SSD vs CPU

Hi, a friend is looking for a good laptop, around 400€, shes only going to do some word and powerpoint for school, but at that price i either find 8gb ram, ssd, and not so new cpu, or new cpu but either 4gb ram or no ssd,

i found this laptop https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1372678/lenovo-ideapad-s145-14ast-(81st002cmh)/specificaties/

will the A9 amd cpu be quick in office 365 programs?

or maybe someone has a better laptop in EU for around 400€

here is a site with all laptops from all stores if you found a laptop but dont know eu price https://tweakers.net/categorie/496/laptops/producten/

Thanks in advance! 

The A9 will lose to something like a 4th gen i3.

You can get 4th/5th gen i3/i5 laptops for $400 or less with 8gb of ram and ~256gb SSD.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

This one looks good.

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/435953/lenovo-thinkpad-t450s-20bx0011mh.html

1080p screen, 256GB SSD, Broadwell i7.

yes but this one is not being sold anymore :(

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

The A9 will lose to something like a 4th gen i3.

You can get 4th/5th gen i3/i5 laptops for $400 or less with 8gb of ram and ~256gb SSD.

cant find any, could you link me one?

1 minute ago, Flawizz said:

dayhm, aight, refurbished tho, idk if my friend would like that, but thanks anyway :D

Thats about the only way to get decent specs at a low price.  Grade A is effectively "like new".

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Thats about the only way to get decent specs at a low price.  Grade A is effectively "like new".

hmm, where does it say grade A?

I do not recommend buying an SSD.
SSD for system only, HDD for data.
In SSDs, data is stored in capacitors. And in HDD disks, data is stored on a metal magnetic disk. Data on SSDs may disappear in the event of power surges.
SSDs really work faster, are much cheaper, but they are less reliable.
On laptops, you can usually install only one drive - either an SSD or an HDD. Therefore, using one disk for the system, and they are for data - will not work. You must either use the extension or connect an external HDD.
Or lose data.
But if you only need performance, take a used cheap SSD. The drive will fail quickly, but during its operation there will be good performance.

1 minute ago, DyachVt said:

In SSDs, data is stored in capacitors. And in HDD disks, data is stored on a metal magnetic disk. Data on SSDs may disappear in the event of power surges.
On laptops, you can usually install only one drive - either an SSD or an HDD. Therefore, using one disk for the system, and they are for data - will not work. You must either use the extension or connect an external HDD.
Or lose data.
But if you only need performance, take a used cheap SSD. The drive will fail quickly, but during its operation there will be good performance.

power surge dont happen on laptop tho, correct me if im braindead, and i see many laptops with both ssd hdd

but my friend is not really going to need alot of storage, she has an external hdd, and only needed for 2years so dont matter if ssd fails, external and cloud is enough :)

3 minutes ago, DyachVt said:

Or lose data.

What ?!?

SSDs in the mid 2000's were a bit more failure prone but they are NOT in any way, shape, or form less reliable than HDDs. An SSD is more reliable than a HDD because they lack moving parts which can be damaged with a sudden impact. Do not think that SSDs today are anywhere near like they were in the early days. SSDs last as long or longer than HDDs with proper TRIM support in the OS

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Little known fact, HDDs use RAM caching on the drive controller board.  There is no reliability difference during power loss, except SSD writes faster so is less likely to get caught mid write.

11 minutes ago, Flawizz said:

hmm, where does it say grade A?

The Dell is Grade A, its in the listing title and in the description.

This is a myth that disk manufacturers are spreading.
https://therevisionist.org/reviews/ssd-vs-hdd-one-reliable/
Above is a link to a regular article
And here is the article of the manufacturer:
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ssd-vs-hdd
You need to understand how SSD / HDD works and not inspire all the manufacturers' ads.

Also, I didn’t say not to buy SSDs. I said that the SSD is not reliable.
If the laptop is not for the office, you can take any cheap used for $ 20-100

https://www.ebay.com/b/PC-Laptops-Netbooks/177?RAM%20Size=8%20GB|4%20GB|5%20GB|6%20GB&SSD%20Capacity=256GB|500GB&Storage%20Type=SSD%20%28Solid%20State%20Drive%29&rt=nc&_sop=15&_udhi=150&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Probably early I went to the American forum. In Ukraine, everything is different. At least I have never seen two hard drives.

1 minute ago, DyachVt said:

Probably early I went to the American forum. In Ukraine, everything is different. At least I have never seen two hard drives.

np :), thankyou for helping anyway