Monitor for competitive gaming

johnsonwild

After doing my own research I came up with that the asus-rog-swift-pg258q-245-1920x1080-240hz-monitor-pg258q would fit my pc since I am going to buy a high end one. I figured that 240hz would be the best option for me since I will be play first person shooter games. And it will be important for faster reaction time.

What monitor do you think would fit my needs?

is this monitor too small, should I get a bigger one?

Since my aiming style is flicking. I think that 240hz would be better then 165hz 1440p since it would be smoother and easier to flick.

1 minute ago, johnsonwild said:

Since my aiming style is flicking. I think that 240hz would be better then 165hz 1440p since it would be smoother and easier to flick.

If you are building a high end PC with a very good GPU honestly you should get the 1440p165hz monitor.

A Monitor can be the longest lasting piece of your computer, invest in the best you can get to make the most out of it... 1440p is amazing for a desktop, up to 27inch is pretty much the same 4k experience but runs better and 165hz is by all means enough for e-sports.

In fact 240hz is more placebo and gimmick than anything, it gets to a point the framerate gap is so narrow it becomes rather imperceptible to the eye and it won't feel any more smooth or responsive than a good 165hz monitor.

That is also without talking about the fact many 240hz monitors have insufficient GTG and Input Lag to make the most out of the refresh rate.

This video explains the reasons why 240hz doesn't make sense even for "professional CS:GO players" in fact it's no wonder all championship tournaments still uses 144hz monitors.

Then think about it, you're sacrificing image quality and resolution to get a higher refresh rate that will not make you a better player... so what if you decide you also wanna play a slow pace single player game at some point? watch a movie? you'll not have any of the extra eye candy which would be very much welcome specially if you have a high end PC that could drive it.

One last point is that even if you hit your foot on the ground and want 240hz at all cost, the 1440p165hz most likely can be reduced in resolution to 1080p and get even further refresh rate OC.

I hope this gives you a good food for thought.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

just get what shroud has

if you care about motion blur and shit 

wait for the ips 1080p 24" monitors coming up soon

dont get 1440p or 27" period.

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

10 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

just get what shroud has

if you care about motion blur and shit 

wait for the ips 1080p 24" monitors coming up soon

dont get 1440p or 27" period.

IPS has a very wide range of switch time for pixels, same with VA. They are not all the same. 

And 1440 is very much the sweetspot for monitors these days. So why not?

Also what IPS 24" monitors?

144hz IPS 24" 1080p is coming out

1440p is not a sweet spot. Peiord lol

no competitive gamer has 1440p end of story

19 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

144hz IPS 24" 1080p is coming out

Which one. Cuz 144hz 24" 1080p has been out for quite a few years.....

20 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

Peiord lol

no competitive gamer has 1440p end of story

Name an actual e-sports pro gamer that uses IPS over TN because its better for competetiveness and not a sponsorship. 

If you are going for IPS, then also get 1440p, because there arent any downsides and you just get a better monitor. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Which one. Cuz 144hz 24" 1080p has been out for quite a few years.....

Name an actual e-sports pro gamer that uses IPS over TN because its better for competetiveness and not a sponsorship. 

If you are going for IPS, then also get 1440p, because there arent any downsides and you just get a better monitor. 

1080p IPS 144hz, no it hasnt

theyre coming out with 1ms gtg

11 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

1080p IPS 144hz, no it hasnt

theyre coming out with 1ms gtg

While 24" is not actually thing

Both 27" in 1ms gtg 1080p and 1440p IPS are out. 

So why not just get a 1440p 27" 1ms gtg monitor? Its just a better monitor.

no its not "just a better monitor"

thats a horrible opinion
go get a 50" ips

because its just a better monitor

?

3 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

no its not "just a better monitor"

thats a horrible opinion

Ok, please explain whats worse with a 1440p 144hz IPS 1ms gtg panel. 

You can run it at 1080p. You get more pixels, its bigger with more realestate. 

And thats not even mentioning the quick VA panels out there. And the real reason why TN is often cited as the best for fps gaming.

Edit: also please learn to quote.

the scaling of 1080p to 1440p is disgusting

EDIT: no

also 27" inches is too big for how far away you want to sit from a monitor for hud and isnt very good for 1080p

also 1440p is doubling the pixels, you get half the fps

Just now, RelativeMono said:

the scaling of 1080p to 1440p is disgusting

no

Who says we are scaling anything? You dont have to scale anything. 

That cant possibly be the argument. 

Also please quote, otherwise people will miss your response.

And thats not even mentioning the quick VA panels out there. And the real reason why TN is often cited as the best for fps gaming.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Who says we are scaling anything? You dont have to scale anything. 

