My .BAT does not run in windows 8.1. Why?

muito_gostoso

hI, guys.

i have a program in .bat that points to and executable to install a windows software, the problem is, in windows 7 works fine, i copy the files and run the .bat and all is ok the setup install the files to c:programs file/ etc/etc.

so in windows 8.1 when i run the fun just like win 7, the software send an error  "r use administrator command prompt to launch this program".

i used the windows+x and then open the command prompt as admin, but even in that case does not work all, just simply does nothing. i recheck my process instalation in win 7 a couple of times but still does not works in windows 8.1.

so, does anybody know a workaround to launch .BAT programs in windows 8.1.

thank you.

It sounds like a function may have been altered and is no longer supported.

If you go to the end of the file and add the line:

pause

Save/Exit it will prevent the script from closing after it fails allowing you to go back and read the error messages.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It sounds like a function may have been altered and is no longer supported.

If you go to the end of the file and add the line:

pause

Save/Exit it will prevent the script from closing after it fails allowing you to go back and read the error messages.

well, i recheck the installation, and the thing is the program is an .iso file and i mount the iso with daemon tool, with windows 8.1.

then in the batch i point to the cd mounted to copy the files to my harddrive.

i need to do this because the program is old, and there is no a "setup.exe".

maybe windows 8.1 cant point to cd rom drive from batch or what else?

im thinking why not.

2 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

right, let me check that.

How large is this batch file(number of lines)? Is it particularly complicated? If it starts by giving you a permissions issue it could still be permissions related (Windows has had it's own security revampped a fair bit between the two OS's) or when the batch file executes you scroll back and see a bunch of:

'[command]' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Then that'd be the result of a support incompatibility and the .BAT would need to be rewritten for Windows 8.1

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

How large is this batch file(number of lines)? Is it particularly complicated? If it starts by giving you a permissions issue it could still be permissions related (Windows has had it's own security revampped a fair bit between the two OS's) or when the batch file executes you scroll back and see a bunch of:

'[command]' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Then that'd be the result of a support incompatibility and the .BAT would need to be rewritten for Windows 8.1

i need to do this because the program is old, and there is no a "setup.exe"

37 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

well forgot details of the script, i write this years ago, and now i need to use win 8.1 sadly.

1 minute ago, muito_gostoso said:

i need to do this because the program is old, and there is no a "setup.exe"

Are you able to launch the program directly from the CD?

32 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you able to launch the program directly from the CD?

no, i cant.

first, i need to copy a 32 bit files to my temp directory, to convert the program to 32 bit.

second. i launch the instalation with the .bat 

third. the setup beggins and the files are copied to my hard drive fro the cd.

the main problem is , this is very old program from 2001 more or less, and the file in the temp directory are usefull to make program run in the new operative systems. 

What OS was this software originally designed for?

Have you considered running it in a virtual machine?

Are you not able to locate a suitable updated replacement?

20 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What OS was this software originally designed for?

Have you considered running it in a virtual machine?

Are you not able to locate a suitable updated replacement?

it was for windows 2000/windows xp.

im lucky it works with windows 7.

i tried in a virtual machine but it does not work even with a copy of windows 7, i spend 2 days whith a virtual machines and nothing.

thank you for your help.

35 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

it was for windows 2000/windows xp.

im lucky it works with windows 7.

i tried in a virtual machine but it does not work even with a copy of windows 7, i spend 2 days whith a virtual machines and nothing.

thank you for your help.

What type of program is it? What does it do?

46 minutes ago, muito_gostoso said:

first, i need to copy a 32 bit files to my temp directory, to convert the program to 32 bit.

Unless it's source code directly there is no way to convert a program from (i assume 16 bits) to 32 bits so these files do something else.

What are the files being copied to the temp folder ?. They are certainly not dll otherwise they would need to go in one of the many systems.

I assume your windows 7 worked because it was a 32 bit install and not a 64 bits.

Here's something that may help you out.

7zip can open ISO files and extract them to a folder as if they're archives.

So you can use the command line version (which installs with regular 7zip) to unpack the ISO in a folder.

7z.exe e -o"c:\temp\path\to\extract\" "x:\path\to\iso_file.iso"

note no space after -o , if it doesn't work open the help file from the installation folder.

Also, ImDisk Toolkit allows you to create RAM drives or optical drives (to load your iso, like daemon tools) : https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/

You could create a RAM drive, copy contents of ISO in it and then save the virtual hard drive as a disk image file, to load it whenever you're gonna need it again.

May even be able to run the installer directly from the ram hard drive, unless the installer checks if media is actually a dvd/cd it should work.

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same subject.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv