Could my laptop runs VR?

Go to solution Solved by trufret,
20 hours ago, Dogggo said:

what about with the mixed reality which requires hdmi port?

the thing made by microsoft said my laptop was capable enough to use wmr

A 960m is going to be a poor VR experience assuming your laptop actually has the HDMI out connected to the Nvidia card. Nvidia Optimus laptops are a lot more miss than hit in that department. You really want at least a 1060 6GB card in a laptop for any kind of decent VR experiences.

I have a i5 7300HQ 1060 6GB laptop which is about as low as i'd want to go for anything more complex than beat saber.

The WMR can technically be run on intel integrated graphics but that's not for gaming performance, that's just basic WMR functionality.

Honestly, if you want a decent VR experience, I would suggest getting an Oculus Quest and playing the native games for it now.

In November Oculus is adding the ability to connect the Quest to a PC via USB C cable.

That way you have a decent mobile platform now and can play PCVR games when you get a better system.

o i have a laptop with 960m as its gpu, after i run the vr benchmark thing by steam it used intel hd one and it said my laptop wasn't vr ready but the average quality said it's very high and the fps under 90fps are 13 percent, should i buy a vr headset?

Don't bother, it'll be unpleasant to use on a low spec system like that

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

VR on laptops can be complicated, as it depends if the port your VR headset uses is hardwired to the dedicated GPU or going via the Intel GPU.

From what I've read quite often the HDMI port is on the GPU but the DisplayPort (if you have one) is on the Intel, making it incompatible with the Oculus Rift S but will work with the Vive.  That said, the 960m is likely just a bit under the minimum specifications for VR.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Dogggo said:

o i have a laptop with 960m as its gpu, after i run the vr benchmark thing by steam it used intel hd one and it said my laptop wasn't vr ready but the average quality said it's very high and the fps under 90fps are 13 percent, should i buy a vr headset?

Generally speaking no, it would not to be a good idea to get a VR headset, as most games would not run well enough for it to be worth it, while you may have some success with some games like Minecraft, at the moment your money would probably be better spent getting a desktop that could push VR for the moment, and if you so choose purchasing a VR headset down the line.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

29 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

VR on laptops can be complicated, as it depends if the port your VR headset uses is hardwired to the dedicated GPU or going via the Intel GPU.

From what I've read quite often the HDMI port is on the GPU but the DisplayPort (if you have one) is on the Intel, making it incompatible with the Oculus Rift S but will work with the Vive.  That said, the 960m is likely just a bit under the minimum specifications for VR.

Edited by Dogggo

20 hours ago, Dogggo said:

A 960m is going to be a poor VR experience assuming your laptop actually has the HDMI out connected to the Nvidia card. Nvidia Optimus laptops are a lot more miss than hit in that department. You really want at least a 1060 6GB card in a laptop for any kind of decent VR experiences.

I have a i5 7300HQ 1060 6GB laptop which is about as low as i'd want to go for anything more complex than beat saber.

The WMR can technically be run on intel integrated graphics but that's not for gaming performance, that's just basic WMR functionality.

Honestly, if you want a decent VR experience, I would suggest getting an Oculus Quest and playing the native games for it now.

In November Oculus is adding the ability to connect the Quest to a PC via USB C cable.

That way you have a decent mobile platform now and can play PCVR games when you get a better system.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 2:56 AM, trufret said:

holy s word, thanks for telling me so, i wasnt looking at the quest lately because i underestimated it and when i was seeing now it got some hand tracking in the future, seems very worth it tho

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, Dogggo said:

No, you will likely have a very poor experience with that hardware.