What do you think Apple should do to be better and still set itself apart from competitors?

Retro_R

I've seen a lot of people saying that apple sucks and stuff like that. But I want to know how Apple should get better for a lot of people while setting itself apart from competitors (Windows, Android,etc)? Obviously if MacOS started to basically become windows then there would be no point in getting it, same with iOS. Just want your guys thoughts and opinions.

If they could not be puttin a 5400 rpm drive in their new iMac, that would be neat.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If they could not be puttin a 5400 rpm drive in their new iMac, that would be neat.

But then they'd be doing what everyone else has been doing for a long time now. That's not setting themselves apart.

/s

PORTS.

Having the single port on the MacBook Air is fine and dandy, but if I buy a PRO model MacBook that thing better come equipped with an RJ-45, USB 3.2, SDXC, Thunderbolt 3, and USB C ports.

Better Thermal solutions

Its no secret that Macs thermal throttle like its going out of style and instead resort to some impressive software trickery to keep their performance in Final Cut or Logic faster. If Apple decided to make a slightly bulkier unit that could better handle the thermals of the processors they used and applied better thermal paste, Macs would be a much better product.

Which is weird because iPhones have crazy good thermals so Apple obviously understands how to cool a product down.

Better keyboards

Just, better keyboards. I love my 2012 MacBook Pro's keyboard, but the newer models and even the stand alone keyboard are just disappointing to use.

Modularity

I don't want to be swapping CPUs out, but maybe don't solder the SoDIMMs and M.2 to the logic board with no option for replacement parts thanks to that T2 chip.

iMac as a standalone monitor

iMac's have beautiful displays, but once their internal tech becomes obsolete, you can't just use the beautiful display as a standalone monitor. Which is honestly a shame because they are such nice units.

There's probably other stuff, but my lunch break is ending.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

13 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

Its no secret that Macs thermal throttle like its going out of style and instead resort to some impressive software trickery to keep their performance in Final Cut or Logic faster. If Apple decided to make a slightly bulkier unit that could better handle the thermals of the processors they used and applied better thermal paste, Macs would be a much better product.

Higher end Macs, like the top of the line MBPs, yeah. Though with a software/firmware fix those don't throttle too hard either. They do get hot (high 90s), but they don't throttle hard even at those temps. My main issue with them is they have to run the fan at a stupid RPM to keep it there and still slightly throttle under heavy sustained load. Making them a bit thicker in order to have better fans and heatsink setups, along with returning to the good keyboards, would be an excellent choice IMO. The late 2012-2015 rMBPs were thin enough, putting more power efficient hardware in that chassis with a tweaked thermal solution would probably perform much better than the new ultra slim MBPs. It is cool to have a tiny laptop, but I've noticed the whiny fans on the 2019 MBP I have to mess with a lot more than the extra bulk of my mid-2012 Unibody. Hell even my 17" 2008 MBP isn't stupidly thick for it's screen size, as far as 17" laptops go it's the best I've ever used portability wise (also my 1920x1200 panel arrived for that boi so hell yeah upgrade time). The 12" PowerBook G4 I tinkered with for a bit was perfectly fine too. 

Basically Apple should stop obsessing over pushing their laptops to be smaller and smaller. They've kinda realized this with iPhones like the XR and now the 11 Pro Max (geez that name doesn't get any less dumb no matter how many times I say it). People are willing to run a thicker/heavier device for better battery life and more performance. Settling on a thicker MacBook body would give them room to add better thermals and keep them whisper quiet like they should be (I doubt they could add more  battery, aren't they already hitting the carry-on limit for batteries?), and room for more ports. I get pushing away from legacy connectors, but USB type A, HDMI, and magsafe were not things that needed to be dropped. 

"iMac as a standalone monitor"

LG Ultrafine displays, IIRC they use the same panels as the 4K and 5K iMacs. 

Oh and on modularity, yet again a thicker MacBook allows for that, lol. Making it easier to swap the HDDs/RAM out on iMacs would be a good idea too. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Keep doing what they are doing. I've no problem with the Mac lineup. 

It's no secret that I'm very happy with my unit, and it will serve me for many years yet to come. 

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Basically Apple should stop obsessing over pushing their laptops to be smaller and smaller.

Settling on a thicker MacBook body would give them room to add better thermals and keep them whisper quiet like they should be

Yes, They need to stop focusing on making it .1 inches thinner and make it better (better thermals, more legacy ports, etc)

Essentially, I want a 2012-2015 MBP revamp. With colors, thunderbolt, alongside built-in usb a, and maybe even touchbar.

id say they first need to catch up to the market in some places.

That the new iphones still come out with the 7 year old lightning connector and that they call an 18W charger fast charging is laughable.

once they get on the same level as usb type c by simply using usb type c we can talk about getting ahead again 

55 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

id say they first need to catch up to the market in some places.

That the new iphones still come out with the 7 year old lightning connector and that they call an 18W charger fast charging is laughable.

once they get on the same level as usb type c by simply using usb type c we can talk about getting ahead again 

USB-C would be nice, but I don't think Apple has been in as much of a rush to switch over as rivals.  Lightning was appealing precisely because it solved many of the key problems years before USB-C arrived (it's bi-directional, compact and the like).  USB-C is faster, but it's actually larger -- Apple will have to account for that in any design.

