do you favor a computer with fan noise?

sandvich64

Do you favor a computer with fan noise?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor a computer with fan noise?

• yes
    • no
    • it depends on the sound

57 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yes, I love the deep hum, but I hate laptop fans.

Most modern laptop(in my experience) are quiet until they get going. Then they go all jet engine like my GTX 780 did at 100% fan speed.

My ThinkPad E595 has been very quiet for the most part though, and it isn't a very high-pitched sound either, so it goes unnoticed most of the time. Compare that to my old Toshiba Satellite that you could always hear.

Massive improvement. I can just about always hear my Ryzen system chugging away under my desk, but that's mostly due to the 2 Corsair AF120s in it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

noisy PC is something I cannot stand.

when gaming it's OK (unless it sounds like a jet plane during take off) but for all the rest (internet, listening to music, writing emails and stuff) no way.

No, who tf would want a loud PC?

If it isn't silent, or at least near silent, then it's not quiet enough.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

7 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

AMD Ryzen 7 stock cooler. You flip the fan speed from L to H and that thing sounds like a jet.

Under load, my 2700x gets the stock Prism turning fast, not very quiet. At least it cools well.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

16 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Well the reality is that computers need fans. Without them, a PC cannot exhaust heat efficently. Yeah sure you can get fanless designs for most componets that need cooling but you still need to exhaust the heat generated in the case effectivley somehow. 

what if you have no case... then no need to move the air. it will just rise up.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

If I could eliminate qcoil whine and other electrical noise, I'd be in heaven without fan noise. 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

previous pc sounded like a jet turbine current pc now  I'm just hearing a low constant whirring fan noise

If I can hear it, it's too loud. If I can only hear it when I put my ear against the case...it's still too loud.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

what if you have no case... then no need to move the air. it will just rise up

even if theres no case, air flowing through the heatsync still accelerates heat dissapation

14 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Most modern laptop(in my experience) are quiet until they get going. Then they go all jet engine like my GTX 780 did at 100% fan speed.

ive noticed that my fan speed is tied directly to the clock speed. if i set it to overboost and lock the clock at max itl go max speed regardless of tempature

@sandvich64 Do you use only headphones when you are using your extra loud pc? If it's as loud as you say you like it, it would be hard to hear something when using speakers.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

@sandvich64 Do you use only headphones when you are using your extra loud pc? If it's as loud as you say you like it, it would be hard to hear something when using speakers.

i only use headphones because no speakers will ever match the realism and i dont hear the fans. but at some times all i can hear is the air flowing through it and sometimes the bearings act up and make an annoying motor sound.

1 minute ago, sandvich64 said:

ever match the realism

Realism of what? Fans blaring? Not sure what you mean by that.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Realism of what? Fans blaring? Not sure what you mean by that.

when you have speakers in front of you the only sense of direction you get is either left right or front. with headphones you can hear all around you, how close something is, and even if somethings above or below you. i mean the realism of the game or video

6 minutes ago, sandvich64 said:

when you have speakers in front of you the only sense of direction you get is either left right or front. with headphones you can hear all around you, how close something is, and even if somethings above or below you. i mean the realism of the game or video

Realism from your 15 usd wallmart headphones?You can hear things above or below? Take a pic of them, gonna go buy them. They seem magical.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

5 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Realism from your 15 usd wallmart headphones?You can hear things above or below? Take a pic of them, gonna go buy them. They seem magical.

well i mean in a video game you would obviously know a helicopter isnt below you if you're on the ground. but they're the 15 dollar sony earbuds and they sound decent out of the box, but if you tweak the equalizer itl sound almost flawless unless you own a 500 dollar headset or something. and they only have the clarity if you put them deep into your ear upside down

Just now, sandvich64 said:

well i mean in a video game you would obviously know a helicopter isnt below you if you're on the ground. but they're the 15 dollar sony earbuds and they sound decent out of the box, but if you tweak the equalizer itl sound almost flawless unless you own a 500 dollar headset or something

Not 500, just not 15. I'm just wondering if they are so great, or you just don't demand much sound wise.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Not 500, just not 15. I'm just wondering if they are so great, or you just don't demand much sound wise.

anything sounds good to me as long as it isnt muffled. its kinda like the difference between a music re upload from 2007 vs 2019

Just now, sandvich64 said:

anything sounds good to me as long as it isnt muffled. its kinda like the difference between a music re upload from 2007 vs 2019

Got it then. You should look up some in ear monitors, there are many of them around 50 or so, they imho would provide more clarity than what you have today.

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Got it then. You should look up some in ear monitors, there are many of them around 50 or so, they imho would provide more clarity than what you have today.

im pretty sure in ear monitors are microphones

14 hours ago, sandvich64 said:

even if theres no case, air flowing through the heatsync still accelerates heat dissapation

yes but it still cooler then being in a case.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

yes but it still cooler then being in a case.

yeah but according to everyone here fan noise is the ultimate evil and a case has *some* noise insulating properties

Sadly I have a laptop and when the fan goes full speed it's like a jet about to take off. Hopefully at christmas I'll build a system and use the laptop I have as a media center.