Why is the notch so hated by everyone?

TrainFan475

I don't get why everyone seems to hate the notch so much. What's so bad about it? And where else are they supposed to put the face camera?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

Something something "screen size" blah blah blah "it's stupid cuz I don't like it" blah blah blah.

I've never understood it myself. Either you have a notch with a bit of screen on the left and right, no notch and lose that screen space, have some gear mechanism that will break to raise it out of the phone, or have a hole punched into your phone. It's all just people complaining because it's different and not what they've been used to. I would take a notch every day of the week over an embedded camera with a hold punched out of my screen for more dirt to collect in.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Something something "screen size" blah blah blah "it's stupid cuz I don't like it" blah blah blah.

I've never understood it myself. Either you have a notch with a bit of screen on the left and right, lose that screen space, have some gear mechanism that will break to raise it out of the phone, or have a hole punched into your phone. It's all just people complaining because it's different and not what they've been used to. I would take a notch every day of the week over an embedded camera with a hold punched out of my screen for more dirt to collect in.

I use an iPhone X with the notch every day, it's a non-issue. Sliiiiightly noticeable in some videos if you zoom them to fullscreen but eh barely, it isn't bothersome anywhere else. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

10 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

I don't get why everyone seems to hate the notch so much. What's so bad about it? And where else are they supposed to put the face camera?

Oh boy, here I go again with rants about random insignificant things XD

I think it's f***ing useless, it's much better to just have a top bezel housing all the cameras/sensors/speakers/etc.  I think manufacturers put it there explicitly because they can say they have a "9X% screen to body ratio" but in reality you can't watch any videos or do anything (in the area next to the notch) when there's a cutout in that screen area...
Let's take the pixel 3 XL for example (yes I know, I chose the phone with the largest notch but it better illustrates my point).  It's a "6.3 inch" screen, but you can't watch videos or scroll through websites in the top part anyway so it becomes basically a ~6 inch screen (this is a guess, I don't have the exact info but assuming .3 inches is pretty generous), why not just shrink the top bezel to say 75% of the size of the notch and fill the area on the sides (allowing you to still put the same hardware in the top of the screen), then suddenly you could have a 6.1 or 6.2 inch screen that can all be used instead of "6.3 inches" where only ~6 is usable.

Plus I like my clock in the middle (don't @ me it's better there, left is for notifications, right is for system icons)
Oh and it looks ugly as f*** (especially samsung's stupid hole punch nonsense that just wastes MORE screen!)

tl:dr: you could have a larger usable area on the screen instead of marketing it as a larger screen but not being able to reasonably use the part next to the notch, so wtf is the point.

Edited by Mnky313
tl:dr

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

2 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

-snip-
tl:dr: you could have a larger usable area on the screen instead of marketing it as a larger screen but not being able to reasonably use the part next to the notch, so wtf is the point.

With a small notch you actually have more usable space, due to the OS putting the battery and other status stuff in the corners instead of a bar taking up the top of your screen. The iPhone X does this really well, IIRC the Essential Phone does it even better due to having a much smaller notch. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I upgrade to a phone with the notch this year and it’s a non issue. Videos are generally 16x9 or 20x9 so its not like you’re loosing out on video real estate. I think the notch is just something reviewers complain about now because it gives them something to talk about in reviews.

custom roms don't like them...

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

It's jarring to see, honestly. It ruins what would otherwise be a streamlined experience. If the screen was smaller to eliminate the notch, I'd be fine with that. I'd rather a smaller screen than one with a notch. It's just ugly.

23 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

I think manufacturers put it there explicitly because they can say they have a "9X% screen to body ratio"

Indeed! Just like U-Haul does with their moving trucks. They'll say "oh this truck is 14 foot long!" when in reality, it's more like 12 foot. They have an overhang that stretches above the cab that adds the extra two feet (called a granny's attic or mom's attic). It's not useless, but it's not a 14 foot box. It's 12 foot and shelf. It's scam to call it otherwise.

49 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I've never understood it myself. Either you have a notch with a bit of screen on the left and right, no notch and lose that screen space, have some gear mechanism that will break to raise it out of the phone, or have a hole punched into your phone. It's all just people complaining because it's different and not what they've been used to. I would take a notch every day of the week over an embedded camera with a hold punched out of my screen for more dirt to collect in.

To me its more a software issue, as YouTube when playing LTT videos likes to fill the screen as much as possible so it makes the edge of the camera hole visible on my S10.  The only other option is zoomed in so its even MORE visible, it wont let me zoom out to avoid seeing the camera hole.

When it comes to other apps where they avoid using that area and its just used for the usual status icons, its actually useful additional space compared to a smaller screen.

When it comes to things to be annoyed about, its actually rounded screen edges for me.  It distorts the screen edges and makes fitting cases awkward as they have nothing to hold onto.  It also makes the phones harder to hold IMO as glass is so slippery.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

*Laughs in never having used the front camera in my phone*

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

35 minutes ago, Lurick said:

While others are too angry about the notch being there, you are too angry about it not being there.

