Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeKellow

Learning Linux

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi Guys, 

New to Linux (Majorly new here) Has any got a materiel to point me in the right direction? 

I have started learning about 'pwd' 'cd' 'mkdir' etc. 

Most YouTube videos I have come across have not been great. 

Thanks in advance

George 

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Just learn the basics and a few advanced workings 

IMO, some fun and good info can be found at phoronix and level1tech.

And doing a project based research could be very rewarding in learning linux.

The best way to learn is to just use it. Install it natively, use it for daily tasks, try to use the terminal when you can.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The best way to learn is to just use it. Install it natively, use it for daily tasks, try to use the terminal when you can.

I have a hyper-v session set up. I use Ubuntu 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I have a hyper-v session set up. I use Ubuntu 

Which version of Ubuntu?

Guides & Tutorials:

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

A Beginners Guide to PROXMOX

How to Use Rsync on Microsoft Windows for Cross-platform Automatic Data Replication

A How To Guide: Setting up SMB3.0 Multichannel on FreeNAS

How You can Reset Your Windows Login Password with Hiren's BootCD - (Depreciated)

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

GPU Pass-though w/ QEMU on Debian Linux

In the Queue:

How to Setup Drive Sharing in Windows 10

How to Format a HDD/SSD in Windows

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | MSI GTX 1080 Ti SeaHawk X | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Corsair TX650M | NZXT H210i | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Xeon E5-2675 v3 | Cooler Master Hyper 212X | 64 GB Kingston/Samsung DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PA-D8 | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 3x 3 TB WD Red + 2 TB Seagate | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.7.0

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Okay some cool things to do:

sudo apt install <package>

is how you install packages

sudo vi <filename>

is how you edit files in terminal

sudo rm <file>

Removes a file

sudo rm -rf <directory/file>

Removes folders AND files. (I hope you know not to use the forbidden command with this.)

sudo apt remove <package>

Removes a package that you installed

sudo vi ~/.bashrc

My favorite, make custom aliases (for commands) by doing

alias <aliasname>="<WhatYouWantItToDo>"

and also don't forget there is much much more but thats what I use a lot