Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seee the state im in nooow

Intel Concedes HEDT, Practically slashes pricing in half with Cascade Lake X

8 hours ago, porina said:

Wonder what % of people who posts on this thread have ever seriously considered 1k CPUs?

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

1K+ once a few years is fine, but not like 2.5K at one go, LOL

I have a 2.5-year old system (i.e. 2017) with a 7700K that I'm now upgrading to a 9900K, to about double the performance. Between the 2 chips that's already close to $1K, not even counting the mobo swap.

Meanwhile my main rig sporting a $1K 5960X I bought in 2014 is still chugging along nicely, and counting the performance I get out the 30% overclock I have on it (since day 1) it's still very relevant - the best I could get today (with a 3900X) would only result in about 30% improvement, aka not worth a change and probably won't be for another year or 2.

I was previously hung on the $300-500 level becasue a $1K CPU seemed completely ridiculous, but looking back it's probably the best choice I've made on any system build. Would totally recommend spending a lot on a build that lasts (and just as importantly provides you with higher performance that entire time) than multiple lower amounts.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I have a 2.5-year old system (i.e. 2017) with a 7700K that I'm now upgrading to a 9900K, to about double the performance. Between the 2 chips that's already close to $1K, not even counting the mobo swap.

Meanwhile my main rig sporting a $1K 5960X I bought in 2014 is still chugging along nicely, and counting the performance I get out the 30% overclock I have on it (since day 1) it's still very relevant - the best I could get today (with a 3900X) would only result in about 30% improvement, aka not worth a change and probably won't be for another year or 2.

I was previously hung on the $300-500 level becasue a $1K CPU seemed completely ridiculous, but looking back it's probably the best choice I've made on any system build. Would totally recommend spending a lot on a build that lasts (and just as importantly provides you with higher performance that entire time) than multiple lower amounts.

I would highly disagree. There are two things to consider here. One is that you bought an expensive cpu during the start of a period of time where CPU development stagnated hard. There were little to no meaningful performance improvements to be had with each new generation of CPU. On the contrary you bought the 7700k at a time when a huge amount of innovation started in the CPU segment which caused the 7700k to be outdated within less than a year of release. Also you older CPU had more cores. Higher core count cpus just hold up better in general especially when more and more things are being optimized for higher core count cpus. Now hugh core count cpus are readily available and quite cheap so you don't have to pay and arm and a leg to get more than 4 cores like you did a long time ago. Anyways I highly doubt that buying an 18 core cpu now will be better than buying a 12 core cpu for half the price for anything but professional type applications. 

Hmmm....I still have my EVGA x299 Dark.  Sell my z390 Dark/9900k combo and buy a 10980xe?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 2080 ti FTW3 Hydrocopper || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 16gb 4200MHz C17

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

One is that you bought an expensive cpu during the start of a period of time where CPU development stagnated hard. There were little to no meaningful performance improvements to be had with each new generation of CPU. On the contrary you bought the 7700k at a time when a huge amount of innovation started in the CPU segment which caused the 7700k to be outdated within less than a year of release

I agree, but that doesn't change the fact that... regardless of the "bumps" in progress I had 9900K performance for 4 full years before it even came out, and for just an extra $500. 

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Anyways I highly doubt that buying an 18 core cpu now will be better than buying a 12 core cpu for half the price for anything but professional type applications. 

I don't know. At the time I bought my 7700K everybody seemed to agree that more than 4 cores wasn't useful for anything but professional applications, and that since increased core counts were on the horizon it was going to be the "last single thread king" as it was expected those higher core counts would come with single thread penalty - but none of that happened, more cores have been useful, and newer gens even improved single thread perf..

I have regular tasks (video renderings) that have managed to peg my 8 cores to 100% without a dip since several years ago, and we can count on further improvements to software in the future so I'd feel confident buying a 18-24 core part now knowing that even if I'm not making the most use of it just now, it's going to last me 6 years and by then it will.

It'd still be looking at a part that manages to boost single / low thread count freqs significantly above all core boost though of course so as to get the most of it in the meantime.Nobody thought the 5960X was worth it at the time I bought it either.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

These prices are still bad when core/thread count is taken into consideration and compared against AMD's current offerings.

Not to mention the new Threadripper lineup based on Ryzen 2 is less then 2 months away and intel have still not architecturally fixed the dozen security vulnerabilities their 14 nm process has that doesn't effect AMD.

Intel is obviously desperate enough to drop prices but clearly not so to the extent of being price competitive for yet another generation.

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

small retail update:

Talk about dropping the ball on this one.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

kflnakr9fho31.jpg.a04f4625158e93eb002ffd271c5275ff.jpg

Spoiler

How to free up space on your SSD

Currently Playing: *Pokémon Moon* / *Path of Exile*

Spoiler

Where I was Mentioned:   

Mentioned on 9/30/20      in  TechLinked @ (1:54)

Mentioned on 10/7/20      in  TechLinked @ (1:59)

Mentioned on 10/16/20    in  TechLinked @ (4:06) 

Mentioned on 10/21/20    in  TechLinked @ (1:22) 

Spoiler

Kymatica Revision 3.5:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.3GHz Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti ~ TU116-400-A1 ~ (OC 6G 2x Windforce) Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB @ 2133MHz @ 9-10-11-28 SSD: Crucial M500 240GB (OS/Programs) HDD1: WD 1TB Blue (Games/Storage/Media) HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 7.2K 500GB (Backup) HDD3: WD Caviar 7.2K 400GB (Backup) HDD4: WD Elements 4TB External WDBWLG0040HBK-NESN (Backup/Additional Storage)  CPU Cooling: Lamptron FC-FC2-B Fan ControllerCorsair Hydro Series H100 in Pull (w/ 2x Delta FFB1212EH 120mm) Case Fans: Noctua NF F12 industrialPPC-2000 (x3 120mm) PSU: Seasonic X-Series X-1050 1050W Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 Monitor: Samsung C27F396 Curved 27-Inch Freesync Monitor Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm Trigger-Z (Cherry MX Brown Switches) Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD / Logitech MX518 Mousepad: Corsair MM350 Premium Audio: Logitech X 2.1 Speaker System Headset: Corsair VOID Stereo Gaming Headset (w/ Sennheiser 3D G4ME 7.1 Surround Amplifier) OS: Windows 10 Pro (Version 2004)

Ok I searched the thread for "November" and found nothing.

The key thing about this launch to me is that Intel has stated (to third party reviewers) that Availability is going to be in November. This is obviously when the 3950X is supposed to hard launch and TR-3 should hopefully hard launch. I could be mistaken but I'm under the impression that Intel is planning to "paper launch" (see: lift performance NDA) sometime in October. So while everyone will be very excited to buy the fancy new chips, they won't be able to until more or less the time AMD will have something that is, at a minimum, competitive.

I really hope that all third party reviewers make this extremely clear. By the time any normal consumer can get their hands on one of these things, there's either going to be other options on the table or it's going to be an AWFUL time to buy them, as new options will be on the table very soon. I'd really dig into Intel on this, but at least they are telling the reviewers when "Availability" is rather than just putting a dozen chips into the supply chain and calling it a full launch.

(All of this information is hearsay from the GN livestream. I could be entirely wrong.)