Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ultra_code

Cheap but High-Quality DisplayPort 1.2 Switches Supporting 1440p@144Hz?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I feel like this question has been asked before. In fact, I know some slight variation of this question has been asked when doing some research before typing up this post. But, I seek to ask the same question again, in late 2019.

The question is, are there any cheap yet high-quality 2-PC/1-monitor switches (not KVMs - I don't need the USB/audio ports, as I already have that covered) capable of 1440p @ 144Hz? I have a Dell S2417DG monitor, a nice TN panel with Gsync support, 1440p resolution at 144Hz, and low response times (according to the marketing). And, as far as I can tell, for a TN, the viewing angles are really good. I can't notice any realistic difference in image quality at different angles. Point being, it's a great monitor, and I'm not exactly looking to drop more money on another monitor with similar specs but with two DisplayPort ports on it (if there are any out there). And no, a dual-monitor setup is out of the question.

So, that's why I want to find a good DP switch. I am currently using the monitor for both my Ryzen 5 3600 main and my former i7-3770k main, the later of which is currently running XP and Vista for fun, in terms of playing older games on supported hardware at insane settings, and just because it's kinda cool to run older Windows OSes. Now, I'm using the DP port for my R5 main (obviously) and the HDMI port for the older machine. The HDMI port on the monitor works great under Vista, 1440p albeit at 60Hz, but under XP? 1080p. 1080p on a 1440p monitor is blurry. Nothing... serious, but noticeable. Hence, my desire for a DP switch. That way, I can once again use the DP out on the 980 ti of that machine and get crisp 1440p under XP and maybe 120Hz under Vista.

However, I feel as I am asking for the impossible. Most "switches" are KVMs, and such KVMs go for over $200. But wherever you look, whether at DP switches under $200 or KVMs over that amount, at least from some Amazon reviews, they are usually very problematic, with plenty of 1-star reviews and issues galore.

On that note, I ask: Does there exist a switch as I outlined for me, or am I SOL? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

i found this 

it says 1920x1080 though a comment said it works with their 1440p 144hz monitor though sadly it is a KVM

though it is under 200$ though the reviews are not the best 

Posted · Original PosterOP

I looked at that exact post. Yeah, no, those are a no-go.

I am hoping for a "yes, there exists such a switch" answer from someone, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.