Zen 2 Threadripper not coming to X399 (unofficial)

JohnnyDiggs

Hey. Unfortunately there is not very good news, AMD has changed its mind about making X399 compatible with the new generation.
For this reason, HEDT disappeared from all calendars and the release of these processors was forced to postpone.

Since the new processor has a new memory controller and he in a single copy (instead of two as before) had to seriously change the pins. Also, the new PCI Gen 4 standard and new power pins made a special contribution.

TRX40 and TRX80 are a new generation and a new architecture. Nothing to do with the past generation.

At the moment, all information is classified and I do not have access to it.thinking.gif

I just got my 2920X  and mobo for 75% off thinking I could get a zen 2 for cheap next year, now this comes out. I'm a sad panda.

No new Zen2 Threadripper for X399.

FYI @1usmus makes the Ryzen RAM Calculator.

https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1177267648117321730?s=20 https://twitter.com/1usmus/status/1177267648117321730?s=20

Here's an alternative source (which in theory, solidifies its legitimacy):

1usmus is the creator of the DRAM Calculator for AMD Ryzen CPUs (his real name is Yuri Bubily) and his post on Overclock.net he said that AMD has removed X399 compatibility from its upcoming third-gen Ryzen Threadripper CPUs. There are lots of changes with the new Threadripper CPUs, which seem to have forced AMD into new chipsets for the new TR processors.

The new chipsets in question would be the purported TRX40 and TRX80 (really, AMD? Mix that around and it spells RTX... your competitors graphics cards) that would support the next-gen Ryzen Threadripper CPUs.

In his post, 1usmus explained: "Hey. Unfortunately, there is not very good news, AMD has changed its mind about making X399 compatible with the new generation. For this reason, HEDT disappeared from all calendars and the release of these processors was forced to postpone".

He continued: "Since the new processor has a new memory controller and he in a single copy (instead of two as before) had to seriously change the pins. Also, the new PCI Gen 4 standard and new power pins made a special contribution. TRX40 and TRX80 are a new generation and a new architecture. Nothing to do with the past generation. At the moment, all information is classified and I do not have access to it".

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67836/amds-next-gen-ryzen-threadripper-rumor-work-x399-boards/index.html 

Was honestly hoping for this, x399 wasn't really ideal for the 32 core TR2.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

50 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Um, has this been proven or?

Not necessarily proven, no.

I would say as of now it's at the level of a WCCFTech or eTeknix or VideoCardz or Fudzilla rumor/speculation article. 

What I find interesting, is the post itself (which everything is based off of), was made 20+ days ago:

TR3.jpg.fb9e5ea1969986fe818004f5afb91ac0.jpg

https://www.overclock.net/forum/28115794-post936.html

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Not necessarily proven, no.

I would say as of now it's at the level of a WCCFTech or eTeknix or VideoCardz or Fudzilla rumor/speculation article. 

What I find interesting, is the post itself (which everything is based off of), was made 20+ days ago:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/28115794-post936.html

It's only just now getting churned up, not sure why. Though it seemed likely this was on tap after the new chipsets hit the rounds of product naming. (Also, the next chipset name had been bouncing around all of H1, which is why when the conjecture there wouldn't be a TR3 came up, there was enough "bite" to the thought since nothing seemed certain.)

Chatting around about this topic, it seems like there isn't a hardware-level reason they couldn't, but making a new platform lets them change wiring anyway. Epyc chips are drop-in compatible with the entire SP3 platform, so TR should be wired in such a way it isn't an issue. What is more likely the issue is that 8 channel TR parts wouldn't be drop-in for X399. This would mean AMD would need to run out separate SKUs of TR for X399 and TRX80. That's likely what AMD doesn't want to do. This way, they can launch TR3 parts and they'll work with either 4ch or 8ch memory and it won't be an issue for the end-user. 

Also, Intel's W-series, in response to Threadripper, is also making AMD to change up the way their HEDT platform is aligned. It makes sense because TR sold incredibly well, which means there is quite the market for that type of product. Also, moving the entire TR3 lineup over to PCIe 4.0 makes things more simple. Seeing how "well" AM4 backwards compatibility is going, AMD has made a prudent call.

If this turns out to be true, I'm glad I didn't buy into x399 thinking I'd be able to get a new Threadripper chip down the line.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Only thing that makes me think this is not the case is that AMD has given a time frame for when TR2 is coming out and we have not seen enough information about new engineering sample motherboards with new sockets and chipsets at all yet, it's a bit too close to release time to have not seen any.

Doesn't make any difference to me at all really, just odd to have such a lack of everything if so much new product designs are required.

51 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

What is more likely the issue is that 8 channel TR parts wouldn't be drop-in for X399.

Could also be 6 channel to keep it out of they way of EPYC. Split platform does make the most sense to me too though.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Could also be 6 channel to keep it out of they way of EPYC. Split platform does make the most sense to me too though.

While we view Desktop socket compatibility as valuable, for stuff like TR and it's chunk of the market it doesn't make the most sense. If you're in for ~1000USD CPU, you're in for a new 300USD motherboard. If you aren't, you can still buy X399 and a TR2 part and get a wicked system. (There's a lot of HEDT buyers that buy in at the end of a generation because of platform stability reasons. LMG being one of them.)

We'll see what products pop out. We've already seen the platform show up in benchmark databases. (Sharktooth) and the 32c Zen2 part is hanging out there. It'll be interesting to see exactly what AMD is up to with the chipsets and what their purpose is. AMD may actually be using the Ryzen IOD again as a chipset to really extend the TR range. 84 PCIe 4.0 "lanes" maybe?

When the news started to come out that more memory channels were going to be supported, that was a big signal that a new chipset would be needed. I wouldn't rule out they could do a split launch, some on old chipset constrained by quad channel ram, some requiring new chipset with more.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Only thing that makes me think this is not the case is that AMD has given a time frame for when TR2 is coming out and we have not seen enough information about new engineering sample motherboards with new sockets and chipsets at all yet, it's a bit too close to release time to have not seen any.

Doesn't make any difference to me at all really, just odd to have such a lack of everything if so much new product designs are required.

That, or perhaps AMD is just keeping a tight lid on any news about the product.  We've seen how AMD can be very tight lipped when they choose to.

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Don't you mean TR3?  TR2 came out like last year.

He was probably conflating it with Zen2.  Or he just mis-typed.

To be honest..I think they postponed it a month or two because of supply issues, not because of new motherboards. That's as clear as day. Launching Navi, Ryzen, EPYC and Threadripper all at once would have been a nightmare with all the supply problems TSMC have had. They are still struggling even now, 3900x is nowhere to be seen and 3950x had to be delayed.

That's why they are only going with a first wave of Threadripper CPU's.

I can't imagine they'd change the pins with like 2 months till launch. This would have all been planned way before launch surely.

It's annoying that you can't use x399, but..I think there's a reason for that. One youtuber a while back suggested they could add some AI stuff on there, maybe to help with content creation purposes like streaming and so on..that's my bet too, and I'll be taking a look at the 24 core if that's what they intend on doing.

42 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

He was probably conflating it with Zen2.  Or he just mis-typed.

Maybe ?

It was more I forgot there has been two generations of TR because meh, same thing with a spit shine.

I'm getting the feeling 3rd gen TR might be getting delayed,  has there been a decent leak on mobo's yet? November launch isn't that far away.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Just now, Antistatic12 said:

I'm getting the feeling 3rd gen TR might be getting delayed,  has there been a decent leak on mobo's yet? November launch isn't that far away.

It won't be because they've specifically said only up to 24 cores, suggesting they are lacking in supply but have enough for one wave of the smaller threadripper parts.

There has been one or two leaks about TRX and WRX motherboards, but not that much. This is an example:

https://hothardware.com/news/asus-amd-trx40-motherboards-3rd-gen-threadripper-cpus

Hmm could make sense really. It's quite a change this time CPU wise. Besides it's not the mainstream platform too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

It was supposed to come out this month, and was delayed until November alongside the 3950x.

Was there any credible indication that TR was due this month? The first I heard about any date was November.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So AMD is pulling an Intel. 2 CPU generation before another socket change. Heh

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

18 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So AMD is pulling an Intel. 2 CPU generation before another socket change. Heh

Only on HEDT, but it isn't wholly confirmed yet. However, for the type of buyer that they deal with and the technical aspects, that's fine. Oddly, AMD will still be selling a good chunk of TR2 parts for a while, since a lot of HEDT buyers like to buy in after the next generation launches. Which might actually have more sway on this decision process than at first glance. New BIOS for X399 would cause issues with TR1/2 parts, more than likely.

• 2 weeks later...

This makes a lot of sense if the other rumors of Zen 4 being DDR5/PCIE5 are true. That way we get two generations on each chipset/socket. More would ways be nice, but 2 seems totally reasonable for an enthusiast part, especially since we appear to be in a pretty quick turnaround for major platform level overhauls these last/next few years. 

I guess I'm holding onto my 1920x until my next platform switch - which will take place in about 5 years or so.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

42 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

DDR5 isn't even deployed yet (as far as i can tell as an outsider), and the first public demos of PCIe 5 / CXL only occurred earlier this week. this isn't coming within the next month. maybe not even a year ._.

He was talking about zen 4 not zen 2. Threadripper 3000 = zen 2. 

So that would make sense, threadripper 1000 and 2000 are intercompatible, 3000 and 4000, and then 5000(zen 4) would be ddr5, and would come out in 2021.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.