Blizzard bans pro hearthstone player for supporting Hong Kong protests

spartaman64
13 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

There is no legitimate defense of this action that blizzard has taken. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for this.

I think the arguments I have presented are pretty legitimate.

My stance is that I don't believe Blizzard has picked a side on this, other than the side that "you can't use a hearthstone tournament to spread your political agendas".

I think it's pretty reasonable to have rules which puts the focus on the card game tournament rather than political messages.

Likewise, if I call in to some live radio quiz show and starts randomly talking about how bad Palestine is, or how much horrible things Israel has done, I fully expect to be cut off and my call disconnected. Does that mean the radio station has "picked a side" too when they cut me off? No of course not. It just means they felt like it was irrelevant to the program and lowered the quality, so they removed it.

19 minutes ago, LeSheen said:

This was met with a huge amount of backlash forcing them to close the "marketplace" and rework how drops work...

The always online became a necessary evil with the introduction of season, leader-boards and rewards. I would also prefer the option to play offline... but this would make most of these features impossible. And lets be honest not many people play diablo for the story. They (me included) play with friends or for the leaderboards.

It was met with backlash, sure, but it took them years to get rid of the auction house. Everyone who "Boycott" the game, bought it anyway. I was probably one of the only people to actually not buy it until after the auction house closed. I feel bad it wasn't sooner, because the only other person I know who refused to buy it because of it was the late Totalbiscuit.

People can be vocal about their displeasure with something, but still put up with it because their love of the game is greater than their moral compass or self control. Sure, people who complain that Blizzard banned this player are vocal, but most of the people complaining don't play a Blizzard product in the first place, and those who do probably will still play them. 

3 minutes ago, SaviorSix said:

It was met with backlash, sure, but it took them years to get rid of the auction house. Everyone who "Boycott" the game, bought it anyway. I was probably one of the only people to actually not buy it until after the auction house closed. I feel bad it wasn't sooner, because the only other person I know who refused to buy it because of it was the late Totalbiscuit.

People can be vocal about their displeasure with something, but still put up with it because their love of the game is greater than their moral compass or self control. Sure, people who complain that Blizzard banned this player are vocal, but most of the people complaining don't play a Blizzard product in the first place, and those who do probably will still play them. 

That's where you are assuming (wrong). I remember I bought it years later for 5 euro on a holiday. I did buy the dlc, because in my opinion blizzard was delivering after all these years the game that we initially wanted. I waited just as long for the same reason as you.

Whilst I agree @OP's KKK comparison was a little hamfisted.

Let's take this issue out of 2019 and put it into a little quasi-historical context.

The year is 1939, and Blizzard (a US Company) has a tabletop card game called Hearthstone which many people from around the world play and compete for. During one competition, a Polish player makes a statement about the Nazi oppression of his homeland and voices anti-Nazi sentiment and a wish for his homeland to be free from them.

Blizzard subsequently bans the Polish player and withholds his winnings.

All of you who say that Blizzard has the right to ban (which I agree they do), do you also consider it "right"?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

5 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Whilst I agree @OP's KKK comparison was a little hamfisted.

Let's take this issue out of 2019 and put it into a little quasi-historical context.

The year is 1943, and Blizzard (a US Company) has a tabletop card game called Hearthstone which many people from around the world play and compete for. During one competition, a Polish player makes a statement about the Nazi oppression of his homeland and voices anti-Nazi sentiment and a wish for his homeland to be free from them.

Blizzard subsequently bans the Polish player and withholds his winnings.

All of you who say that Blizzard has the right to ban (which I agree they do), do you also consider it "right"?

Some more info from the BBC here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49985747

35 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think the arguments I have presented are pretty legitimate.

My stance is that I don't believe Blizzard has picked a side on this, other than the side that "you can't use a hearthstone tournament to spread your political agendas".

I think it's pretty reasonable to have rules which puts the focus on the card game tournament rather than political messages.

Likewise, if I call in to some live radio quiz show and starts randomly talking about how bad Palestine is, or how much horrible things Israel has done, I fully expect to be cut off and my call disconnected. Does that mean the radio station has "picked a side" too when they cut me off? No of course not. It just means they felt like it was irrelevant to the program and lowered the quality, so they removed it.

No matter how you bring it, It doesn't sound right!! 

@Lathlaer

After BS I had with Overwatch I was already on negative side and now it's pretty much unlikely I'll ever buy anything from Blizzard ever again. And I see bunch of people going as far as deleting their accounts. I'm not gonna do that coz I paid for existing games, but I sure as hell won't be buying any.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

After BS I had with Overwatch I was already on negative side and now it's pretty much unlikely I'll ever buy anything from Blizzard ever again. And I see bunch of people going as far as deleting their accounts. I'm not gonna do that coz I paid for existing games, but I sure as hell won't be buying any.

And I applaud you for that, for voting with your wallet but again - in Blizzards minds, they will take a somewhat mild hit from the West customers vs. a sure 100% ban from the East esp. since East is possibly giving them more revenue. The Chinese party doesn't play around whereas we, in the west, like to cultivate the freedom of speech and therefore will not ban a company just because someone said something.