Also, I'd add that fast charging requires some caution.  Yeah, it's great that your OnePlus phone has a 30W charger that provides a full charge in an hour, but how is that affecting the battery's lifespan?  And what happens if you need another charger?  It feels like there's been a rush for ever-faster charging without thinking about the long-term effects, or about maintaining a true fast charging standard that's relevant across phones and platforms.

Apple should be getting a deal with new AMD APUs. Like Xbox and PS4, but new ones every year. 

It's simple, really. Here's a short list of stuff:

• User serviceable
  • 3rd party friendly
  • thermal design over artistic design
  • price competitively
  • use current gen parts
  • more hardware options
  • unlimited hardware support like Windows has
  • better support for games/Steam
  • remove "geniuses" from stores for actual trained technicians that don't scam you
  • replace a part instead of a whole new motherboard (as an example)
  • remove failure points from their hardware (such as weak hinges, stupid signal routing in the M/B, etc)
  • admit when they make a mistake and work to improve upon rather than bury or rehash it
  • not have a $1,000 monitor stand
  • add touchscreen option to most of their computer lineup
  • include normal ports on their computers such as USB type A, 3.5mm TRS female, RJ45, full size HDMI, etc
  • usb type C on iPhone and iPad (with full on support for connecting external devices)
  • expandable storage on iPhone and iPad
  • 3.5mm TRS female on iPhone and iPad
  • stop advertising with a pretentious and douchey attitude
  • MacOS should close a program when I click the red "X"
  • MacOs should have an option to place the minimize, cascade, and close buttons on the proper side for all windows

That's all I got for now, I'll probs add more later. I haven't used iOS or MacOS enough recently to have any more factpinions on them. 

4 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

The irony is they were not just offering, but forcing SSDs on people in laptops long before anyone else was seriously considering them, and it provided the users with a better experience as a result that they wouldn't have otherwise had the knowledge to acquire for themselves.  And yet, they are doing this.  It really is very confusing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, floofer said:

Keep doing what they are doing. I've no problem with the Mac lineup. 

It's no secret that I'm very happy with my unit, and it will serve me for many years yet to come. 

This ^^^

Wait till the tech is solid then add it. Been doing that well for the last few years.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I own a MacBook Air 2019 model, which very recently came out, and it's a great machine. It has some issues, however, such as the cooling system, which could be greatly improved. There are many things Apple could be doing better, however, they really don't need to, as people buy their stuff anyway, and they're making more and more money. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". This only applies to their sales, not the actual issues with their products :D

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

39 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

• User serviceable
  • 3rd party friendly
  • thermal design over artistic design
  • price competitively
  • use current gen parts
  • more hardware options
  • unlimited hardware support like Windows has
  • better support for games/Steam
  • remove "geniuses" from stores for actual trained technicians that don't scam you
  • replace a part instead of a whole new motherboard (as an example)
  • remove failure points from their hardware (such as weak hinges, stupid signal routing in the M/B, etc)
  • admit when they make a mistake and work to improve upon rather than bury or rehash it
  • not have a $1,000 monitor stand
  • add touchscreen option to most of their computer lineup
  • include normal ports on their computers such as USB type A, 3.5mm TRS female, RJ45, full size HDMI, etc
  • usb type C on iPhone and iPad (with full on support for connecting external devices)
  • expandable storage on iPhone and iPad
  • 3.5mm TRS female on iPhone and iPad
  • stop advertising with a pretentious and douchey attitude
  • MacOS should close a program when I click the red "X"
  • MacOs should have an option to place the minimize, cascade, and close buttons on the proper side for all windows

This is basically what I had in mind. I don't need to say anything else.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

usb type C on iPhone and iPad (with full on support for connecting external devices)

the iPad Pro has usb-c, and full support for external devices, with iPad OS. But thats the only one with it.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Stop offering laptops with 128 gigs of internal storage. Even starting at 256 gigs is dingy but Apple has always been dingy with their storage capacity, that's nothing new.  

8 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. Stop offering laptops with 128 gigs of internal storage. Even starting at 256 gigs is dingy but Apple has always been dingy with their storage capacity, that's nothing new.  

That's bundled in under

6 hours ago, TempestCatto said:
  • use current gen parts
  • more hardware options

But I obviously agree. In their mind, it helps the cost stay lower (lol like that does any good)

20% price cut would be nice.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

cooling, price(on some products), and more fricken i/o

@OpportunityTheRover has a macbook pro

dongle lyfe anyone?

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

1. Stop putting hard drives in iMacs. They usually cost 1k+, Apple can afford to put in a SSD.

2. Cooling. Please Apple.

3. "Pro" devices. Pro branding is stupid and misleading. The only Apple product that's actually "pro" is the Mac Pro. Apple, you're seriously telling me that an i7 laptop with a Radeon 555X is "pro"? Come back when you have at least a RX 570 or something. Competitors already have options with gaming grade GPUs. And don't even get me started on the iPhone 11 "pro" branding. Who the fuck uses a phone for professional work?

4. Price

5. "Genius" - Apple, can you stop overcharging us for pointless "repairs" (read: lazy part changing and no actual repairing) and actually have competent people fix your products? I know not every Genuis bar guy is like this but from the things I've read and seen and watched your tech repair teams look like a joke.

they could start with not designing things to break

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016