Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Why most Free mobile games are P2W?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have noticed that most of the Mobile Games are P2W, Such as clash of clans, When I upgrade my Castle in that game I either have to wait 24 hours~80 Hours or just pay jewels, The jewels in that game are very hard to get for free, So the player has to pay actual money money for it, Also in that game, any player that has a-lot of jewels (spent like 500$ on that game) can probably upgrade his whole kingdom to the max level in less than 2 hours and attack anyone he wants and easily defeat him, So that game is really really (keeps saying really for 5 minutes) pay to win, And that game was just an example, Because 98% of mobile games do the same thing, But why are Free To Play mobile games Pay to Win unlike PC games?

Take warframe for an example, Warframe is a free to play game and in that game the player that spends cash on the game and the free to play player are not that much of a different, I mean the free to play can in some cases be better and stronger than the P2W player in Warframe...

Warframe costed so much more to develop than Clash Of Clans and the Developer of that game don't ask for so much revenue...

But clash of clans is really a low effort game and asks for so much revenue...

So why? What is this logic?

- Moved to Mobile Gaming -

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

In context of Clash of Clans gems' system, the developers know that you'd rather not wait and so they offer you the option to pay for the satisfaction of completing your stuff sooner.

As for games like Warframe, people are usually sat at their desk for hours at a time playing so spending money isn't as big as a push when players are comfortable grinding it out.

I think what pushes mobile gaming to be pay-to-win is because gaming on a phone is generally short sessions - perhaps like an hour at a time? - and so developers will offer you speed-up options to give you instant satisfaction that you completed something. I don't know anyone who is comfortable sinking 5-7 hour gaming sessions on their phone.

Mechanical Keyboards Enthusiast

Switch Reviews

KBDfans 5 Degree

67g Zealios V2 lubed with Tribosys 3204

Zeal stabilizers lubed with dielectric grease & Krtox 205g0

Brass plate

Always lube your linear switches!

its how they make money... cant run a studio to make games without cash flow.. sure ads in-game help... but they also do it with in-game purchases to help people along. 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2

Mobile game companies:

tenor.gif

It's quite simple.. On PC you have a lot more large games, but on mobile you mostly have smaller games.

On top of that, mobile games are easy to play for a couple minutes whenever.. So you can give a user the option to play for a small amount of time, oooor pay up..

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

Y O U C A N B E A D D I C T E D T O A C E R T A I N K I N D O F S A D D N E S S

Gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz (running at 2800Mhz) ||

GPU: Gigabyte Auros RX 580 4GB || 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || 

Cooling: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

PSU: Corsair RMx 750W ||

Peripherals:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Graphics tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Mouse: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Mousepad: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

Most games are P2W now. Unless only cosmetic, experience point boosts == better weps/stats earlier and unbalanced teams.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
10 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

its how they make money... cant run a studio to make games without cash flow.. sure ads in-game help... but they also do it with in-game purchases to help people along. 

Criminals make the same excuse? "Can't make money without stealing some stuff." ;)

Just because it turns out to be a very efficient way to convince people to give you their money...

4 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Games like warframe is getting a-lot of revenue, like 3x more than clash of clans

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Just because it turns out to be a very efficient way to convince people to give you their money...

As I said, Warframe is not P2W and even though they get 3x more cash that these P2W mobile games

They know how to extract money from you. They know how to play with your mind's dopamine/reward system. I was at uni when smart phones, mobile gaming, and social media became widespread. At the time everyone was talking about gamification - designing things to be addictive. Everything was going to be gamified but all that stuck was social media and games like clash of clans. Notice how these games are similar to pokie machines; same design principles.

2 hours ago, InfinityVive said:

Games like warframe is getting a-lot of revenue, like 3x more than clash of clans

Your OP/question is about mobile games.. Warframe is not a mobile game that you play on your phone or tablet so thats like comparing apples to oranges.. you could also throw in Guild Wars 2 into that same category, Elder Scrolls Online... etc etc etc... 

PSU Tier List Thread

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VI Hero | EVGA RTX 2080ti Black | Flare X 16-16-16-32 3600mhz 16gb | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

Samsung 850 evo 250gb | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 2x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asrock B450M Pro 4 | 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz | EVGA B3 450w | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2