Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amitjoshi

Which One is Better Python or Javascript?

1 hour ago, fringie said:

You've just made a ridiculous claim literally out of nowhere. SASS is a superset of CSS similar to how TypeScript is a superset of JavaScript - are you going to claim CSS is terrible also? I swear, every so often I come on this forum and you're making crazy claims every time. 

When I see languages whose only purpose is to transcompile to another language, it is assumed right off the bat it is to deliberately avoid writing in the language it is trasncompile to. it is as much as assembly is to machine code as typescript/coffeescript is to javascript.  it is not that difficult to understand the reason. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

The question is not which one is better but rather which one does what I need it to do. When I need to do quick prototypes I go Python, for web based applications I might mix the two, or for others just plain JavaScript. For Web-Apps I use JavaScript but there is really no reason to not use Python in some of those aspects. I used JavaScript and Python for backends however it just depends on which one will get the job done as I want it.

TL;DR:

Neither and both

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

Javascript IS a bad language. 

How so? Sure it is not a GOOD language but it gets the job done and often well, in such case wouldn't that be enough? Do I like the syntax? Not always. Is it a good language? Nope but there isn't one good programming language because they all suck in their own special ways. Object Oriented languages like C++, C#, Java have their respected marks. High-level languages like JavaScript have good use cases. Functional languages like my favorite, F#, also have perks. It depends on the job, but if it gets the job done is it a bad language?

11 hours ago, SafyreLyons-5LT said:

How so?

Because it's way too permissive and happily let's people write horrible, barely readable and unmaintainable code.  It's packed to the brim with implicit conversions and bizarre behavior that in any sane language would never ever run.  

On 10/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, geo3 said:

Because it's way too permissive and happily let's people write horrible, barely readable and unmaintainable code.  It's packed to the brim with implicit conversions and bizarre behavior that in any sane language would never ever run.  

Yeah. So many runtime bugs. It is more permissive than C compiler which will happily let you overflow a stack. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Javascript is a better tool to learn, as you can use it both for frontend (browser scripts) and backend (node.js etc.).

Python is much more fun to write in though, and as it's a more programming-oriented language (as opposed to scripting-oriented), it's much more powerful as well.

1 hour ago, Fredrik Svantesson said:

Javascript is a better tool to learn, as you can use it both for frontend (browser scripts) and backend (node.js etc.).

Python is much more fun to write in though, and as it's a more programming-oriented language (as opposed to scripting-oriented), it's much more powerful as well.

yup python is fun :) as a side project i have started making a simple message board in python and loving it (I work 40 hours a week with node)

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 10/7/2019 at 6:08 AM, Dat Guy said:

Yes.

A short list of reasons: https://github.com/denysdovhan/wtfjs

This is not a valid argument. Every languages have a lot of quirks in it.

Just take the C language, it have a awful lot of undefined behavior from its spec. Still, it's a very good language for low level stuff and the whole Linux Kernel is made of it.

I can give you a lot of wtf examples from Java, Php, Python, C, C++, Kotlin, Js, Ts ...etc.

No language is perfect. Engineering is about trade-offs.

edit: just for Python https://github.com/satwikkansal/wtfpython

1 hour ago, noyo87 said:

This is not a valid argument. Every languages have a lot of quirks in it.

Just take the C language, it have a awful lot of undefined behavior from its spec. Still, it's a very good language for low level stuff and the whole Linux Kernel is made of it.

I can give you a lot of wtf examples from Java, Php, Python, C, C++, Kotlin, Js, Ts ...etc.

No language is perfect. Engineering is about trade-offs.

Agreed and type coercion is a very powerful thing if you use it right.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 10/5/2019 at 5:21 AM, wasab said:

When I see languages whose only purpose is to transcompile to another language, it is assumed right off the bat it is to deliberately avoid writing in the language it is trasncompile to. it is as much as assembly is to machine code as typescript/coffeescript is to javascript.  it is not that difficult to understand the reason. 

I don't agree with that logic. We'll just have to agree to disagree at this point.