Changing Windows 10 edition with the media creation tool booting from usb

mig_x1127

I'm going to fresh install Windows 10 in an old PC that originally had Windows 8 booting from a usb flash drive I made with the media creation tool.

The PC is currently running Win 10 home, and is activated with a "digital license" that was created when I upgraded from Windows 8, and it's linked to a Microsoft account.

What I'm wondering is if I can select to install Windows 10 Pro when I boot from the usb drive and then activate it with the Microsoft account, or if a have to install Windows 10 Home in order for it to work.

I have previously used the same method successfully to fresh install Windows 10 Pro in a PC that already had a Window 10 Pro digital license, but I don't know if I can go from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro with this method

You should be able to install pro and choose to insert key later. Or if it activates, you can remove activation and insert new key.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Download the Windows Media Creation Tool and select Windows 10, both options (Home and Pro) are included. When you boot the USB you can select the Windows 10 Pro in the options.The problem would be the license; you have a digital license for Home, so installing Pro version will not activate until you introduce a license key for Windows 10 Pro. You can't change from Windows 10 Home to Pro with the same license.