TUTORIAL: Cloud Folding V2: 2 Days 2xGTX 1080 / Tesla V100/M60 F@H free! 1,4mPPD!

!!!GO HERE FOR THE UPDATED VERSION!!!! 

!

2x GTX1080 Numbers are in: Out of the box you get around 1,4mPPD!

Thanks to the free trial of cherry servers everyone can get around 48h of usage on a server wich has 2x GTX 1080! That should make up for a nice PPD boost for a a few days. 

Like with the Google stuf there is no danger of being charged le $$. They only charge your balance on the account. If you dont top it up (or configure automatic top up) the servers will simply power of until you ad balance to your account. Therefore its super save, like the google stuf I explained in my last post here. 

After you're through your free 20$ you can top up and then you will pay roughly 0, 38$ per hour. Thats close to 10$ a day. Maybe a bit expensive for the whole event, but wort it in the last days to crush some ranks :P.

According to the F@H GPU PPD Database https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-overclock-net-folding-home-team/475163-gpu-projects-ppd-database.html  this should put us at over 1,5mPPD! ? 

The provider this time is cherry servers: https://www.cherryservers.com IF anyone of you does find other cheap GPU server providers with a decent test balance feel free to post them here. I want to harvest everything I can get -> and you should to!

DISCLAIMER: I and my company have used Cherry in the past and are pleased with the service. Never had any problems with them and searching the web you also dont find much negative stuf about them. Therefore I guess its fine to give them your card OOOOR: https://privacy.com :P 

It is also possible to get around a week of usage on a Tesla V100 on GoogleCloud or a Tesla M60 on Microsoft Azure. Let me know if you need a tutorial. After setting up the server the installation of drivers and F@H is exactly the same as show here.

KK, LETZ GOO!

1. Create yourself an account in the top right click Log in -> create account -> you know how to do this :D. As with the google service you will have to give them your card. But its NOT charged unless you tell them to. I also got a window promoting me to set up a automatic top up, but you can close that and work with the free test budget. Later payment is even possible with crypto etc.

2. Once your in the portal go to servers -> bare metal (this time we want full power and nothing virtualized) and pick the E3-1240LV5 with 2xGTX 1080, show in pic:

Spoiler

1671086447_Bildschirmfoto2019-10-07um00_54_46.thumb.jpg.d6bc5760f25ff500e4ef87488394333f.jpg

Go on customize and at the bottom choose the OS Ubuntu 18.04. Then add to chart and leave everything as is!

3. Go to your chart and turn the credit top up slider all to the left. That way you wont be charged beforehand. The server will run as long as you have balance on the account.

4. WAIT... mine took 30min to be finished. You will get email notifications. ATTENTION: once you got the notice that it is running, you're paying it.

5. When the server is running: On your servers overview click on the server and note the password displayed there. Also not the public IP.

6. SSH into dat B. SERVER (WTF is SSH? -> see my next post)

7. The following steps will be similar to what I have described in my last post.

BUT here we will have to make a few steps before downloading and installing FAH... we need the graphics drivers and cuda support to run properly!

8. First update your system

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

9. Install dev tools

sudo apt-get install build-essential git

10. We will now install MUCH more than we need, but this is the simplest solution :D it can take 10-15min to finish the install, but tinkering with everything else needed would be SOO much more effort.

therefore follow this step by step and IN ORDER:  (For the Linux PROS: Yes I know... but due to the server only being used for F@H and the extra stuf not having any impact on F@H this is the best solution. And yes I know I am installing nearly a full gnome + window server etc) Source is Nvidias official stuff: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads?target_os=Linux&target_arch=x86_64&target_distro=Ubuntu&target_version=1804

wget https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/ubuntu1804/x86_64/cuda-ubuntu1804.pin
sudo mv cuda-ubuntu1804.pin /etc/apt/preferences.d/cuda-repository-pin-600
wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/10.1/Prod/local_installers/cuda-repo-ubuntu1804-10-1-local-10.1.243-418.87.00_1.0-1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i cuda-repo-ubuntu1804-10-1-local-10.1.243-418.87.00_1.0-1_amd64.deb
sudo apt-key add /var/cuda-repo-10-1-local-10.1.243-418.87.00/7fa2af80.pub
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install cuda

This will shoot out some error and stuf BUT that's ok :D It will work anyway. If asked for some file named cloud, chose to apply the new one coming from the update.

11. reboot 

sudo reboot

12. wait some miniutes

13. SSH back in

15. onwards form step 15 in this post. Now everything is the same, but F@H will see the GPUs and start bashing on them :) (and also on 2 cores with 2.1Ghz but that's peanuts compared to dual 1080 POWAH)

Like with my last one: This is an early version. Please give feedback and suggestions! ;) 

Want to check temps and usage?

With installing cuda and the driver we also installed some monitoring stuff. Main Terminal prompt:

nvidia-smi

And here are my servers 1080s bashing on Core21

Spoiler

822837980_Bildschirmfoto2019-10-07um01_12_09.jpg.636bc919d141a1a7ad3c57f9f44a8f77.jpg193778935_Bildschirmfoto2019-10-07um01_09_52.jpg.3069b592858603501a4ec7a7dd3e578f.jpg

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

For everyone who is new to SSH:

SSH (Secure SHell) is the simplest method of interacting with the command line of a remote system over the interwebz. Also encrypted.

For those interested: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell 

Nahh I just want shit to work:

Windows usershttps://www.howtogeek.com/336775/how-to-enable-and-use-windows-10s-built-in-ssh-commands/

Linux/Mac users benefit: SSH is build in! Open a Terminal and put (root is the user we want to be to set shit up, we also fold with the root user. Thats not cool I terms of security but there is nothing to lose on your folding box :P) 

ssh root@ServersPublicIP

You will get asked of you'd like to trust the key and store the key: type yes and hit enter.

you should be in your server now! :)

16 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

For everyone who is new to SSH:

SSH (Secure SHell) is the simplest method of interacting with the command line of a remote system over the interwebz. Also encrypted.

For those interested: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell 

Nahh I just want shit to work:

Windows usershttps://www.howtogeek.com/336775/how-to-enable-and-use-windows-10s-built-in-ssh-commands/

Linux/Mac users benefit: SSH is build in! Open a Terminal and put (root is the user we want to be to set shit up, we also fold with the root user. Thats not cool I terms of security but there is nothing to lose on your folding box :P) 

ssh root@ServersPublicIP

You will get asked of you'd like to trust the key and store the key: type yes and hit enter.

you should be in your server now! :)

Im trying to use Powershell but 'sudo' doesnt exist there.. Im confused how to connect FAH client with the cherry server one.. 

I got everything running on the google one.

Any help is appreciated :)

edit:

So I get his and when it prompts for password the cursor doesnt move as if it isn't registering any input from the keyboard.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Im trying to use Powershell but 'sudo' doesnt exist there.. Im confused how to connect FAH client with the cherry server one.. 

I got everything running on the google one.

Any help is appreciated :)

Have you installed SSH and powershell? Then you wont need sudo. Once on the server you do need it, but there you're controlling a Linux so it will be available. SSH is only used to connect to the server. Once in the server everything is the same, no matter with wich client PC you connect to your server

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Have you installed SSH and powershell? Then you wont need sudo. Once on the server you do need it, but there you're controlling a Linux so it will be available. SSH is only used to connect to the server. Once in the server everything is the same, no matter with wich client PC you connect to your server

just updated my above post ?

So yes I have powershell and when using SSH IP adress, I cant fill in a PW ( Deleted the screenshot as it has IP adresses on it haha)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

image.png.8c05258cc27d59a21fc7c66d468becc6.png

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So I get his and when it prompts for password the cursor doesnt move as if it isn't registering any input from the keyboard.

looks good. you now need to input the password of the server, not from your windows acc. Its normal for the curser to not move (because super secret security :D). fill it in and hit enter 

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

looks good. you now need to input the password of the server, not from your windows acc. Its normal for the curser to not move (because super secret security :D). fill it in and hit enter 

Ah okay, in that case the error is that permission is denied... as I must of tried like 10 times already: from copy pasting / to entering it myself.

