How insecure is my home network? - House Tour - Bitdefender Showcase

James

Buy Bitdefender on Amazon: https://geni.us/bBXw

Do you even need an antivirus in 2019? With the emergence of IoT and an exponentially greater number of connected devices, having an antivirus solution that can be used across ALL of your devices is more important than ever. From your laptop to your thermostat, Bitdefender can protect every device you own from being hijacked.

I was hoping to see how exactly the BD box protects your garage door opener setup.   I wanted to do the same thing for my garage and im curious what vulnerabilities are in the system that could be an issue.

I didnt see where the box actaully protects any of the IoT devices like the nest smoke alarm, Nest thermostat, nest camera, or the garage door opener.

I have now started adding IoT devices to my home like light switches etc and I cant see where those things are protected here.

Linus wants to secure his home from threats. He installs a dedicated device to guard it from electronic intruders. In the process he does not seem to notice the grown man in an orange shirt hiding behind the mesh door in his server closet.

I'd like to see how it's better than a properly configured firewall. Is it doing profiling of connections in/out of the network for IoT devices and when it detects anomalies it shuts them down or is it just an inline firewall with parental controls and running bitdefender software?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What's the CPU hit when downloading? I've tried Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, and Windows Defender, and none of them are resource hungry while idle. But throw a download at any of them and it's a totally different story, instantly they'll all jump up to 30-50% of my CPU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I guess Linus shouldn't show his ASUS router on the shelf, which has built-in TrendMicro, a BitDefender competitor...

43 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

What's the CPU hit when downloading? I've tried Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, and Windows Defender, and none of them are resource hungry while idle. But throw a download at any of them and it's a totally different story, instantly they'll all jump up to 30-50% of my CPU.

I'm using Bitdefender on my pc and I've never seen a CPU hit when downloading but I'll double check since I never paid too much attention to it and report back :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

Downloaded a 500MB file at about 150Mbps on Firefox from Nvidia's website and the only CPU usage hit I took was ~5% (up from a base of about 5%) on Firefox itself, Bitdefender's services sat at about 0.1% to 1% usage. Doing a speedtest to max out my gigabit connection saw similar results with maybe 1% usage from bitdefender. I did download a few steam games and I saw it spike up to about 5% of the overall CPU usage for a moment before dropping back down as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

"Protects your network from intruders and vulnerable IOT devices", now please buy this piece of equipment and put it in your network and now install this software on all you stuff with full permissions to do anything on said device. #security

Jokes aside I dont know what this is doing other than.......I couldnt tell. Once the device was installed you had to install bit defender on all your other devices which I would expect are the only devices you can cut the internet connection for and NAT will cut off any knowledge of the devices traffic going through the magic box.

(edit: appears if you want to use your router, it must be bridged)

At best its doing some IPS/IDS based on signatures but I dont know, I saw little of what that box does. 

(edit: "1gbps with its dual core CPU"....yeah that shit aint doing IPS/IDS)

Bitdefender: "Your IoT devices could be hacked (because they run on poorly written closed source software), so you need protection!"

Also Bitdefender: "Install our IoT device to protect your other IoT devices from the ... same vulnerabilities ... that our device... also suffers from."

?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

You got scammed with that gimmick pretty hard Linus. If you need real protection use pfsense and install suricata/snort and pfblockerng......

I've configured my home network to send all DNS traffic on port 53 (even if something has say 8.8.8.8 hard baked into it) via my Pihole which allows me to blacklist any outbound connections quite easily.

Admittedly what I can't so easily do with that setup is block all outbound traffic by IP.

The ISP facing router is set up so that no inbound connections are allowed (unless they've been initiated from inside the network) .

It's not a perfect setup as if someone who's connected knows what they're doing they could statically set themselves up but it works for me given I'm the only person here who knows anything about computers & the internet lol

Mikes_Home_Network.png

6 hours ago, mikeyw64 said:

The ISP facing router is set up so that no inbound connections are allowed (unless they've been initiated from inside the network)

AKA a stateful firewall, default in nearly every consumer router

19 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

AKA a stateful firewall, default in nearly every consumer router

That's the phrase that slipped my mind lol

I expected more from LTT. I often love their showcases because they're sponsored content for potentially cool hardware. 

This looks like snakeoil. I'm disappointed in the integrity of allowing this kind of content just to make a few dollars. 

You can get this bitdefender stuff or just create an airgapped network and keep all the insecure stuff on that.

No need to worry because if they want access to the airgapped network they need either access to the outside connected network or be physically close enough to access it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

just create an airgapped network

You don t even need an air gap:

I'm wonder, do I need this, if my router do all the filtering, and safety thing?

Synology (Synology RT2600AC) do a great job on this field, and I can only recommend.

Also costly, but it's a one-time cost, and not a montly. Also it logs/shows every traffic, every attempt, and be able to set this parent-control thing. For example I set a parent control for every smart-home device, set hour-restriction, and black-whitelisting (not only specific adresses, but also by category). 

Furthermore blocking the adds (as part of parent control), monitor and log the internet-usage, soooo... 

What do you think?

Best: Peter

4 hours ago, Csepi said:

if my router do all the filtering, and safety thing?

With that dual core highly doubt it does any kind of real security checks.....