Ubutnu Locking up

3 times today Ubutnu has locked up on me and I had to restart. 

Spec:

Ryzen 2600x

16 Gigs of ram

Radeon 5700 

Ubutnu: 18.04.3 LTS

GNOME 3.28.2

Kernel: 5.3.2-050302-generic 

I had to do a kernel upgrade to get the GPU to work correctly so I could do multi montiors. Not sure what the issue is. It seems that it locks up when I use Chrome and, if its been sitting for a while sometimes it wont come out of sleep. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

so if chrome is not running, everything works perfectly? is chrome up to date?

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

so if chrome is not running, everything works perfectly? is chrome up to date?

Chrome is always running as I leave it running. This is a brand new install of Ubutnu. Litterally a week old. 

Im running Chrome: Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) if that helps. I have at least 3 windows open with mutiple tabs in each. 

I know Chrome is meh, but I have all my bookmarks setup and I know how to use this browser best. I tried Fire Fox, but I cant really get in to its interface. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Chrome is always running as I leave it running. This is a brand new install of Ubutnu. Litterally a week old. 

didnt answer my question. does everything run fine if chrome is not open?

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

didnt answer my question. does everything run fine if chrome is not open?

That’s the issue. I can use the machine for min or hours before it locks up. Fresh boot it works. But it’s not like I can test it for hours. As this is my only machine. 

I wonder if it’s a kernel issue. Or specifically Chrome. For contrast my Plex server uses the same version of Ubuntu. But doesn’t have the newest kernel. And it runs Chromium. I use Chrome on my desktop because Chromium doesn’t work with Netflix from what I have seen. 

try closing chrome and use firefox for a day (just a day). do you still encounter issues. firefox isnt that bad in terms of UI/layout

I just performed an Update command in the command line. Recent I remember it did a kernel update. Looks like some graphics related items updated. So I wonder if that caused the issue. Just as you posted your last reply the screen went black. I’m wondering if it’s driver related. I might be fired off LTS to the latest release. Due to the GPU being tooo new. 

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

try closing chrome and use firefox for a day (just a day). do you still encounter issues. firefox isnt that bad in terms of UI/layout

I have tried using Firefox. The UI makes me want to stab my self. Plus I have a lot of stuff attached to my Google account. Which is why I used Chrome l. 

33 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have tried using Firefox. The UI makes me want to stab my self. Plus I have a lot of stuff attached to my Google account. Which is why I used Chrome l. 

well if you cant sacrifice for a day for a simple troubleshooting problem. sounds like a you problem. 

im surprised a reputable member of this forum is unable to make a small sacrifice so they can fix their computer.

16 minutes ago, Saksham said:

well if you cant sacrifice for a day for a simple troubleshooting problem. sounds like a you problem. 

im surprised a reputable member of this forum is unable to make a small sacrifice so they can fix their computer.

I’ve choose to leave the machine running with nothing open. If it works after a few hours then I’m going to have to go back to Chromium. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

That’s the issue. I can use the machine for min or hours before it locks up. Fresh boot it works. But it’s not like I can test it for hours. As this is my only machine. 

I wonder if it’s a kernel issue. Or specifically Chrome. For contrast my Plex server uses the same version of Ubuntu. But doesn’t have the newest kernel. And it runs Chromium. I use Chrome on my desktop because Chromium doesn’t work with Netflix from what I have seen. 

chromium does work with netflix, you just need to install widevine separately.

As for your issue, try installing the previous kernel and check that the crashes don't occur on that. You don't need to uninstall the current one, you should be able to pick in grub (if you aren't it should just be a matter of regenerating grub.cfg).

If you can hold on for a few months, 5.4 will be an lts release which hopefully means it will be more stable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

43 minutes ago, Sauron said:

As for your issue, try installing the previous kernel and check that the crashes don't occur on that. You don't need to uninstall the current one, you should be able to pick in grub (if you aren't it should just be a matter of regenerating grub.cfg).

I have Ubutnu Mainline Kernel Installer installed. I was able to get to Grub and decided to use Kernel 5.3.0, thats what I orginally upgraded to and it seemed to work. Kernels 5.3.1, 5.3.2 are also installed. Its kinda cool that you can swtich Kernels like that. 

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

f you can hold on for a few months, 5.4 will be an lts release which hopefully means it will be more stable.

Well considering I had to restart 4 times to day and 3 of them were holding the power button..... I dont think I can hold out that long. Hopefully 5.3 keeps working. Ill just forgo any more Kernel updates till I hear about 5.4. 

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

chromium does work with netflix, you just need to install widevine separately.

If you can hold on for a few months, 5.4 will be an lts release which hopefully means it will be more stable.

Just a bit of an update. No lock ups yet and I’m still using Chrome. So I’m guessing a Kernel issue. I’ll update further if anything changes. Thanks for the help.