Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PiGHamM3R

Fortnite Sued: As addictive as Cocaine

It'd be great if people could actually sue for real issues. Give people the power to sue big pharma over crippling addictions to opioids...

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

13 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I really want this to go through so games like this can die the fiery death they deserve.

Battle Royales need to die, and arena shooters need to come back.

Also good to see people confusing addiction and obsession.  Cocaine is addictive because of chemical changes in the brain that things like gambling and gaming cannot do.  Similar, but not the same thing.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 3 2200g(buying a 3900x in January for it) | CPU Cooler:  Stock at the moment(have a dark rock pro 4 for that 3900x) | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi(replacing with a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor(Replacing with an LG 240 Hz monitor) | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

VashTheStampede(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

14 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I would normally agree, but many adults are currently working more than 40 hours a week and don't have much time to take care of children fully. 

That's not the fault of the video game maker.  That's the fault of the parent(s).  They chose to spawn, it's their fucking responsibility above all else to raise those spawn in the best way they can.  If that means cutting the work hours, so be it.  That's called: life.

System Specs:  Asus Rampage VI Extreme board | Intel Core i9 7900X (OC'd to 4.7GHz) | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (OC'd to 4GHz) | 2 x NVidia 2080Ti FE cards (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case ( RIP CaseLabs 😞 ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Displays: Asus PG27UQ 4K/144Hz display | 2 x LG 27UK650-W 4K displays |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Asus R6E monoblock | 2 x EK 2080Ti waterblocks | 2 x AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rads | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 21 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Gaming rig Fire Strike Extreme results

5 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

that means cutting the work hours, so be it.  That's called: life.

So being kicked out on the street is ok with you? You don’t know the financial situation. Here in the US most live pay check to pay check. So cutting the work hours is not an option. She some have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to survive. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

32 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Battle Royales need to die, and arena shooters need to come back.

Also good to see people confusing addiction and obsession.  Cocaine is addictive because of chemical changes in the brain that things like gambling and gaming cannot do.  Similar, but not the same thing.

Not a huge fan of arena shooters. I prefer battlefield 1 style.big maps, big teams, lots of action and chaos. Less predictable and more challenging in a fun way.

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

So being kicked out on the street is ok with you? You don’t know the financial situation. Here in the US most live pay check to pay check. So cutting the work hours is not an option. She some have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to survive. 

Again: that's not an issue a third party needs to solve.  No one forced the couple to have kids; they did that on their own.  That decision comes with intense consequences and responsibilities, regardless of the setting.  It is, simply: the most important decision a person (or more accurately a couple) will make in his or her life.  Trying to blame society, a game maker, a teacher, another company, etc for your inability to properly raise your child(ren) is folly.  And it proves you made the wrong decision pertaining to kids.

System Specs:  Asus Rampage VI Extreme board | Intel Core i9 7900X (OC'd to 4.7GHz) | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (OC'd to 4GHz) | 2 x NVidia 2080Ti FE cards (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case ( RIP CaseLabs 😞 ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Displays: Asus PG27UQ 4K/144Hz display | 2 x LG 27UK650-W 4K displays |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Asus R6E monoblock | 2 x EK 2080Ti waterblocks | 2 x AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rads | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 21 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Gaming rig Fire Strike Extreme results

Again this thing? These so called people are parents, they should be sued for being trash at parenting! 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

23 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not a huge fan of arena shooters. I prefer battlefield 1 style.big maps, big teams, lots of action and chaos. Less predictable and more challenging in a fun way.

I kinda grew up in the 90s, so Doom Death Matches, Quake 3, and the og Unreal Tournament were love.  I do play Quake Champions too.

| CPU:  Ryzen 3 2200g(buying a 3900x in January for it) | CPU Cooler:  Stock at the moment(have a dark rock pro 4 for that 3900x) | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi(replacing with a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor(Replacing with an LG 240 Hz monitor) | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

35 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That's not the problem.  If you're having a pet, child, or whatever that is your responsibility.  Asking the world to babysit your kid because of your life choices is shitty to do.  If you don't have the time to take care of a child then don't have a child or pay for a babysitter.  Asking a gaming company to do all the work for you is shitty.  As much as I hate Epic for pretty much giving up on the new UT, I'm not going to side with the parents here.  These adults need to learn to either take the game away, or hire someone to take it away from them aka a babysitter.  Suing a company because they can't parent is silly and childish.  The game is not like cocaine!  Cocaine causes chemical changes in the brain that causes addiction.  These dopamine changes are causing an obsession at best, and parents and others are using excuses to hide the fact that they have shitty parenting skills or no time to parent in general, hence why they should have a babysitter do it if they want to have kids.  Can't afford to be a parent?  Can't afford that babysitter?  Then don't have the kid!  That's called being an irresponsible adult/parent!  Yes, I've lived with poor parents.  My dad was in debt for most of the 90s because he had to raise 2 kids on his own.  When I went to live with my mom when I was 12 we weren't really well off either.  However, both knew how to discipline me regardless of their craptastic schedules.  They knew how to take a game away from me, how to take my electronics away from me when I was fighting in school, and so on.  These parents want everyone to do everything for them and that's just pathetic.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The game is not like cocaine!  Cocaine causes chemical changes in the brain that causes addiction.  These dopamine changes are causing an obsession at best, and parents and others are using excuses to hide the fact that they have shitty parenting skills or no time to parent in general, hence why they should have a babysitter do it if they want to have kids. 

Gambling does the same thing to your brain. If you design a game to be fun and addictive, while also encouraging spending, you are enabling addiction. It doesn't matter if there's a substance or not. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

"I'm not a bad parent that doesn't keep an eye on what my kids are doing or set rules for leisure time. It's those damn video games!!!"

its both

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Gambling does the same thing to your brain. If you design a game to be fun and addictive, while also encouraging spending, you are enabling addiction. It doesn't matter if there's a substance or not. 

Not really.  http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=9198

According to actual experts on the matter they describe gambling more as an obsession, not an addiction.  I mean you could argue the DSM; however, the DSM gets updated all the time.  In the last major update Asperger's Syndrome went from a disability to a developmental disorder.  Physical act cannot cause the same changes to the body that drugs can.  Now, that doesn't mean gambling can't be a problem; however, classifying it as the same thing is as silly as classifying high functioning autism as a disability. 

31 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I kinda grew up in the 90s, so Doom Death Matches, Quake 3, and the og Unreal Tournament were love.  I do play Quake Champions too.

I did as well but never played those very much.

Oh my god, fun things being addictive. Who would've thought! People like doing fun things! I wonder why monotone, boring chores aren't addictive, but fun games that hardly ever repeat themselves are. Hm hm...

“knowingly put on the market a very, very addictive game which was also geared toward youth.”

Company making a popular product that caters to a wide audience. Totally not like any other food, tech or fashion braned ever, that's not a matter of this lawsuit. Heh. I may disagree with a lot of Epic's BS, but I'm gonna defend them here. If anyone should be blamed it's the parents, not a game company...

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Addiction is a result of bad parenting. Teach them about moderation and variety; they'll do well in life.

(just my two cents)

Absolutely incorrect.  Moderation and variety have nothing to do with addition. Addiction is the mind/body reaction to a thing.  Obsession is more of what you're looking at in your comment.

Parenting is not the easiest thing on the planet, of just putting down rules and expecting your kids to fall in line. I mean, you CAN beat them emotionally to keep them broken and under control I guess.  But when you have schools and social media input.. it's not as easy as saying "no Fortnite for you" when all their friends play it.

You have to balance giving and taking, generosity and frugality, etc.  Like all things, parenting is a balance.

At the end of the day, kids will  come out pretty good for the most part.  The long term harm of Fortnite isn't in question here, it's the short term.  That immediate need and reaction, the dopamine is infact a thing.  Same as any other addiction, your body releasing chemicals/hormones when certain criteria are reached.  Or even the opposite, the body dumping negative chems/hormones when kids feel they're behind the curve or not as good (gotta git gud!!!!).

Been there, I've chased those rabbits for that high.  Not gaming, but sex and cars and guns.  I understand the feelings that are driving these kids to spend non-stop time doing a thing.  Chasing that feeling.

It's hard, because as a parent I dealt with this stuff.  Finding burner phones because social media was addicting, video game time, clothing trends, keeping up with the Jones', etc.

Like everything in life, it's not black and white.  Part parenting, part society, part human nature.

