Something keeps waking/ restarting my PC?

tJuggernaut29

recently my laptop has been waking up from hibernate / restarting on its own. (including randomly in my laptop bag causing itself to get quite hot and drain battery)

I use Hibernate when I shut off my PC, and have disabled any peripherals from being able to wake my PC in device manager.

In the power settings I also disabled sleep timers / schedulers 

When the PC restarts itself, it displays what I assume is the default windows startup screen (green trees and stuff) not my custom startup image.

I believe a software program is causing the random restarts because it does not reopen things like chrome when logged in, unlike windows update restarts.

How do I disable software from being able to wake / restart my PC?

Thanks 

9 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

recently my laptop has been waking up from hibernate / restarting on its own. (including randomly in my laptop bag causing itself to get quite hot and drain battery)

I use Hibernate when I shut off my PC, and have disabled any peripherals from being able to wake my PC in device manager.

When the PC restarts itself, it displays what I assume is the default windows startup screen (green trees and stuff) not my custom startup image.

I believe a software program is causing the random restarts because it does not reopen things like chrome when logged in, unlike windows update restarts.

Thanks 

Any laptop details like the specs, the company and the list of apps installed? It would be great if you could share those

10 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Thanks 

Try running these in a command window as admin.

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

powercfg -waketimers

If it's something obvious (like a device or program) it might show up in one of those.  These have helped me previously.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Thanks 

By the looks of it, it seems like a wake timer has been enabled which can be turned off in the power options in the control panel.

https://lifehacker.com/how-find-out-what-woke-up-your-computer-last-1550549116

https://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/

These guides should help you.

Event viewer would also be a great option to check what has been waking up your PC 

2 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Event viewer would also be a great option to check what has been waking up your PC 

As said in the post, I already disabled wake timers and that did not fix it

I did find these in event viewer :

The previous system shutdown at 5:02:42 PM on ‎10/‎2/‎2019 was unexpected.

: The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

10 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

powercfg -waketimers

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.356]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
NONE

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 11:38:30 PM on 10/3/2019.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

idk what to make of this though

11 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Any laptop details like the specs, the company and the list of apps installed? It would be great if you could share those

image.png.b0d3d9cf29755664e987ca00365d0d3a.png 

7 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.356]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
NONE

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 11:38:30 PM on 10/3/2019.
  Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Universal Orchestrator Start' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

idk what to make of this though

Under Task Scheduler --> Library --> Microsoft --> Windows --> UpdateOrchestrator one of those tasks has the ability to wake the computer.

Example.

image.png.e4463c8265897374389a1d91ecfe1119.png

I suspect these have something to do with Windows Update, but not sure.  Change settings here at your own risk.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

5 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Under Task Scheduler --> Library --> Microsoft --> Windows --> UpdateOrchestrator one of those tasks has the ability to wake the computer.

It is asking for a password, but my windows log-on doesnt work (this PC only has a local account, not a microsoft one)

image.png.7526406baa4301e8dbef4c3dcd11629a.png

26 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

It is asking for a password, but my windows log-on doesnt work (this PC only has a local account, not a microsoft one)

Mine gives me the same credentials request if I try to modify the settings, so my guess is it's not something you're supposed to mess with.

The commands above I've used to see if something like a USB device of LAN request caused the computer to wake.  Those are easy fixes.  Sorry, but I'm out of suggestions for you on this one.  Hopefully someone else can chime in.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, SeanSo said:

Download PSTools (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools) and unzip it to c:\Temp\PSTools

• Click Start 
  • Type cmd
  • Right click and Run As Administrator
  • type: cd c:\Temp\PSTools 
  • hit enter
  • type: psexec -s -i cmd.exe 
  • hit enter
  • in the new window 
  • type: taskschd.msc 
  • hit enter
  • Disable the task and click ok

I have the same issue on my PC,  so I just don't use sleep / hibernation anymore... :/

will this permanently fix it? 

in my experience if you disable a task in Windows it will just randomly turn itself on again, so I'm curious how and if this is any different? 

downloaded this tool long ago btw,  just never tested it because I couldn't imagine it'd actually work lol...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity