Reinstall Windows on Surface Laptop 2

Indow
Go to solution Solved by Indow,
16 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just make a forum post on the microsoft forums or contact their support

or just try making the windows 10 USB again

Alright so I found the problem, I was using cheap brand USB stick called ISY bought it for like 5 euros. I purchased a new usb stick, this one is a Sandisk stick and now I don't get the "missing driver" error anymore. 

Hey guys! 

So I've done some stupid thing with this laptop, I wiped the drive and I tried to hackintosh this laptop and failed miserably, after spending a week to make this laptop runs macOS, and been told by people with experience in hackintosh that the keyboard can't be made working, I finally gave up. 

So now I try to reinstall Windows 10 back but faced a problem. I tried to install Windows using usb stick contained windows.iso burned with Rufus, but then I got this error that Windows can't be installed (check picture attached). Then I tried to follow this guide, but couldn't find the option to recover from a recovery drive, because I wiped the drive while trying to install macOS.

I don't know what to do anymore, can anyone please help me getting Windows back on this laptop?

IMG_4764.JPG

IMG_4765.JPG

IMG_4766.JPG

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

yeah your windows iso doesn't have the driver that runs the disk controller , so it doesn't know theres anywhere to write windows to

8 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Ok so I downloaded 3 files from the first link, put it on the installer USB, but when I get to the installer screen, I couldn't browse for these files.

8 hours ago, emosun said:

yeah your windows iso doesn't have the driver that runs the disk controller , so it doesn't know theres anywhere to write windows to

I downloaded 3 driver files with .msi file format, I put these files on the USB stick but couldn't browse for them on the installer screen

14 hours ago, Indow said:

I downloaded 3 driver files with .msi file format, I put these files on the USB stick but couldn't browse for them on the installer screen

Probably just make a forum post on the microsoft forums or contact their support

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Alright so I found the problem, I was using cheap brand USB stick called ISY bought it for like 5 euros. I purchased a new usb stick, this one is a Sandisk stick and now I don't get the "missing driver" error anymore. 

6 hours ago, Indow said:

Only thing I can think of is that the USB drive didn't have enough real storage for the windows 10 installer.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Only thing I can think of is that the USB drive didn't have enough real storage for the windows 10 installer.

That stick has a 64GB capacity though, and the installation went flawlessly using Sandisk USB stick with 32GB capacity.

13 minutes ago, Indow said:

That stick has a 64GB capacity though, and the installation went flawlessly using Sandisk USB stick with 32GB capacity.

Did you successfully load 64GBs onto it previously? I'm thinking it's a fake drive with only like 1-4GBs of actual space, so if it overflows it just goes back and writes over old data when you try to load it up.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you successfully load 64GBs onto it previously? I'm thinking it's a fake drive with only like 1-4GBs of actual space, so if it overflows it just goes back and writes over old data when you try to load it up.

I haven't put anything bigger than 2GB onto that drive previously, I think u might be right, I knew 5 euros was too good to be true for that capacity.