Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming fans 100% during startup/CPU post

Delighted

When booting up my pc my gpu fans start ramping up to 100 in an instant during post (4-6) seconds. After cpu posts it goes down to 0 and the system boots normally. I've tried a fresh windows install, bios update, clear cmos and DDU. I also checked the bios if it was some fan control setting, but I couldn't find anything in the bios. I've looked and some reddit posts and some other sites on the web, some say it is normal other say it is not. What do you guys think? Is this easy to fix or is there no fix? 

links to similair threads: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccsi10/gpu_fans_spin_to_100_on_bootwake_with_ryzen_3600/ 

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/ryzen-3rd-gen-100-gpu-fanspeed-during-post.428271/

Pc configuration: 

Ryzen 3600 

Gskill 16GB 3200MHZ

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming 

Corsair RM650x

MSI mortar b450m max

I am not familiar with GB cards but it sounds like one of those dust blow off features

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am not familiar with GB cards but it sounds like one of those dust blow off features

I googled and checked if the card has such feature, but it isn't listed anywere. I know MSI has one (but it doesnt happen when I try booting with my msi r9 280x, maybe a bit too old to have it). 

This is normal. The BIOS and OS take time to initialize and enforce fan speed according to the thermals and load. When you hit the power but it is revved up since cool and loud is better than quiet and toasted

1 hour ago, Delighted said:

When booting up my pc my gpu fans start ramping up to 100 in an instant during post (4-6) seconds. After cpu posts it goes down to 0 and the system boots normally. I've tried a fresh windows install, bios update, clear cmos and DDU. I also checked the bios if it was some fan control setting, but I couldn't find anything in the bios. I've looked and some reddit posts and some other sites on the web, some say it is normal other say it is not. What do you guys think? Is this easy to fix or is there no fix? 

links to similair threads: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccsi10/gpu_fans_spin_to_100_on_bootwake_with_ryzen_3600/ 

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/ryzen-3rd-gen-100-gpu-fanspeed-during-post.428271/

Pc configuration: 

Ryzen 3600 

Gskill 16GB 3200MHZ

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700XT Gaming 

Corsair RM650x

MSI mortar b450m max

Not going to lie I had the same issue before with gigabyte it's the only company that I've seen with this problem. Mine was at 100% for 5 days so I decided to install software still nothing worked so I said screw this and returned it. This is the exact reason I always said gigabyte is not a good company. There is much better options for a similar price 

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Not going to lie I had the same issue before with gigabyte it's the only company that I've seen with this problem. Mine was at 100% for 5 days so I decided to install software still nothing worked so I said screw this and returned it. This is the exact reason I always said gigabyte is not a good company. There is much better options for a similar price 

I get what you are saying, but according to other threads it is not a vendor specific issue. It also happens to rtx 2060 series (founders) users in combination with a third gen ryzen CPU 

54 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

This is normal. The BIOS and OS take time to initialize and enforce fan speed according to the thermals and load. When you hit the power but it is revved up since cool and loud is better than quiet and toasted

Is there a way to make it less loud? The card didn't do this in my old system... (fx 8320) 

1 minute ago, Delighted said:

I get what you are saying, but according to other threads it is not a vendor specific issue. It also happens to rtx 2060 series (founders) users in combination with a third gen ryzen CPU 

Yeah like I'm saying idk what other brands do it but in the market of after market gpus like EVGA etc gigabyte is like the cheap knock off at least how I consider it. 

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Yeah like I'm saying idk what other brands do it but in the market of after market gpus like EVGA etc gigabyte is like the cheap knock off at least how I consider it. 

What on earth are you taking about? Seriously, classifying Gigabyte of all as a cheap knock off is insanity. If you aren't well versed in a topic, don't reply else you just spread confusion and misinformation

7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

What on earth are you taking about? Seriously, classifying Gigabyte of all as a cheap knock off is insanity. If you aren't well versed in a topic, don't reply else you just spread confusion and misinformation

I had 2 gigabyte cards their 1660ti and rtx 2080 they were so bad I went back to EVGA because the constant issues with them is insane also I said from my view so I'm not stating a fact I'm stating my experience 

5 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

I had 2 gigabyte cards their 1660ti and rtx 2080 they were so bad I went back to EVGA because the constant issues with them is insane also I said from my view so I'm not stating a fact I'm stating my experience 

So because you had some unknown issues that might as well be FedEX kicking the box, you go on a forum and fearmonger a brand? Maturity!

10 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It's dictated by the BIOS. Ignore it

I guess I will have to ignore it then, but the only weird thing to me is when I try booting with my r9 280x its fans will not go to 100. What makes it so that the 5700 does so? 

2 minutes ago, Delighted said:

I guess I will have to ignore it then, but the only weird thing to me is when I try booting with my r9 280x its fans will not go to 100. What makes it so that the 5700 does so? 

Probably different fan controller or vBIOS configuration. The 280X may have a separate command in the vBIOS to overright the board command

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Probably different fan controller or vBIOS configuration. The 280X may have a separate command in the vBIOS to overright the board command

If that is so I hope they change this in a vBIOS or BIOS update in the future. 

13 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

This guy has exactly my problem https://forums.evga.com/RTX-2070-XC-Ultra-Fan-spins-really-loud-at-start-up-before-Windows-loads-m2980506.aspx

Fans spin up with his new card and not with his old one. And he even bought a EVGA card ;)

1 minute ago, Delighted said:

If that is so I hope they change this in a vBIOS or BIOS update in the future. 

This guy has exactly my problem https://forums.evga.com/RTX-2070-XC-Ultra-Fan-spins-really-loud-at-start-up-before-Windows-loads-m2980506.aspx

Fans spin up with his new card and not with his old one. And he even bought a EVGA card ;)

Update your motherboard BIOS as well.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Update your motherboard BIOS as well.

I already did that. Forgot to mention. 

I'm on 7B89v23 - AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3abba    

Latest I can get on the website of MSI

Its normal to do that.. My CPU fans, Case fans and CPU all whizz up for a seconds when it first turns on.. guess its some kind of safety feature to make sure nothing is overheating until the temp sensors kick in, But it should only be until the bios actually posts.. 

2 minutes ago, caldrin said:

Its normal to do that.. My CPU fans, Case fans and CPU all whizz up for a seconds when it first turns on.. guess its some kind of safety feature to make sure nothing is overheating until the temp sensors kick in, But it should only be until the bios actually posts.. 

Yeah after it posts the gpu fans go to 0 (zero fan feature). But do your gpu fans also ramp up to 100% or do they just turn on?

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

So because you had some unknown issues that might as well be FedEX kicking the box, you go on a forum and fearmonger a brand? Maturity!

This is not only issue with me most amazon reviews state the same thing some of those cards just do that unless you buy the higher end versions which have their own customized software. I have never had a single issue with any EVGA or other company cards I usually test hardware frequently and gigabyte has been the worst experience I have ever had 

32 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

This is not only issue with me most amazon reviews state the same thing some of those cards just do that unless you buy the higher end versions which have their own customized software. I have never had a single issue with any EVGA or other company cards I usually test hardware frequently and gigabyte has been the worst experience I have ever had 

Your sample size is extremely small. Drawing conclusions based on it is foolhardy

I've tried to google the "issue" again and found that most with almost identical setups did not have the issue, while only a small percentage do. It is not that widely known i think? I've got a friend with a 3700x, b450mb and a 5700xt who does not have this problem. This kinda bugs me as to why it is happening in my pc.. It happens on every boot (be it cold or not) so I'm not sure if it is good for the gpu fans long term.

My GPUs (Sapphire NITRO R9 Fury's) do this on boot-up / waking up from sleep as well.

It will get out of that phase ones the BIOS logo screen comes up.

I'm using a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard.

I don't think my ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard did this...unless is was from a complete power down.
(e.g. PSU switched off from the back)

Similar with my ASUS 990FX Crosshair V Formula / FX-8350 I think.... (haven't touched that system since like 2016).

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Hi, LTT community.

I'm new here, but... I wanted to chime in with my 2 cents.

I am the manager of a System Building brand (Capital® NEO™) from Latvia and I use almost exclusively Gigabyte motherboards and VGA cards. Our System Builders/Engineers noticed as well, that the RX 5700 and the RX 5700 XT's (Gaming OC variants) on PC start-up, VGA fans spin up to 100% and when the Mobo BIOS posts, the fans stop. I contacted Gigabyte that "previously we didn't examine this problem/loud startup". I do hope this is a VGA BIOS problem, that can be fixed in the future, as we have a certain quality standard to uphold and I wouldn't want to jump ship to another manufacturer, just because their VGA cards do not spin at 100% before BIOS post.

The interesting thing is that, we don't have this problem with older motherboards. Example - I put the RX 5700 XT Gaming OC in a MSI H270 PC MATE motherboard and the VGA card wasn't loud at all during start-up (until post), so we can conclude that this doesn't have to be this way. Maybe that is a problem of the AMD chipset/Motherboard BIOS?

My PC specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3600

VGA: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16

MoBo: Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming

NVMe: 512GB intel 660p

NVMe: 1TB Kingston A2000

PSU: FSP Hydro G 750W

Case: FSP CMT340 (with 4x NZXT 120mm fans, controlled by the motherboard)

Just fyi I returned the card and I'm looking for a different one. The junction temperature got around 110 C with 2500 rpm with those small fans which was kinda loud. The shop where I got it from confirmed this by testing the card. I know its normal for reference cards to get this hot and loud, but according to gamersnexus this card only got 90C at 1600 rpm. 

This is kinda off-topic but just to let you guys know.