There won't be any dirt in the hole punch for the reasons @huilun02 said.

And the gear mechanism won't break! How much do you use your front cam for that to happen? 

Notch is ugly, and most application scalings are broken by it. That abomination shouldn't exist, we should have gone straight from bezels -> no bezels, not some in between half baken solution.

I have used a phone with a notch(not mine obv), and it was fine, but that doesn't mean that it should exist.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

11 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

While others are too angry about the notch being there, you are too angry about it not being there.

There won't be any dirt in the hole punch for the reasons @huilun02 said.

And the gear mechanism won't break! How much do you use your front cam for that to happen? 

Notch is ugly, and most application scalings are broken by it. That abomination shouldn't exist, we should have gone straight from bezels -> no bezels, not some in between half baken solution.

I have used a phone with a notch(not mine obv), and it was fine, but that doesn't mean that it should exist.

I demand there be 5 notches on every phone!!!!!!1 :D

What worries me is now it's another moving part, what happens if it somehow tries to pop out in your pocket or something.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Folding phone with 3 notches and 2 slide out camera pods when ?

Main PC 

Just now, Lurick said:

What worries me is now it's another moving part, what happens if it somehow tries to pop out in your pocket or something.

I'm more concerned that a moving part allows water ingress.  I'm quite happy to FINALLY have a waterproof phone, don't really want to lose that feature just a get a few extra pixels on the screen.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Folding phone with 3 notches and 2 slide out camera pods when ?

Don't forget one in the middle of the screen :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, TrainFan2019 said:

It looks like an afterthought and silly IMO. If it doesn't bother you, who cares what others think.

I like my Note9 approach.

No Notch, hidden bottom buttons (swipe gestures for the same actions) but thin Forehead and Chin bars, slim chins for those pesky fingers...watching videos.

I've never used the Front Camera on majority of my Previous phones, Inc this one too.

I watch more content than create and while I have not used a Notch phone, other phones go around it and so would I.

Screenshot_20191005-031109_One UI Home.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, TrainFan2019 said:

1. I don't get why everyone seems to hate the notch so much.

2. What's so bad about it?

3. And where else are they supposed to put the face camera?

1. Cuz it serves no practical purpose and takes away from enjoying content, which is most of the reason people use phones these days. Heaven forbid someone calls someone with a phone after all... Also the front camera isn't used nearly as often as the back camera, so we're taking away from a main use of the phone for the sake of a side function, which isn't actually improved by the change anyways, only serves to bake bezels smaller. I mean it's not like bezels are there to keep us from accidentally dropping our thousand dollar chunks of slippery glass or something...

2. Content and applications are made to fit within rectangular spaces, not within the letter U or H. It's simply a matter of poor design and deceptive marketing.

3. In the top bezel like they did for the last 17 years without a single problem

Ergo: It wasn't necessary, it doesn't improve anything, and it makes the product less useful for doing what most people do with their phones.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

It depends greatly on what device we're talking about. The notches on the iPhone 11 and Google Pixel 3 XL are both miserable to look at and take away from fullscreen content. It's an awkward regression in the pursuit of a higher screen-to-body ratio, because now I don't want to use the full screen at the risk of taking a significant bite out of the content I'm watching. If you talk about hole punches and teardrop notches, like those on the Galaxy S10 and OnePlus 7T, they consume so little space that they're a non-issue for me personally.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

With a small notch you actually have more usable space, due to the OS putting the battery and other status stuff in the corners instead of a bar taking up the top of your screen. The iPhone X does this really well, IIRC the Essential Phone does it even better due to having a much smaller notch. 

I agree with this in part, the Oneplus 6t style `teardrop` notch or the essential phone's notch are somewhat useful because of this but at the same time the notch is usally taller than what the status bar would take up and when playing a game or watching a video the status bar hides itself anyway... which the notch just can't.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

I would love to see most of the new phone trends stop. Honestly if things keep going the way they are my next phone will be a cheap prepay nokia.

The notch is insufferable. It triggers me. I will not own a phone before I own one with a notch.

Curved glass sucks. Any extra real estate is wasted.

All glass phones suck. Far too fragile. On that point there is no phone on the market right now that is tolerably durable.

Not being able to change the battery in my phone is another insufferable effect of the new phone trends.

i actually like the pre-iphone X phones, with the somewhat large top and bottom bezel

the notch just screams "ur rich af" to me

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Its all about perspective.  Like anything from choosing a car, to a life long wife / husband / partner to as this discussion... a phone with a notch.

You weigh up the pros and cons of features v aesthetic and decide what you can live / put up with and what you can't.

I came from a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus with curved screen and no notch which in the last week was replaced with an Iphone 11 Pro Max and initially found the notch quiet distracting

However I quickly got used to it / realised that the benefits of lightening fast face-id for example, fit very well into my usage scenarios.  

I dropped my s8 because I was reaching round to the rear fingerprint reader to login to online banking and boom, dropped it!

Sure I had to make some adjustments with the iPhone, like make more use of dark mode and darker wallpapers which for the most lessen the impact of the notch.