CPU throttling in games

MrSimplicity
Go to solution Solved by MrSimplicity,

@SlayerOfHellWyrm OKAY, so this is super weird I was messing around watching Task mgr and there was only one process that using any CPU really even at idle. The culprit... I think... is lightingservice.exe, I googled it and it turns out that this process has been a big problem for many people for a multitude of reasons, mainly triggering EAC and other anti-cheat solutions that games use that caused crashing. This wasn't the issue I was having but it seemed to still be the problem. In GTA I was only getting about 35% cpu usage, DOOM was roughly 40-50% and Borderlands 3  stayed around 40% but had some blips here and there where it would sit between 80-100% for about 10 seconds, not sure what that's about. 

I will play around with it more tomorrow to see if I just got good numbers for a day. One thing though is I can't open lightingservice.exe again without restarting my computer. 

ODD note... in all 3 games I was usually getting around 120-130 fps but for some reason was only getting between 70-80 while testing and that's with vertical sync disabled in Nvidia control panel and in game. But that's a whole different issue by itself.

I've overclocked my CPU to 4.7ghz, I've got a 360mm AIO cooling it, after I used the built in ASUS AI OC and it decided it could run at 5.1ghz. No that was not stable. So I dialed it back until I found 4.8 was stable and .1 more for safe measure. With all of that I'm trying to find out why my CPU is pinging 100% on all cores for majority of the time while gaming. GTA V to be more specific, it does it in DOOM 2016, and alsoBborderlands 3. Could be in others but the other games I play are not that intense (i.e. league of legends and minecraft). I know GTA is a CPU heavy game but I can't imagine why it pings to 100% for so long especially with a 2080ti backing it up.

I've had the CPU for a little over a year and thinking about a 9900k but if I can figure this out without spending $600 I would prefer it that way.

All the other parts in my build are the same age as my CPU except the 2080ti which I just bought a month ago.

P.S. the thermals never reach above 70°C on the CPU and 60°C on the GPU especially after I finally turn my A/C on. I have an open style case almost like a test bench.

Asus ROG STRIX Z-390E Motherboard

I7-8700k 3.7ghz overclocked to 4.7 on all cores

EVGA 2080 ti Black

G-Skill trident DDR4-3200mhz boosts to 4400mhz *EDIT* 32gb ram

Rosewill 80plus bronze 1000watt PSU

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Monitor: 3x 27" AOC Gaming monitor with QHD 2K 2560x1440 144hz
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

4 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

I've overclocked my CPU to 4.7ghz, I've got a 360mm AIO cooling it, after I used the built in ASUS AI OC and it decided it could run at 5.1ghz. No that was not stable. So I dialed it back until I found 4.8 was stable and .1 more for safe measure. With all of that I'm trying to find out why my CPU is pinging 100% on all cores for majority of the time while gaming. GTA V to be more specific, it does it in DOOM 2016, and alsoBborderlands 3. Could be in others but the other games I play are not that intense (i.e. league of legends and minecraft). I know GTA is a CPU heavy game but I can't imagine why it pings to 100% for so long especially with a 2080ti backing it up.

I've had the CPU for a little over a year and thinking about a 9900k but if I can figure this out without spending $600 I would prefer it that way.

All the other parts in my build are the same age as my CPU except the 2080ti which I just bought a month ago.

P.S. the thermals never reach above 70°C on the CPU and 60°C on the GPU especially after I finally turn my A/C on. I have an open style case almost like a test bench.

Asus ROG STRIX Z-390E Motherboard

I7-8700k 3.7ghz overclocked to 4.7 on all cores

EVGA 2080 ti Black

G-Skill trident DDR4-3200mhz boosts to 4400mhz

Rosewill 80plus bronze 1000watt PSU

Have you looked in task manager to see what's eating the CPU when you're trying to game? I have the same 8700K, but mines stable at 5.0 GHz on a 115i Platinum. I've never seen it hit 100% in a game, however to be fair, I don't own Doom, or BL3. I do own GTA V, but I've yet to actually play it on Iris... eventually. 

If you want, I can launch into it to see where my 8700K sits at, with all my other bg crap open (Chrome, Discord, Spotify and tons of other background stuff like Asus GPU Tweak II)?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Update @MrSimplicity I just ran GTA V, maxed out at 1440p on my 2070 and I got about 50% CPU and about 4.6GB RAM usage from GTA V, so I could not replicate your issue. That being said, I can't get the game to save my dang graphical settings, so take it with a grain of salt mate.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

For sure you have something else also running in the background, could be a virus or something, check the task manager.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

@SlayerOfHellWyrm OKAY, so this is super weird I was messing around watching Task mgr and there was only one process that using any CPU really even at idle. The culprit... I think... is lightingservice.exe, I googled it and it turns out that this process has been a big problem for many people for a multitude of reasons, mainly triggering EAC and other anti-cheat solutions that games use that caused crashing. This wasn't the issue I was having but it seemed to still be the problem. In GTA I was only getting about 35% cpu usage, DOOM was roughly 40-50% and Borderlands 3  stayed around 40% but had some blips here and there where it would sit between 80-100% for about 10 seconds, not sure what that's about. 

I will play around with it more tomorrow to see if I just got good numbers for a day. One thing though is I can't open lightingservice.exe again without restarting my computer. 

ODD note... in all 3 games I was usually getting around 120-130 fps but for some reason was only getting between 70-80 while testing and that's with vertical sync disabled in Nvidia control panel and in game. But that's a whole different issue by itself.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2
Storage: Silicon Power A55 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Monitor: 3x 27" AOC Gaming monitor with QHD 2K 2560x1440 144hz
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti