Browsers freeze ("not responding") temporarily when launched after boot

I'm using Windows 10 home 64 bit on an Asus rog laptop (GL552VW) with core i7 6700HQ, GTX 960M, 32GB of DDR4 RAM. The OS is installed to a SanDisk SATA m.2 SSD. Every software is up to date.

Whenever I boot my device and launch chrome or any web browser and search something, the browser freezes temporarily for about a minute. After that everything starts working just fine, like nothing ever happened. 

During the freeze the CPU usage spikes to 40-70%. Any idea what's causing that and how to fix it? I've tried reinstalling chrome, clearing browsing data and cache but it doesn't seem to work.

UPDATE: i'm now 99% certain that Windows Font Cache Service is causing this issue. I went ran services.msc and stopped the font cache service there. Launched chrome and viola! It didn't crash. It is however a temporary solution as i don't want to disable the service permanently nor do i wanna stop the service manually every time i wanna launch chrome. Setting the service to "manual" doesn't work. Chrome (or any browser) forces it to launch and crashes. I still don't know exactly what is causing the font cache service to crash the web browsers. 

20 minutes ago, Amitabh said:

I'm using Windows 10 home 64 bit on an Asus rog laptop (GL552VW) with core i7 6700HQ, GTX 960M, 32GB of DDR4 RAM. The OS is installed to a SanDisk SATA m.2 SSD. Every software is up to date.

Whenever I boot my device and launch chrome or any web browser and search something, the browser freezes temporarily for about a minute. After that everything starts working just fine, like nothing ever happened. 

During the freeze the CPU usage spikes to 40-70%. Any idea what's causing that and how to fix it? I've tried reinstalling chrome, clearing browsing data and cache but it doesn't seem to work.

Is the M.2 all of your storage or do you have an HDD for stuff like steam, origin, programs, and games? If so then it could be working the hard drive too much, therefore. causing it to stop responding. Try moving chrome to the SSD temporarily and see if the problem still consists.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Ultra 16 GB of Corsair Vengence Gigbyte B450 Aorus Pro EVGA Supernova 650 G3 Thermaltake V200 TG RGB 

3 hours ago, Sam.MP4 said:

Is the M.2 all of your storage or do you have an HDD for stuff like steam, origin, programs, and games? If so then it could be working the hard drive too much, therefore. causing it to stop responding. Try moving chrome to the SSD temporarily and see if the problem still consists.

Thanks for the response.

No, all the browsers etc. are on the SSD. In fact all my apps are installed onto that SSD or the other SATA SSD. I don't believe it's something that's being caused by a slow drive. Even the HDD i'm using is 7200RPM and is fast enough to not cause the problem, as proven during the past few years of me using the device.

I dug a little deeper and turns out the high CPU usage and the temporary freeze is being caused by Windows Font Cache Service or so i think. While it's frozen, the Windows Font Cache Service seems to be using the most resources and as soon as the browser starts responding the Windows Font Cache Service CPU usage goes back to normal. I've tried rebuilding the font cache but as soon as i launch any web browser it starts doing some funky stuff all over again. 

On 9/30/2019 at 12:29 AM, Amitabh said:

Thanks for the response.

No, all the browsers etc. are on the SSD. In fact all my apps are installed onto that SSD or the other SATA SSD. I don't believe it's something that's being caused by a slow drive. Even the HDD i'm using is 7200RPM and is fast enough to not cause the problem, as proven during the past few years of me using the device.

I dug a little deeper and turns out the high CPU usage and the temporary freeze is being caused by Windows Font Cache Service or so i think. While it's frozen, the Windows Font Cache Service seems to be using the most resources and as soon as the browser starts responding the Windows Font Cache Service CPU usage goes back to normal. I've tried rebuilding the font cache but as soon as i launch any web browser it starts doing some funky stuff all over again. 

Sorry I haven’t been able to reply I’ve been a bit busy. That sounds weird. Have you installed any fonts for windows? Have you made any changes to your system since it started happening?another troubleshooting tip is to recreate the problem and go to event viewer to see if there is error information.

Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Ultra 16 GB of Corsair Vengence Gigbyte B450 Aorus Pro EVGA Supernova 650 G3 Thermaltake V200 TG RGB 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, muito_gostoso said:

well i use slimbrowser https://www.slimbrowser.net/es/ 

i never had issues with this browser. maybe works for you.

Personally I like hot dogs.

How using Slim Browser can help resolve problem with Chrome?

• 2 months later...

Had totally forgotten about this thread. I had narrowed the problem down to Windows Font Cache Service and disabling it did the trick. It doesn't seem to be causing any other problems and it has been 5 months since. 

thanks people for the responses. image.thumb.png.883980c60af51e8e468a82d7e0dfdf84.png