opening forum kills Firefox?

I have noticed that opening the forum on my work laptop in FF seems to break the entire browser. I can use the site for about three seconds before the entire browser freezes and locks up. Killing the tab dosnt unfreeze it but killing the tab and restarting FF gets it back to functional again. I have no issues with the forum in Chrome but i would really prefer using FF :/ 

It dosnt say its using any massive resources or anything and its totally fine in FF on my desktop at home so i have no clue whats going on here. I have content blocking set to strict but thats the same as what i have at home and the only extenssion active is DDG essentials which same as at home. Only diffrence between the two would be the OS as im running Manjaro 19 at home and windows 10 1903 on the work laptop.

Thanks for the help :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Am running FF on 1903 and only very rarely get problems, when I do it's usually that the tab crashes. But usually that's like less than once a week on average. I will say though, that it hardly ever used to happen at all, but has been more frequent as of late.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Am running FF on 1903 and only very rarely get problems, when I do it's usually that the tab crashes. But usually that's like less than once a week on average. I will say though, that it hardly ever used to happen at all, but has been more frequent as of late.

its a 100% rate on killing the entire browser for me so far :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

its a 100% rate on killing the entire browser for me so far :( 

Wow, that's very useless... Just out of interest have you tried un-installing/re-installing?

If you still can't find a workaround, maybe try waterfox instead.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Also, could try the nightly version of FF Linky

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Wow, that's very useless... Just out of interest have you tried un-installing/re-installing?

If you still can't find a workaround, maybe try waterfox instead.

its just freshly installed on a freshly imaged computer so there should be no issues around that. Will try nightly but i think i will just stick to having the forum in chrome until there is a real fix

Builds:

Spoiler

Yesterday I had an issue on my laptop where opening Firefox at all caused the CPU usage to immediately jump to 100%. I always keep LTT, Twitch and Youtube pinned to the taskbar of my browser and it never occured to me to check if one of those was causing the issue.

I woke up this morning, turned on my Laptop, opened FF and the issue had fixed itself.

Might be related, might not be?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Firefox has crash logs. Have you taken a look at those yet?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

34 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Firefox has crash logs. Have you taken a look at those yet?

the browser never crashes, it just locks up and loads forever. All tabs unload and become a loading wheel untill i close the LTT forum tab and restart the browser. Downloaded nightly and its running fine so far so far though

Builds:

Spoiler

Well as an update, the nightly build has now spiked to 40% CPU usage on my I7 7600U... Sucks that FF dosnt have a taskmanager like chrome does :/

*edit*

And its using half a gig of RAM???? for a single tab...

Builds:

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well as an update, the nightly build has now spiked to 40% CPU usage on my I7 7600U... Sucks that FF dosnt have a taskmanager like chrome does :/

*edit*

And its using half a gig of RAM???? for a single tab...

Half a gig of RAM is what I'm using for 3 tabs. CPU usage is 1.1%. It went up 200mb for 2 more tabs. Maybe see if you can dig up something from developer tools or about:support . If this was on mobile, I would say its some javascript thingy not loading properly. Symptoms would match. But I don't recall getting that on desktop versions ever.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Half a gig of RAM is what I'm using for 3 tabs. CPU usage is 1.1%. It went up 200mb for 2 more tabs. Maybe see if you can dig up something from developer tools or about:support . If this was on mobile, I would say its some javascript thingy not loading properly. Symptoms would match. But I don't recall getting that on desktop versions ever.

I had the forum open and the settings but closing the settings tab obv didn't do much. Will diagnose further if I get time tomorrow. It didn't start out using that much CPU though, it came after a while of mostly having the tab in the background. Only noticed because the fan went mad lol

Builds:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Crashing the browser once a week is still extremely bad. Have you submitted any crash reports? 

@Bananasplit_00are you loading the forum index, or is it just topics? And when it breaks do you notice anything going on with system resource usage? In particular things that might happen are one core going to 100%, or memory going to 100% of physical so it starts to swap. 

FWIW I don't get any crashes on Firefox on fedora. 

HTTP/2 203

I have not had the forum crash on me yet *knocks on wood*. Been using Firefox forever and have been on this forum for nearly 4 years. Windows 10 and Linux Mint.

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Crashing the browser once a week is still extremely bad. Have you submitted any crash reports? 

@Bananasplit_00are you loading the forum index, or is it just topics? And when it breaks do you notice anything going on with system resource usage? In particular things that might happen are one core going to 100%, or memory going to 100% of physical so it starts to swap. 

When it kills the browser I haven't seen abnormal usage but I also only looked at that once that I can recall. I also posted further down the thread that nightly has issues with resource use.

Most times I couldn't get past the index in normal FF but topics were no better once I got to one.

Builds:

Spoiler

12 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Ok so opening the forum just makes the entire browser unresponsive, there is no extreme resource use at all in normal FF, the extreme resource use was only a nightly thing it seems. 

All i do is open the forum and after a couple of seconds i cant interact with the browser anymore. All tabs become a white screen with a loading spinner you cant reload and all you can do with them is close them. The browser is also a little slower than usual while this happens but the resource use is still perfectly normal. It dosnt spike a core, it dosnt use a bunch of GPU or any more RAM than usual.

Builds:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

No, sorry I think we crossed lines a little there... it's not the forum crashing the tabs. I was just saying in general that 1903 build of windows and using FF, has been crashing the tabs lately. Sorry for the confusion.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Also, it's < once a week on average that it's been crashing tabs, and when it does crash, I get a notification from FF saying that a tab crashed and restores my tabs. I don't think it's forum related in my case anyway... although it's hard to say as I usually have the forums open in at least one tab all the time.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

If you type about:performance you get FF's Task Manager @Bananasplit_00

image.png

oh cool, didnt see that one mentioned anywhere. 

Tried to open the forum while that was open and a coupple other tabs too and all the other tabs dissapear from about:performance as soon as the forum index is loaded and the forum tab dosnt show either

Builds:

Spoiler

Can you try disabling ublock (and any other extensions that you have)? It sounds to me like the FIrefox main thread might be blocked, which is usually a browser or extension issue rather than the site.

Another thing to try would be clearing your cookies and cache, just to eliminate that as a possible factor.

HTTP/2 203

9 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can you try disabling ublock (and any other extensions that you have)? It sounds to me like the FIrefox main thread might be blocked, which is usually a browser or extension issue rather than the site.

Another thing to try would be clearing your cookies and cache, just to eliminate that as a possible factor.

i disabled the one extension i had, DuckDuckGo Essentials. While the entire browser didnt die this time, i got the same extreme resource use as i did in nightly. 45% CPU usage and lots of RAM use

*edit*

I now have DDGE enabled and managed to load the forum. It was very resource intense for a short while but then fixed itself?

*another edit*

Well forum is working but spikes two cores from time to time. Topics seem to be more fine or even mostly fine but sitting on the index it seems to get unhappy? This seems to be the case with or without DDGE. Its a bit hard to diagnose exactly what triggers it, seems pretty random right now

Builds:

Spoiler

Can you try Firefox in Safe Mode by clicking ≡, Help, Restart with Add-ons Disabled (it does slightly more than just disable addons)?

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can you try Firefox in Safe Mode by clicking ≡, Help, Restart with Add-ons Disabled (it does slightly more than just disable addons)?

Will do it once I am back at work tomorrow. Seems fine mostly now, did literally nothing to fix it. Something is spiking my CPU though, I hear the fans ramp up for a bit, but I haven't caught what it is so that might be something else.

Builds:

Spoiler

FF latest manjaro linux and I am not having this problem.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!