Im using the password which I found within my server portal page 

23 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

When you installed SSH. It was already installed when I opened power shell as it shows me the option menu for SSH

7 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

When you installed SSH. It was already installed when I opened power shell as it shows me the option menu for SSH

maybe you got it with power shell. I dont know that on windows. I am a Mac user

8 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

maybe you got it with power shell. I dont know that on windows. I am a Mac user

I could just use my mac to set up this connection of course haha.. But probably will runinto the same issue of having permission denied...

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I could just use my mac to set up this connection of course haha.. But probably will runinto the same issue of having permission denied...

hen you got the wrong PW

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

hen you got the wrong PW

It’s the one provided to me on the online portal where it shows your server, right?

5 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

It’s the one provided to me on the online portal where it shows your server, right?

yup

12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yup

Yeah thats the one im using..

edit: Now I cant SSH at all to my IP. keeps timing out port 22

13 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yup

So what would the steps be on a mac? might dig out my MBP and try it via there

6 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Yeah thats the one im using..

edit: Now I cant SSH at all to my IP. keeps timing out port 22

reboot the Server via the Google control page

2 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

So what would the steps be on a mac? might dig out my MBP and try it via there

Terminal -> ssh is there 

but if your PW is wrong anyway this wont help

maybe try to reset your ssh keys: 

rm -f .ssh/known_hosts

@Metallus97

well Hallelujah! Got both Google and Cherry running.

Using Terminal in OSX was the fix.

What is the best way to keep track of both Servers folding and ppd??

3 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@Metallus97

well Hallelujah! Got both Google and Cherry running.

Using Terminal in OSX was the fix.

What is the best way to keep track of both Servers folding and ppd??

Ok nice but please not my recent changes to the original post abut google. You need to run FAH under screen to keep it running when you disconnect form SSH!

I use HFM.NET ill ad information about this later, currently figuring it out myself :D

8 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Ok nice but please not my recent changes to the original post abut google. You need to run FAH under screen to keep it running when you disconnect form SSH!

I use HFM.NET ill ad information about this later, currently figuring it out myself :D

Thanks be great if you can - tried adding them to my fah control /client and didn’t work. Not sure what ports cherry or google uses and if I need to use a password. 

that makes sense now that I need to keep the ssh open as I was wondering my my pdd hasn’t risen ? 

4 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Thanks be great if you can - tried adding them to my fah control /client and didn’t work. Not sure what ports cherry or google uses and if I need to use a password. 

that makes sense now that I need to keep the ssh open as I was wondering my my pdd hasn’t risen ? 

you don’t need to keep it open

quit FAHClient

open a screen and run it there 

look at the original google tutorial. I added explanation. Oh and you have to DISABLE autostart for FAH

1 hour ago, Metallus97 said:

you don’t need to keep it open

quit FAHClient

open a screen and run it there 

look at the original google tutorial. I added explanation. Oh and you have to DISABLE autostart for FAH

So I closed all SSH terminals and it didn't fold overnight.

Got them all open and somehow Points are not being awarded to my account although i used Stormseeker9 as folding name and used my passkey.. 

Must of fucked up somewhere... as my last points update was 167 points..

Ill check out your original post.

Tried adding them all to my Fahclient on my PC itself so i can monitor all.

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

So I closed all SSH terminals and it didn't fold overnight.

Got them all open and somehow Points are not being awarded to my account although i used Stormseeker9 as folding name and used my passkey.. 

Must of fucked up somewhere... as my last points update was 167 points..

Ill check out your original post.

Tried adding them all to my Fahclient on my PC itself so i can monitor all.

Best Solution for fUP is simply deleting the server and again following my guide.

58 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Best Solution for fUP is simply deleting the server and again following my guide.

So completely delete it or can I ‘reinstall’ FAHClient on ththe servers from google & cherry?