If I recall correctly, China's market for games and movies is so big that it can basically make or break a production. The Warcraft movie is a good example, the Chinese premiere saved it from being a huge flop. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

*** Thread cleaned ***

This can continue, if you can come up with new arguments and keep it on topic. Going around with same arguments leads nowhere.

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Since this thread isn't locked yet and it is by your own admission "all political", does that mean political discussion is now allowed on the forum?

You know very well that moderating and drawing line in these isn't easy. The Adobe thread is more about tech than this. Mainly as there's actually tech issue behind it. This is more general with OP having very pushy opinion about it.

It can stay open, for now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

May I remind you that Blizzard did nothing to an American player when he held up a sign that said "support HK, boycott blizzard". They cut the stream but did nothing else. If blizzard didn't take sides why didn't they ban him as well? Also, even if he was in violation, a year or 6 months is overkill, and they could have just pulled him aside gave him a warning instead of dropping the ban hammer so quickly.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

1 hour ago, Celli said:

May I remind you that Blizzard did nothing to an American player when he held up a sign that said "support HK, boycott blizzard". They cut the stream but did nothing else. If blizzard didn't take sides why didn't they ban him as well? Also, even if he was in violation, a year or 6 months is overkill, and they could have just pulled him aside gave him a warning instead of dropping the ban hammer so quickly.

Because China clearly has no influence on Blizzard.

Also, 6 month suspensions for the shoutcasters that had the terrible luck of being there.

I love the irony of Blizzard bending the knee to a communist government in order for them to continue making capitalist gains.

I'm very much looking forward to the inevitable sh*t storm that will happen at Blizzcon. We thought last year was bad with that terrible 'Diablo like' game, that shall not be named, being announced, this year is likely to be even worse with all this crap goign on.

Blizz needs to change it names and logo. Its really not Blizzard anymore ...duh obviously, its just dragging the name and legacy through the mud.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 10/12/2019 at 8:03 AM, spartaman64 said:

can my post be moved back to tech news now that its been covered on the wan show :P @SansVarnic

No. And lock might be coming soon. Depends how people here decide to act.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Kinda ironic that blizzard care about people's feelings now, and they been feeding us bullshit content since The lich king even Cata i would say. And year after year they see us not happy with the outcome, yet they keep feeding us with these fucking cosmetics in their shop n shit, i don't want a fucking flapping mini bird following me around during war and I clearly don't wanna run around with LGBT colored mounts.

Those that take the blizzard side in this must love the state of modern corporation political disinformation campaigns, in their decision they have proven themselves to be against those people that have risen to challenge the current regime since companies like this only serve to make profits (not to mention that China only constitutes 12% of their profits). Large companies such as blizzard are always willing to bend the rules to the obedient, but as soon as someone steps into any territory that could even make a slight scratch to their profits, they are immediately silenced. I'm just glad blizzard has decided to oust themselves in this, and with that I can almost guarantee that their profits will be down a significant margin just from seeing the well deserved backlash that they are receiving.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

I heard they reversed some of the punishment but there’s shouldn’t have been any in the first place.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What I do know however, is that I do not want eSport livestreams to be targeted by a bunch of political campaigns. I say ban anyone who tries to push any political message during tournaments. No matter if it's pro China, pro HK, pro Israel, pro Palestine, pro feminism, whatever.

I kind of think the same that people shouldn't mix politics with gaming, especially in tournements. However, on occasions I believe a statement/message can be sent on that platform as long as it isn't something extreme. But banning for this kind of message seems rather excessive. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Are we doing this again? Are we doing the whole thing where people don't understand the difference between "free speech" and the ability to say anything you want anywhere you want?

At the Hearthstone grand tournament you are not entitled to free speech.

If you make a political statement there and then just go "I am allowed to say this", then you will be removed and banned. You have no rights. Because Blizzard is trying to keep their platform on-topic. Speaking of things Blizzard wants to keep away form their tournaments, politics. If a player, even if they start out discussing the game, if your speech devolves into political mudslinging, they remove you.

Why? Because as a business, Blizzard is about games. If people want to discuss Donald Trump or Hilary Clinton, or whatever, there are a thousand other places, probably tens of thousands of places online where they can go do that.

Quote from the latest WAN show but I replaced "Forum" with "Blizzard" or similar.

I agree with Linus. If you want to discuss politics there are a thousand of places to do so.

Blizzard are doing the right thing when they decided to ban politics (not just anti-China politics) at their tournaments. I am fairly sure that if a player had started saying a bunch of anti-Taiwan things then they would have been banned too.

- Thread Locked -
While the majority of discussion has been on-topic and constructive, there have been a growing number of posts going too far off track in to political debates, and the latest few [now deleted] posts have been heading in that direction.

There have been some good points brought up in the thread from both sides and I think everyone has said what needed to be said here. I don't think there's any benefit going around in circles bringing up the same points again.

To all those who stayed on topic; you're breathtaking!

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450