That cant possibly be the argument. 

Also please quote, otherwise people will miss your response.

"You can run it at 1080p. You get more pixels, its bigger with more realestate."

that is called scaling

im not trying to debate with you, its clear you have no skill in fps games.

4 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

"You can run it at 1080p. You get more pixels, its bigger with more realestate."

that is called scaling

im not trying to debate with you, its clear you have no skill in fps games.

Im not talking about more pixels when uscaling, but you can also upscale. 

You can also just run the content at 1080p not upscaled. And you have a 1440p screen for everything else.  Because thats the wonders of not being stuck with a 1080p display

Since when did skill in fps games have anything to do with monitors? 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Im not talking about more pixels when uscaling, but you can also upscale. 

You can also just run the content at 1080p not upscaled. And you have a 1440p screen for everything else.  Because thats the wonders of not being stuck with a 1080p display

Since when did skill in fps games have anything to do with monitors? 

running the "content" at 1080p is upscaled, YOU MEAN WINDOWED?

just no

nononononono

skill in fps games means you wouldnt ask that, thats what it has to do with monitors

13 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

running the "content" at 1080p is upscaled, YOU MEAN WINDOWED?

Well, thats one option, you can also iirc run the monitor ditectly at 1080p.

Also, give a reason why you cant run it windowed, its not like you give up anything when you have a 27" monitor.

14 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

skill in fps games means you wouldnt ask that, thats what it has to do with monitors

Skill in fps games doesnt mean a whole lot. And you can also run the game at 1440p. 

Youve yet to give an actual downside that hasnt got solutions. And issue you have with it to begin with is. "Oof i dont like ze upscale"

Also, 27" 1080p 1ms gtg IPS monitors. 

And if your were actually super competetive Pro for some reason, TN panels are king. 

tn panels have too much motion blur

but i use them yeah

youre giving nothing but invalid solutions

windowed gives a lot of input delay

running the monitor at 1080p on a 1440p monitor still adds scale blur

27" is just bad for 1080p and the size is bad for peripheral blur

im done replying though

You can run 1080p on a 1440p monitor just using 1920*1080 of the pixels iirc. Not adding scale blur

windowed gives a lot of input delay

Depends on the monitor used but there is some. 

12 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

You can also just use the better 27" 1440p monitor and sit slightly farer back. 

12 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

tn panels have too much motion blur

but i use them yeah

TN panels. The panels who are known to have the faster pixels and are preffered for e-sports gaming. Yes sure. 

For OP it makes more sense to get a 1440p monitor and tweak it if he has to.

and when he gets it

@op make sure you reply when you get the 1440p 27" and tell me how much you regret it

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

also 1440p is doubling the pixels, you get half the fps

You don't even know what hardware specs OP has and what games they want to play... many "competitive" games will run just fine at 1440p on midrange hardware at or above 140Hz. Thinking of CS:GO for instance. So perhaps ask them to clarify instead of guessing...?

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

One last point is that even if you hit your foot on the ground and want 240hz at all cost, the 1440p165hz most likely can be reduced in resolution to 1080p and get even further refresh rate OC.

To be absolutely fair, scaling on a setup like this would be a bit of a concern. Ideally if you're buying a 1440p monitor you'll want to run it at 1440p, otherwise you might as well spare some money and get a 1080p panel.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

To be absolutely fair, scaling on a setup like this would be a bit of a concern. Ideally if you're buying a 1440p monitor you'll want to run it at 1440p, otherwise you might as well spare some money and get a 1080p panel.

But you get the choice to use it at 1440p where it is applicable and use it at 1080p@200hz on CS:GO... not like his "competitive self" would mind Interpolation then.

It's my two cents, cheers :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

41 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

But you get the choice to use it at 1440p where it is applicable and use it at 1080p@200hz on CS:GO... not like his "competitive self" would mind Interpolation then.

It's my two cents, cheers :3

you dont get one or the other if you have any sense of quality

1080p native is sharper than 1080p on a 1440p monitor

and 1080p not scaled with black bars is smaller than 1080p on a 24"

and you cant play 1440p 144hz monitors at 200hz 1080p are you two trolling?

Its not a CRT

You could get a 1440p 144Hz monitor as a more balanced option since you're moving from 60Hz 1080p and it will be a huge upgrade, resolution too. Depends on your specs I guess. Could get a 1080p if you don't care much about it, but really anyone moving to a high refresh rate monitor for the first time 144Hz is more than enough for them. 240Hz is not something that's needed to be competitive, 144Hz definitely helps. Especially if you're not at pro level, also, those who had high refresh rate monitor for a long time now, 240Hz can be an upgrade for them.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |