[help] Installing Fan In Free 3.5" HD Bay Laptop

Hello everyone,

I am not new pc but on this one i need help.

I have a pretty basic laptop which is an HP CB00 NF series, I5 7300HQ and GTX 1050. It's not awesome specs but it does the job.

Issues:

- Temps are not good, so i did a repaste and applied some new pads on the VRM as well and also did an undervolt (-120 mV)

-But still… Issue i've found is that the laptop cooling pipe is okay but the layeout of the coumponents is so bad that the heat accumulates winthin the chasis and cannot disipates effectively.

Solution: I have a spare free 3,5 Hard Drive Bay that i'd like to use to install a fan

Questions:

- What kind of fan should i use ?

- How can i manage to draw power out of the sata port?

- What is the maximum power a sata 3.0 can provide ? 

- What kinf of process do you think it is best to use (kind of fans, sata adaptor etc...) ?

When i benchmark my PC i see a 15% improvement compared to others with similar specs on internet, so HP did not design the laptop too bad but still, it heats up like a toaster if I push it too much. And the only brand i know from experience that have such high thermals (from experience) is Apple. 

I ll be listening to your suggestions carefully!

Thanks 

Type of fan?

• 80mm or less

How to get power from SATA?

• image.png.9b1e38ef125851cbd13b8413b2c02243.png

Maximum power SATA can provide?

• Theoretically 9 amps at 12 volts, but I doubt any laptop meets that full spec of about 100W.

My suggestion

If there is a way for air to be forced through the machine without conflicting with other internal fans I would go for positive pressure. Depending on space I might go with dual slim (10mm thick) 40mm fans and mount them to the bottom hard drive cover. If there are no holes in the bottom hard drive cover I would make some maybe even cut out perfect 40m holes and add fan grills.

I also would add an inset switch to toggle the fans on or off (Or Microcontroller auto control if you got the skill) because 40mm fans are loud even the Noctua ones I would use.

Edit: Or you could split the PWM control wire (Just the control wire) from an internal fan and use 4-pin fans in the hard drive bay.

Hello Andrew and thank you for your clear and quick reply! 

First something i didn't say is that the free hard drive bay is bigger than a basic 3.5" bay because HP uses an anti vibration system like that:

harddrivemounts2.jpg.47003b1c24965d595c5e6ffa50c485f0.jpg

For sata power my understanding is that any fans will do? 

In this case I don't need something with high Rpm because the goal here is to make the Hot Air flows anywhere arround, I mean the heating problem comes from the fact that the air doesn't flow at all so it just slowly accumulates. 

I was thinking of this fanhttps://www.amazon.fr/dp/B002KTZJOQ/ref=twister_B07Y4T81VB

For the Sata to molex cable: I can't figure it out (french Amazon I'am french): https://www.amazon.fr/s?k=sata+to+molex&__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=37FNY3D6DL2SU&sprefix=sata+to+molex%2Caps%2C143&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13

For the fan switch control: 

I think this will be "la cerise sur le gâteau" I have strong skills but i Don't want to go into anything difficult, if only they were selling a fan with a switch included...

For the grill:

I will install everything first do some temp test and then see if i need to drill holes in the chassis but my assumption is that i won't

For the existing laptop fans:

They are at the bottom of the screen, very isolated from the rest of the hardware, Nothing will interfer with them I guess...hqdefault.jpg.ef7ef52466279f27ddbcb4381a66756d.jpg RED BOXES = STUCK HOT AIR

The only real issue could be the thickness of the fan, 25mm would not leave allot of room for airflow. above and around it. Unless you got a fan with great static pressure.

there are blower fans might i add

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On Fri Sep 27 2019 at 6:59 PM, MAWER said:

Hello everyone,

I am not new pc but on this one i need help.

I have a pretty basic laptop which is an HP CB00 NF series, I5 7300HQ and GTX 1050. It's not awesome specs but it does the job.

Issues:

- Temps are not good, so i did a repaste and applied some new pads on the VRM as well and also did an undervolt (-120 mV)

-But still… Issue i've found is that the laptop cooling pipe is okay but the layeout of the coumponents is so bad that the heat accumulates winthin the chasis and cannot disipates effectively.

Solution: I have a spare free 3,5 Hard Drive Bay that i'd like to use to install a fan

Questions:

- What kind of fan should i use ?

- How can i manage to draw power out of the sata port?

- What is the maximum power a sata 3.0 can provide ? 

- What kinf of process do you think it is best to use (kind of fans, sata adaptor etc...) ?

When i benchmark my PC i see a 15% improvement compared to others with similar specs on internet, so HP did not design the laptop too bad but still, it heats up like a toaster if I push it too much. And the only brand i know from experience that have such high thermals (from experience) is Apple. 

I ll be listening to your suggestions carefully!

Thanks 

Check the specs, I doubt it has a 3.5" hdd. Should be 2.5" and 9.5mm thick. 

You right it's 2.5 " my bad

So i someone can explain me what those ports are? Because i might take power from them as well humm...

1406596582_WHATISTHIS.jpg.391efe6e7f466a2d14123ef285b0020b.jpg 

1 is Something to sata male, but rather than connect to the sata end i could connect my fan directly to it? 

2 is a Female connector but no idea what the name of it.

Fan Model I ll buy:

fan.jpg.362431dcebff1e92d1986a93f555e7da.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to send power to it... It's 50*50*15mm

10 hours ago, MAWER said:

You right it's 2.5 " my bad

So i someone can explain me what those ports are? Because i might take power from them as well humm...

1406596582_WHATISTHIS.jpg.391efe6e7f466a2d14123ef285b0020b.jpg 

1 is Something to sata male, but rather than connect to the sata end i could connect my fan directly to it? 

2 is a Female connector but no idea what the name of it.

Fan Model I ll buy:

fan.jpg.362431dcebff1e92d1986a93f555e7da.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to send power to it... It's 50*50*15mm

just pull it form the sata port

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links