdrop is not available here :(

why are you hoping that i live alone? xD

do you mean the lagoon anc?

this seems very similar to the sony xm3 but 30% more expensive is it better sounding?

like the dt 1990?

@Kun Akos

13 hours ago, Kun Akos said:

sadly massdrop is not available here

they should be avaible in the EU. Drop.com ships worldwide. Hungary is selectable in the adress section.

drop.com has an EU-Audiophile-collection https://drop.com/all-communities/drops/european-audiophile-collection , which means some selected products e.g. Sennheiser HD6XX and Hifiman HE4XX are already in stock in european warehouses.

So unlike most of the stuff from drop.com they dont ship from the US and you wont have to pay custom fees or VAT. They charge a little extra but I checked and its pretty much equal to ordering it from the US+shipping+fees.

The HE4XX's are on discount for 130$ from the US and 160$ from their european warehouse, plus shipping https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones?mode=guest_open

I live in the EU aswell and ordered from drop.com (US) and one of my orders just got customs clearing yesterday.

So maybe check again before you might miss out, as I dont see any valid reason for them to not ship to a european country.

doesnt seem like i can pay on arrival thou...

sorry nothing personal if you like them and you ordered from them its good for you

but i dont trust them

so i dont give money untill i see the product in front of me the shops here offer pay on arrival or pickup in their shop and i much prefer that

1 hour ago, Kun Akos said:

doesnt seem like i can pay on arrival thou...

sorry nothing personal if you like them and you ordered from them its good for you

but i dont trust them

so i dont give money untill i see the product in front of me the shops here offer pay on arrival or pickup in their shop and i much prefer that

You can pay through PayPal so if it doesn't arrive PayPal will give your money back. And I have bought from dropany times and I have gotten refunded no problem when needed when I contacted them