Edit:  btw, if you AREN"T including psychologists in your game creation (for these types of games) you're an idiot. Not doing everything you can to make a game successful, including finding out what makes people want to keep playing it... dumb.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

So basically they're suing a company for making a game that kids play and their parents suck at parenting?

Why the fuck can't you do this with creepy youtube kids channels?!?!??!?!?!?!

Used -700% storage

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

So basically they're suing a company for making a game that kids play and their parents suck at parenting?

Why the fuck can't you do this with creepy youtube kids channels?!?!??!?!?!?!

Pretty much.  They're claiming that misguided obsessions are addictions intentionally caused by Epic.  In reality this is caused by a poor habitat and/or poor choices.  Parents like making excuses for their piss poor parenting.  I say we take the parents away since that's clearly the cause of the problem.

I've been saying this about social media in general for the last 7-8yrs. There is now a direct correlation to the use of social media, addiction and the detriment to mental health.

Game companies have simply taken that and applied it to their product, and surprise, surprise (not really) we see a massive increase in mental health issues and addiction.

It's why I deleted my social media account 7yrs ago, and although I do have a twitter account... it's used solely for the purpose of calling out companies shady practices when they ignore and treat customers like crap... and by customers, I mean me. I've called out 4 companies using it after having complaints ignored and gotten 4 results... Amazing how quickly the act when you start tagging them with #fraud #incompetent #useless #scammers and so forth.  :)

I had a G+ account... which to this day is still the only (former) social media platform that struck the right balance (until they fucked with the format and ruined it, then shut it down because people left because they fucked with the format).

So to sum up

social media sucks due to it's use of psychological manipulation to get people addicted and no one does anything about it... games companies adopt the exact same practices and once it starts costing people money... now they want something done.

Just another example of 'games are evil'  no they're not... the companies employing devious, insipid, unethical, immoral and dangerous business practices are the true evil.

17 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

right, ok

Steam/Valve literally have a Psychologist on staff to work out their sales schemes. Made them a ton of cash... not sure if real Psychologist or con man with purchased degree from Ebay. Either way, it worked.

I remember when I was young playing nothing but my N64 and if my mother thought I was playing too much she would walk to my room unplug the thing and that would be that. I would be forced to go outside with friends. Why has this changed...I am not a parent so I do not understand how parents when I was little had complete control over this but now they feel powerless? I am sure like myself alot of us complained about losing video games if they were taken away but eventually we got over it. What is it about today that makes this different? It seems like graphics are better but they are still just video games. they are not a necessary right, they are a privilege and kids should know this?

23 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

I remember when I was young playing nothing but my N64 and if my mother thought I was playing too much she would walk to my room unplug the thing and that would be that. I would be forced to go outside with friends. Why has this changed...I am not a parent so I do not understand how parents when I was little had complete control over this but now they feel powerless? I am sure like myself alot of us complained about losing video games if they were taken away but eventually we got over it. What is it about today that makes this different? It seems like graphics are better but they are still just video games. they are not a necessary right, they are a privilege and kids should know this?

Honestly, shitty parenting+other reasons, and other groups getting involved is nothing new.  Remember how heavy metal and gaming were the cause of every mass shooting, suicide, devil worshiping, and so on?  Not because of mental illness or any other actual issue.  In this scenario the cause is bad parenting.  What causes misguided obsessions is, as I said before, the habitat and/or poor choices.  The poor choices are the way these parents are approaching parenting, and these parents are causing a poor environment for their child.  Do you really blame the kid?  Most of the time these parents shove a screen in front of their kids to babysit them.  Rather than being a responsible parent who takes the damn thing away they make excuses and blame everyone else.

Rob Halford's vocals are why 2 teens killed themselves.

Mariyln Manson is the reason the Columbine shooting happened.

Mortal Kombat is why kids are fighting in school.

And now, Epic Games is why your kid is throwing a tantrum when you don't let them play it long enough.

Remember!  Mental health, abuse, bullying, piss poor parenting, and various other reasons aren't the cause.  Even if they are give the parents a break life is too hard and they have every right to be shitty parents because of poor life decisions!

53 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Steam/Valve literally have a Psychologist on staff to work out their sales schemes. Made them a ton of cash... not sure if real Psychologist or con man with purchased degree from Ebay. Either way, it worked.

That makes sense to me, but a psychologist game developer seems a stretch for epic games, a significantly smaller operation

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions