Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PeopledCandy

Borderlands 3 chugging too much?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i think i still have a pretty decent setup, however i am getting pretty bad framerates all things considered in Borderlands 3....

 

Current setup:

- i7 6700K

- Asus Z170 pro gaming

- MSI GTX1080 seahawk

- Corsair 32GB RAM

- all Samsung SSD storage

- all custom loop watercooled

I am running an Acer X34a as my primary monitor (344x1440).

 

However since starting up Bordelands 3 i have noticed for the first time i cant max it out... not even close.

I have had to keep pushing the details lower and lower to a stage that i am now running the game on LOW at 3440x1440 and not managing much more than 70fps (with dips getting pretty low sometimes).

 

Do i blame this on the resolution, could something possibly be wrong, or are games just at a stage where a last Gen high end card cant even run above Low anymore on a new game?


CANDY MADE OF PEOPLE MADE OF CANDY~!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

check the operating temperatures first


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeopledCandy said:

So i think i still have a pretty decent setup, however i am getting pretty bad framerates all things considered in Borderlands 3....

 

Current setup:

- i7 6700K

- Asus Z170 pro gaming

- MSI GTX1080 seahawk

- Corsair 32GB RAM

- all Samsung SSD storage

- all custom loop watercooled

I am running an Acer X34a as my primary monitor (344x1440).

 

However since starting up Bordelands 3 i have noticed for the first time i cant max it out... not even close.

I have had to keep pushing the details lower and lower to a stage that i am now running the game on LOW at 3440x1440 and not managing much more than 70fps (with dips getting pretty low sometimes).

 

Do i blame this on the resolution, could something possibly be wrong, or are games just at a stage where a last Gen high end card cant even run above Low anymore on a new game?

You could always blame the keylogger built into the anti-piracy system....

But in all seriousness it's because their anti-piracy system is a resource HOG and performance suffers.

You could also check temps and see if there are any weird background apps using too much resources.


Current:
Custom SFF AMD Sleeper (Gaming):
- CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.8Ghz all cores

- GPU: Reference RX Vega 64
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3200Mhz
- Storage: 256GB Samsung PM951 NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Black HDD
- Displays: Asus VG248QE 1080p @144hz, 2x Dell SE2417HGR 1080p @60Hz

Dell Precision M6700 (Daily):

- CPU: i7-3720qm @ 3.4GHz all cores
- dGPU: K3000M "Gigahertz Edition" 1006Mhz Core, 2004Mhz MEM

- eGPU: MSI Armour RX 480 4GB
- RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) HyperX Impact @ 1600Mhz
- Storage: 256GB mSATA w/ 2x 1TB WD Black HDDs in RAID 0
- Display: Samsung LTN173HT02 120Hz 1080p internal display With 120Hz Input Mod!

Dell Poweredge R720 (Server):
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5-2667v2 @ 3.6Ghz all cores
RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) @ 1333Mhz

Storage: 1x Intel 160GB SATA III SSD, 15x Seagate SAS Enterprise 1TB HDD in RAID 6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Mnky313 said:

You could always blame the keylogger built into the anti-piracy system....

But in all seriousness it's because their anti-piracy system is a resource HOG and performance suffers.

You could also check temps and see if there are any weird background apps using too much resources.

definitely checked temps and those are all good, no weird background processes either.


CANDY MADE OF PEOPLE MADE OF CANDY~!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

CPU.

 

The games runs in a virtual machine and requires 6+ cores to run well because of it.  AFAIK it can eat most of a core just for the real time code obfuscation/decryption.

Speaking words of aliens to me here bud haha.

 

Well it would really suck if it affected it so much that i cant play on medium and get more than 60fps..... did not think again that my CPU, while a few gens old, would become so useless so quickly.


CANDY MADE OF PEOPLE MADE OF CANDY~!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PeopledCandy said:

Do i blame this on the resolution, could something possibly be wrong, or are games just at a stage where a last Gen high end card cant even run above Low anymore on a new game?

Blame the game, period. Have you by chance tried turning off Fidelity XF? Some people have claimed it breaks an ultra-wide monitor experience in BL3.

1 minute ago, PeopledCandy said:

did not think again that my CPU, while a few gens old, would become so useless so quickly.

It's the game. Plain and simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeopledCandy said:

Speaking words of aliens to me here bud haha.

 

Well it would really suck if it affected it so much that i cant play on medium and get more than 60fps..... did not think again that my CPU, while a few gens old, would become so useless so quickly.

Effectively, the game is emulating a custom CPU/OS just to run the game code.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Blame the game, period. Have you by chance tried turning off Fidelity XF? Some people have claimed it breaks an ultra-wide monitor experience in BL3.

not sure if i tried turning it off, i just went through the presets for Low,Medium,High etc and when playing found anything above Low to be below 60, which is not ok. #firstworldproblems i know but dang. 


CANDY MADE OF PEOPLE MADE OF CANDY~!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PeopledCandy said:

However since starting up Bordelands 3 i have noticed for the first time i cant max it out... not even close.

Obviously you can't max settings this game at 3440x1440p as it is EXTREMELY demanding on GPU and you only have a vanilla GTX 1080.

 

image.thumb.png.f8aaedeba2ad3fdcf4fdf8b2ca29c190.png

 

Considering 3440x1440p is even more demanding than 2560x1440p you should fail to even achieve that 50fps average.

 

Now if you want to play this game you will have to fine tune the settings instead of maxing them out, this video can help you:

 


Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
 
Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Viper Steel |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.


HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Effectively, the game is emulating a custom CPU/OS just to run the game code.

I mean, that sounds cooland all, but seems the trend here is that it is the game and not somthing i can fix.... which then leads me to i guess start thinking if its time to start looking into upgrading.... but thats a tale for a different day.


CANDY MADE OF PEOPLE MADE OF CANDY~!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Obviously you can't max settings this game at 3440x1440p as it is EXTREMELY demanding on GPU and you only have a vanilla GTX 1080.

 

image.thumb.png.f8aaedeba2ad3fdcf4fdf8b2ca29c190.png

 

Considering 3440x1440p is even more demanding than 2560x1440p you should fail to even achieve that 50fps average.

 

Now if you want to play this game you will have to fine tune the settings instead of maxing them out, this video can help you:

 

oh wow. I guess i have been riding a blissfull ignorance train for so long in that any game i wanted to play ran good enough that i didnt notice pains until now.... seems i should start tracking my possible performances more dilligently again.

 

Will try the video fixes and report back just FYI.


CANDY MADE OF PEOPLE MADE OF CANDY~!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PeopledCandy said:

i guess start thinking if its time to start looking into upgrading

Unless you plan to invest 1000 hours into Borderlands 3, upgrading is unnecessary. It's one game. Load up any other Borderlands game and reap the benefit of fps well beyond 100. You get the same entertainment when playing any Borderlands game. Go here, shoot gun over and over until all enemies are dead. Go here, loot this, loot that, try different gun, watch enemy melt, burn up, blow up, electrify, rinse and repeat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PeopledCandy said:

I mean, that sounds cooland all, but seems the trend here is that it is the game and not somthing i can fix.... which then leads me to i guess start thinking if its time to start looking into upgrading.... but thats a tale for a different day.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  6700k/7700k were at the very end of the quad core gaming rig era unfortunately.

 

GTX 1080 is still fairly high on the performance scale though, so you may have to spend considerably more money to get better performance.  BL3 seems to just eat GPUs for no apparent reason as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Game use UE4 + Denuvo.


| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×