Cheapest Board for i9 9900?

Planning on building a editing PC for Adobe CC (Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom) and Avid Media Composer. Just want to get some final thoughts on what the cheapest motherboard you would pair with the i9 9900? Currently I have the Gigabyte Z390 UD as I won't be overclocking due to the CPU.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

28 minutes ago, mrmachew said:

Planning on building a editing PC for Adobe CC (Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom) and Avid Media Composer. Just want to get some final thoughts on what the cheapest

Did you already buy the CPU? Because an R7 2700 or 3700X is a better value more than likely.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Did you already buy the CPU? Because an R7 2700 or 3700X is a better value more than likely.

That's funny, I thought Intel was much preferred over AMD for Adobe. 

3 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

That's funny, I thought Intel was much preferred over AMD for Adobe. 

You get intel quick sync with some parts of premiere like some codecs, or effects, but everything can also use your GPU anyways, and it's not like magic.

Like Ryzen will still be perfectly fine, and depending on your budget can be $200 cheaper, which is a GPU upgrade or more SSD storage and things like that.

What budget/country for the whole PC? and what's your monitor set up?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

4 hours ago, mrmachew said:

I have the Gigabyte Z390 UD as I won't be overclocking due to the CPU.

Hey there!

You'll be perfectly fine, I use a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX which has about the same if not even inferior VRM capacity and I am able to sustain it's default Turbo Boost values with extended no TDP limit etc all that perfectly fine.

Doesn't mean it isn't stressing the CPU and Mobo already but the hardware seems to be able to handle it okay, you can even try to BCLK it then for extra frequency, it's possible to try stability at 102.98mhz or lower on base clock.

I do think you should get a good cooler though, I thought I'd be fine with this Shadow Rock Slim but the chip does get almost toasty even if it doesn't throttle.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You get intel quick sync with some parts of premiere like some codecs, or effects, but everything can also use your GPU anyways, and it's not like magic.

Like Ryzen will still be perfectly fine, and depending on your budget can be $200 cheaper, which is a GPU upgrade or more SSD storage and things like that.

What budget/country for the whole PC? and what's your monitor set up?

I haven't bought the CPU yet only a PSU and a Vega 56. Budget is around £1100 in the UK. My current monitor setup is a 1080p Dell 24" but I am planning on upgrading to at least 1440p or 4K in the near future. 

Current CPU Prices in the UK for reference:

- i9 9900 £434

- i7 9700k £341

- i7 9700 £325

- Ryzen 7 3800X £361

- Ryzen 7 3700X £301

Thanks for the help!

8 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

Hey there!

You'll be perfectly fine, I use a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX which has about the same if not even inferior VRM capacity and I am able to sustain it's default Turbo Boost values with extended no TDP limit etc all that perfectly fine.

Doesn't mean it isn't stressing the CPU and Mobo already but the hardware seems to be able to handle it okay, you can even try to BCLK it then for extra frequency, it's possible to try stability at 102.98mhz or lower on base clock.

I do think you should get a good cooler though, I thought I'd be fine with this Shadow Rock Slim but the chip does get almost toasty even if it doesn't throttle.

Thats what I'm worried about (stressing the CPU too much). I am currently looking at the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo but might have to look to something a bit better.

7 minutes ago, mrmachew said:

I haven't bought the CPU yet only a PSU and a Vega 56. Budget is around £1100 in the UK. My current monitor setup is a 1080p Dell 24" but I am planning on upgrading to at least 1440p or 4K in the near future

Not a good idea to buy your PC in parts, unless those were really good deals.

like 1,100 for the rest of it? Because you can just get a 4k 60hz IPS display with this.

The 2700X is still perfectly fine, wasn't much more than the non X.

Same for the X570 board, only +$20 over an X470 board. Shouldn't have issues running 2nd gen.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/s34YJb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£193.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£166.41 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£75.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£63.75 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £544.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-02 09:09 BST+0100

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

like 1,100 for the rest of it? Because you can just get a 4k 60hz IPS display with this.

Same for the X570 board, only +$20 over an X470 board. Shouldn't have issues running 2nd gen.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£75.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£63.75 @ CCL Computers)

No the were really good deals and they will fit fine (Vega 56 - Under £200 and Corsair Vengeance 750W for £50). £1100 is the budget in total. Definitely going to have to consider Ryzen again now! All the benchmarks I have seen put the i7+i9 way ahead of Ryzen in premiere but as that video mentions thats all to do with render times and not timeline performance. I am definitely going to get 32GB of RAM as well. 

51 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Something like this then? Or am I better off returning the Vega 56 for something Nvidia based to take the advantage of CUDA acceleration when rendering now I don't have he intel CPU?

9 minutes ago, mrmachew said:

Just run the Vega 56 and see what happens, the RX 5700 isn't too much faster than it, maybe 20% at best so that price was good.

The 660p is the SSD to get right now IMO, big cache overall despite the QLC short comings.

The cheaper case will be fine, you can spend the saved money on nicer fans, or just buy a Coolermaster H500 if you want a nicer case with it's 2 200mm fans

Can also get a nicer cooler than the stock cooler, but this one might need an AM4 bracket which they'll mail for free, it's just the cheapest dual tower 120mm cooler, would stick to air cooling in general.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6DkWZf

CPU Cooler: Deepcool NEPTWIN V2.0 53.65 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£94.44 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £134.43

The ASUS Prime X570 is the best budget board if I remember right from this video.

Spoiler

for the OP:

Gigabyte Z390 UD can handle a 9900k without oc, you do not need to undervolt the CPU either. A slightly more expensive Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X will be fine as well. Do not overclock on them!

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 hour ago, mrmachew said:

Something like this then?

I wouldn't get into this but the i9 9900 is *extremely* superior at Adobe applications than the R7 2700X, your original build was pricey but better.

Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop all these Adobe applications editing tools are single threaded and depended on Intel's Ring Bus low latency link between cores, which means a snappier and smoother actual editing portion of your work which to my understanding is what matters most.

Then when it comes down to the multi-threaded intensive loads like rendering, exporting and such you can enable Intel's Quicksync iGPU hardware acceleration which aids the CPU on these tasks surprisingly well making the i9 9900 get on pair with a much more expensive Threadripper 16c/32t processor.

There's still merit to some of Streetguru's recommendations though, Intel 660p is a very worthy SSD indeed for it's pricing when looking at 1TB or 2TB and will work as a boot/storage/scratch disk amazingly well, but if you're only getting 512GB then stick to Sabrent since it's TLC.

Also yes Premiere Pro only likes CUDA Acceleration, it's implementation of OpenCL is garbage and the Vega56 will be nearly useless for this purpose.

You PSU could also be better, you don't need 750W only 550W so the $ difference would be better applicable on nicer quality unit.

I hope all these is helpful to you, cheers!

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

19 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I wouldn't get into this but the i9 9900 is *extremely* superior at Adobe applications than the R7 2700X, your original build was pricey but better.

Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop all these Adobe applications editing tools are single threaded and depended on Intel's Ring Bus low latency link between cores, which means a snappier and smoother actual editing portion of your work which to my understanding is what matters most.

Then when it comes down to the multi-threaded intensive loads like rendering, exporting and such you can enable Intel's Quicksync iGPU hardware acceleration which aids the CPU on these tasks surprisingly well making the i9 9900 get on pair with a much more expensive Threadripper 16c/32t processor.

There's still merit to some of Streetguru's recommendations though, Intel 660p is a very worthy SSD indeed for it's pricing when looking at 1TB or 2TB and will work as a boot/storage/scratch disk amazingly well, but if you're only getting 512GB then stick to Sabrent since it's TLC.

Also yes Premiere Pro only likes CUDA Acceleration, it's implementation of OpenCL is garbage and the Vega56 will be nearly useless for this purpose.

You PSU could also be better, you don't need 750W only 550W so the $ difference would be better applicable on nicer quality unit.

I hope all these is helpful to you, cheers!

Small correction - Photoshop and Illustrator actually prefer Zen 2 it seems

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3-AMD-Threadripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1529/

Premier Pro H.264 and H.265 are better via Quick-Sync, though. But Red RAW and NEAT video are basically identical between AMD and Intel.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3-AMD-Threadripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1535/

Lightroom benefits from the Intel low latency but it's not dramatic.

45 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Small correction - Photoshop and Illustrator actually prefer Zen 2 it seems

It's not even so much about preferring, the best part here is that Adobe  have finally started to work on their software using AMD hardware themselves (at least CPUs) so their code is starting to have entries to benefit from the good perks of the Zen architecture.

But if you look closely to the results Intel and AMD are pretty much on a perfect balance, so it's a pick your poison situation and in light of the Ryzen 9 and Ryzen 7 inflated prices the cost to put together a Zen 2 or a Coffee Lake-Refresh is not that apart on many markets.

It really is a per individual case base here, Intel will still give a little bonus here and there.

51 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Premier Pro H.264 and H.265 are better via Quick-Sync, though. But Red RAW and NEAT video are basically identical between AMD and Intel.

It does seem to be the case, granted RED RAW is not the most mainstream footage people will work with, the catch as always is that there's specific hardware for every situation and it is bloody impossible to make one big generalization.

Quick-Sync is a great technology but as always the lack of further development on it by Adobe and Intel's inertia only hurts them.

Puget Systems does solid research but they can be a little biased here and there, have in mind they profit more from AMD builds hehe, but in this case everything is on point. I do like the idea that with a R9 3900X (or even the 3700X to an extend though at this point the 9900 gets even more appealing if money is not an issue) you can do pretty much all CPU based encode and render only with CUDA aiding on the side for certain great end results and slightly lower final file sizes.

But you do lose a few plus Intel has like previews and warping. All in all we go back down to "pick your poison".

But either is a lot better recommendation than a R7 2700X with a X570 board :P

Cheers!

Personal Desktop":

5 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

It's not even so much about preferring, the best part here is that Adobe  have finally started to work on their software using AMD hardware themselves (at least CPUs) so their code is starting to have entries to benefit from the good perks of the Zen architecture.

But if you look closely to the results Intel and AMD are pretty much on a perfect balance, so it's a pick your poison situation and in light of the Ryzen 9 and Ryzen 7 inflated prices the cost to put together a Zen 2 or a Coffee Lake-Refresh is not that apart on many markets.

It really is a per individual case base here, Intel will still give a little bonus here and there.

It does seem to be the case, granted RED RAW is not the most mainstream footage people will work with, the catch as always is that there's specific hardware for every situation and it is bloody impossible to make one big generalization.

Quick-Sync is a great technology but as always the lack of further development on it by Adobe and Intel's inertia only hurts them.

Puget Systems does solid research but they can be a little biased here and there, have in mind they profit more from AMD builds hehe, but in this case everything is on point. I do like the idea that with a R9 3900X (or even the 3700X to an extend though at this point the 9900 gets even more appealing if money is not an issue) you can do pretty much all CPU based encode and render only with CUDA aiding on the side for certain great end results and slightly lower final file sizes.

But you do lose a few plus Intel has like previews and warping. All in all we go back down to "pick your poison".

But either is a lot better recommendation than a R7 2700X with a X570 board :P

Cheers!

Wow thanks for all the info! The 750W PSU was bought just because it was a good price and cheaper than a 550W 80+ Gold so just went for it. So I think everything comes down to 2 questions now:

1. Go with the i9 9900 based system with the Gigabyte Z390 UD or go for the Ryzen 7 2700X (half the price!) based system with a slightly better motherboard, then have money left over for a new monitor?

2. Keep the Vega 56 and accept it is a better video card than a 1660 but doesn't have CUDA, or return the Vega 56 for a 1660 and get the advantage of CUDA but with a smaller amount of VRM (6GB vs 8GB). 

Feel like these are the last questions I really need to think about before making the purchase!

7 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

for the OP:

Gigabyte Z390 UD can handle a 9900k without oc, you do not need to undervolt the CPU either. A slightly more expensive Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X will be fine as well. Do not overclock on them!

Okay thanks, I would be getting the i9 9900 anyway so there won't be any overclocking!

38 minutes ago, mrmachew said:

1. Go with the i9 9900 based system with the Gigabyte Z390 UD or go for the Ryzen 7 2700X (half the price!) based system with a slightly better motherboard, then have money left over for a new monitor?

A monitor is something that can last you the most on a build, it is worth purchasing something high end because you can stick to it being perfectly up-to-date for a decade or more so I'd say it's worth save up and be patient to get one when all things are favorable.

You can always discuss what is better, 3700X, 3900X, 9700K, 9900, 9900K but the R7 2700X does not enter on this discussion at all... it's a processor that honestly makes no sense invest on when you have all those other alternatives, specially getting a really good motherboard for it is all bad money management.

40 minutes ago, mrmachew said:

2. Keep the Vega 56 and accept it is a better video card than a 1660 but doesn't have CUDA, or return the Vega 56 for a 1660 and get the advantage of CUDA but with a smaller amount of VRM (6GB vs 8GB).

Considering you seem to be going to work plenty on Adobe Premiere you *really* want that CUDA Acceleration... personally I'd return the V56 and get the GTX 1660 without thinking twice, on this matter the 8GB VRAM Buffer on the V56 means nothing.

Personal Desktop":

2 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

A monitor is something that can last you the most on a build, it is worth purchasing something high end because you can stick to it being perfectly up-to-date for a decade or more so I'd say it's worth save up and be patient to get one when all things are favorable.

You can always discuss what is better, 3700X, 3900X, 9700K, 9900, 9900K but the R7 2700X does not enter on this discussion at all... it's a processor that honestly makes no sense invest on when you have all those other alternatives, specially getting a really good motherboard for it is all bad money management.

Considering you seem to be going to work plenty on Adobe Premiere you *really* want that CUDA Acceleration... personally I'd return the V56 and get the GTX 1660 without thinking twice, on this matter the 8GB VRAM Buffer on the V56 means nothing.

This thread is turning into a full time job for you! Thanks a load! Think I'm gonna go with the 3700X as it seems to be one of the best for price to performance. Gonna return the Vega 56 for the 1660, should hopefully be quieter as well due to it not being a blower style cooler. 

3 hours ago, mrmachew said:

Well for this price it really is a great deal, it will be a very competent video editing workstation.

Just remember you'll need additional storage, 7200rpm HDDs or the cheapest high capacity SSD you can find.

Hehehe don't mention it, It was a pleasure to help you out!

Personal Desktop":

If you are going with the non K 9900, you might want to check the Asrock B365 Gaming, well capable of handling the 9900K. Solid motherboard.