DBZ or Kai

Redrooster
Go to solution Solved by Redrooster,

This is one of those things were you have to weigh your options. I'm on ep 52 of the original Dragon Ball and I don't know if I can sit through 200 episodes of filler in the original DBZ. I think I'm going to stick to Kai (as long as it's finished) Depending on how I feel when I get finished with OG dragon ball, I might stick with the original DBZ and just follow an online guide to skip the filler episodes.

There don't seem to be any wrong answers here, but I'm leaning towards Kai at the moment.

I'm 10% through the original dragon ball and I want to know which version of Z I should watch

I have heard that Kai is somewhat of a trimming and a remaster of the original Z series, but I also hear that trimming the filler kills the suspense.

From what I hear, Kai is more accurate to the manga (but I have no interest in the manga) some people prefer the original voice acting, while others prefer the remake.

I plan on watching each series in english (I'm not about to read hundreds of hours of words)

I wish there was a simpler "A is better than B, hands down" what do you guys think?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

Did a quick google search; Kai doesn't have the fillers like Z, but end after the Cell saga.

Last time I watched DBZ, it was at Majin Buu saga or so, (years ago during high school or so)

Yeah Kai doesn't contain all of the fillers

Personally I'd just watch the original. Kai ends at the Cell saga and then you'd have to switch to the original to finish the Buu saga and continue onto Super which also uses the original voice actors (so you'd be watching up to the cell with different ones then after that the original). You can just skip filler episodes yourself.

7 hours ago, Redrooster said:

I have heard that Kai is somewhat of a trimming and a remaster of the original Z series, but I also hear that trimming the filler kills the suspense.

I can only tell you that the obscene amount of filler that is DBZ, is why I stopped buying/watching all things dragon ball in the 90s; started to hate all things dragon ball; and strongly recommend to anyone not waste their time and money on any of it. 

Sailor Moon and Card captor are better and far less insulting.  However trigun, escaflowne, 12 kingdoms(12K Translation Projects sub is by far the most engrossing version IMO, english dubs voice actors are shameless hacks) and the original Berserk(don't know about the remake) are actually worth peoples time.

If you want a long winded series, watch inuyasha and spare yourself dragonball altogether.

I prefer Kai.  they did eventually release the Final Chapters (last Year in the UK) which included the Majn Buu Saga so is complete.

They work well without all the filler as that was really bad about the original Dragon ball Z

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

From the fragments of original Z that I've watched, pacing is really in line with how the memes portray it as. In larger fights, it is roughly one move per episode and a lot of charge-up or shouting which makes the original Z feel too drawn out. For rough pacing, the larger, saga ending fights in original Dragon Ball would take maybe twice the time for the same type of fight in non-Kai Z.

Render first, questions later, regrets possible.

I second InuYasha and Trigun (heck, Trigun can be finished in a couple weeks if you knock out 3 or 4 episodes a night).

As for DBZ vs. DBZ Kai: I say original. There was a website way back when that listed all the episodes that were necessary to follow the story/match up with the manga, and cut out all the filler. I even recall someone having the chutzpah to edit the episodes down to match the list (some of the edits were partial episodes). So, if you come across that playlist, I say go for that one. If voice changes mid-show are something you care for, then go original. Otherwise, Kai should be good enough.

Oooorrr... You can just watch DBZ:Abridged.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

On 10/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, shaz2sxy said:

I prefer Kai.  they did eventually release the Final Chapters (last Year in the UK) which included the Majn Buu Saga so is complete.

They work well without all the filler as that was really bad about the original Dragon ball Z

well, If Kai is finished, Im probably gonna go with that. I can watch 150 episodes of the original dragon ball, but i dunno if i can watch 300 of dbz (which going by the size of dbz kai, there are 200 episodes of filler in og dbz)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

This is one of those things were you have to weigh your options. I'm on ep 52 of the original Dragon Ball and I don't know if I can sit through 200 episodes of filler in the original DBZ. I think I'm going to stick to Kai (as long as it's finished) Depending on how I feel when I get finished with OG dragon ball, I might stick with the original DBZ and just follow an online guide to skip the filler episodes.

There don't seem to be any wrong answers here, but I'm leaning towards Kai at the moment.

I also hear Kai has more consistent voice acting