Standard Blower RX5700 vs 2060 SUPER

Tzztr Rrtr

I think this case has been reviewed a dozen times over already, but I am in the position where I can decide between the following options at a very small price delta and the buyers guide video doesn't really go into much detail and I think assumes that the custom cooler cards 5700 are around the price of a blower fan one or sth along those lines, also the 2060 super is only 20 bucks more in my case so I really dunno here:

• Blower cooler RX5700 -   320€
  • KFA2 2060 SUPER -        340€
  • Custom cooler RX5700 - 360€

I'm not sure which to go for here... The 5700 has better overall grunt, but will be much louder and hotter as all the tests online suggest, and an OEM one will be even more than the SUPER.. The reason I wanna save some bucks is because I'll buy a new PSU as well most likely, m my current one is 6 years old so I feel like it's due a refresh, my current card is a 1060 6gb, so it'd have to handle about 100W more on avg.

What do you guys think? Is the Blower 5700 still a better buy than the 2060super, even at such a small price difference?

I'd be fine with the 5700XT Blower to save up since the card is still fine just a tad louder and that would be a true upgrade from a GTX 1060... since you're spending money altogether aim a bit higher so you don't end up spending a lot for just small gains.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i would just go for a 5700 xt ( asrock for example ) custom cooler 5700xt for 415euro, i think price performance its best to get 5700 xt

The cheapest 5700XT custom would be 420€ in my region, plus a decent PSU that would amount to about 500€ which is way more than I wanted to spend :/ 

14 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

spending a lot for just small gains

Isn't the 5700/2060 Super about 70% faster compared to a 1060 6gig?

Also if I was to go that high I could pick up a 2070 for around 410€... EDIT: Just checked to see that the 5700XT actually eclipses the 2070s performance so nvm there :D 

But I was actually planing on spending around 400 (+/- 10) for everything including the PSU

BTW: Ballin rigs you got there! ?

2 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Isn't the 5700/2060 Super about 70% faster compared to a 1060 6gig?

Careful with userbenchmark comparisons, this number will fluctuate depending on the game but It is indeed a very good upgrade I just don't feel it's the best value when you're already looking at 400$ spendings.

What is your display settings and rest of the system like? If you're sticking to 1080p and just wanna max settings there then I suppose you're good to go but if you've a 1440p panel and a competent CPU+Memory then I'd prefer to save up another month for the 5700XT.

A good power supply like a CX shouldn't be so expensive and already does the trick for you.

Also thanks!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

What is your display settings and rest of the system like?

I'm looking to max out a 144Hz 1080p monitor and have a secondary 60Hz 1080p. I sometimes felt like since I got the second 1080p one (had a lower res secondary before) that performance just on the desktop while gaming was a bit choppy on the second display, 

competent CPU+Memory

Currently a Ryzen 5 1600 and decent memory (sth like 2666 MHz or so).

I am planing to slowly slowly upgrade every component. First GPU because I'll benefit the most there I feel like, then I am planing on picking up either a 2nd gen Ryzen or a sth similar from intel, depending on deals I could find.

6 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

A good power supply like a CX shouldn't be so expensive and already does the trick for you.

Yeah my pricing was a bit outdated there, I found a good 80+ Gold 500W for around 65€

4 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

I found a good 80+ Gold 500W for around 65€

Can you be more specific about the power supply? 80+ Ratings are meaningless on the regards of quality and reliability.

5 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Currently a Ryzen 5 1600 and decent memory (sth like 2666 MHz or so).

This is not the best setup for high refresh rate 144hz, you may get CPU bound more often than not so in light to the monitor and system I'll reconsider myself that the RX5700 or RTX 2060S is indeed applicable as a balanced pairing.

The Reference RX 5700 will be the loudest under operation, it's up to you if that's an annoyance or not... the RTX 2060S is the most efficient and silent of the bunch and if you pick the aftermarket RX 5700 you can flash it's BIOS with a RX 5700XT one and gain a good performance bump so it's up to you to decide which way you'll go, the videos below might be nice to check on:

Spoiler

Personal Desktop":

Can you be more specific about the power supply?

A bequiet pure power 11

12 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

This is not the best setup for high refresh rate 144hz, you may get CPU bound more often than not

True, which is why next month I am planing on buying a new CPU, motherboard and RAM.

24 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

pick the aftermarket RX 5700 you can flash it's BIOS with a RX 5700XT one and gain a good performance bump so it's up to you to decide which way you'll go, the videos below might be nice to check on:

Interesting, but I think at that point I'd just go for a XT model. 

29 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The Reference RX 5700 will be the loudest under operation, it's up to you if that's an annoyance or not...

It'll also run very hot, won't it?

31 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

the RTX 2060S is the most efficient and silent of the bunch

And better driver support etc, is that still the case as much as it used to be a couple of years ago?

26 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

A bequiet pure power 11

That should be good enough then.

26 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

True, which is why next month I am planing on buying a new CPU, motherboard and RAM.

You might wanna think it through... since you'll need at least the R5 3600 and faster memory to get a notable gain in "fps potential" if the current setup is adequate stick to it until the next generation... what you got will by all means ensure 60fps on Triple A (most of the time) and be 100fps+ on e-sports for sure.

28 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Interesting, but I think at that point I'd just go for a XT model. 

Fair enough, so I'd say there's not so much incentive to go with a higher end model of the RX 5700.

28 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

It'll also run very hot, won't it?

Temperature alone shouldn't be that much of a concern, the GPU itself can handle temps on the mid 80's fine the issue really lies mostly on the acoustics.

41 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

And better driver support etc, is that still the case as much as it used to be a couple of years ago?

Yes, to a degree nVidia is often more hassle free.

Personal Desktop":

14 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

That should be good enough then.

You might wanna think it through... since you'll need at least the R5 3600 and faster memory to get a notable gain in "fps potential" if the current setup is adequate stick to it until the next generation... what you got will by all means ensure 60fps on Triple A (most of the time) and be 100fps+ on e-sports for sure.

Fair enough, so I'd say there's not so much incentive to go with a higher end model of the RX 5700.

Temperature alone shouldn't be that much of a concern, the GPU itself can handle temps on the mid 80's fine the issue really lies mostly on the acoustics.

Yes, to a degree nVidia is often more hassle free.

Okay, thanks so much for all the help with this! Very much appreciated :) 

I have to consider all of this now...

On one hand I have less potential hassle and better acoustics for a bit more money.

On the other I have better performance, and much more interesting bundled deals, something I completely forgot about:

With the 5700 I get Borderlands 3 and 3 months of xbox game pass, which both are really nice! With the 2060S I get the new COD game which I am not interested in at all. Wouldn't even get it tbh XD 

Having written this I think I am now leaning towards AMDs offering. Yes the card will be louder, but I think it wouldn't be too bad. 

And a 5700XT I think for me specifically isn't a viable option. As you said, I'd leave performance on the table so for an extra 100€ I wouldn't benefit from it much. Instead I can get a better cooler for my current CPU and better RAM. 

Gawd damn. 

After researching the 5700s stability and overall reliability a bit more I am more conflicted again. 

It seems like there are a ton of issues with the card still. So I could either be lucky and be happy with it or not... 

Okay, so while I tried to decide the 2060S went out of stock and the other 2060S are way more expensive and I actually found a 5700 for just 296€ and because I didn't want it to go out of stock too I just bought it! 

Wish me luck that I don't have stability issues ?

10 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i would just go for a 5700 xt ( asrock for example ) custom cooler 5700xt for 415euro, i think price performance its best to get 5700 xt

I would go with the Red Dragon, proven to be a solid cooler and Red Devil PCB for around that price...

On 10/4/2019 at 11:22 PM, SliceT said:

I would go with the Red Dragon

The cheapest AIB card would have been 70€ more and after watching some comparison videos, for the regular 5700 it doesn't seem worth that much more.